Programming New Key

joelsin

I just purchased an LS430 2001 that came with only one key. So I purchased a new key from Lexus and had it programmed. The dealer had difficult programming the key so he installed a small black box on the inner windshield which connects to the instrument cluster that houses the lighting and garage door buttons. I was given no explination why the key could not be programmed using the conventional method. My question to the forum is: is this an acceptable method for using this programable key to open the doors and trunk? Would I be better off returning the vehicle to the dealer and have him correct the problem without the use of the black box attached to the windshield?

Regards,

Joelsin

No, he shouldn't have to install anything to program another key, in fact once he cut it you could have programmed it yourself with instructions that are availiable around here somewhere.

Whether you take it back is up to you, if the box he installed (no idea what that is, some sort of booster probably) doesn't bother you then no reason to take it back, but when you paid the dealer what you did for that key ($400 right?) I personally would make them program it properly.

The manual, under (Theft Deterrent - pg 173) says that if the battery was disconnected it would be necessary to " check that the memorized data has been retained. If it has been erased, input it into the computer once more." I feel that, perhaps, the dealer did not realize this and installed the booster to get the door locks and trunk lock to work with the key. I'm only guessing, but having a balck box on my window irratates me to no end. I feel the dealer should have discussed this issue with me before installing additional electornics to the vehicle. Perhaps I should find a new dealer as the warrantee is still in effect. Any thoughts on your end?

Thanks,

joelsin

If it irritates you seriously, you're driving the Lexus flagship and paid the dealer $400 for a key. DEMAND that they program it correctly or take it and the rest of your business to another dealer. Any dealer can fix the mess created by another dealer.

Tell them that if you had wanted someone to jerryrig it like that you would have taken it to PepBoys.