1992 Lexus Ls 400

travelgal100

We get Falken in Australia and they aren't bad for the money. Having said that we don't get snow and conditions here will be way different. Has anyone tried Falken over there?

i have the Falken Ziex ZE 512's 225/60/16 had em on for about a month or so, love em so far. superb wet traction.

more info on these tires as well as others can be found in our wheel and tire section of the forum if you would like to read up on most of our reviews and/or opinions on various tires.

I just put a new set of Kumho Ecsta 716s on my '95 LS. They did a great job in 12" of snow this weekend (Chicago). They also seem to be very quiet. These tires got a great review at tirerack.com, and I paid $59/tire (totalled about $350 mounted, balanced, and waranteed).

I looked at the Kumhos, almost got them but chickened out lol

I have to agree, when I'm shopping for tires I look for the NEGATIVE comments and see how they integrate into the positives and the vehicle the tires are put on. Again, *I'm* not saying the TripleTreads are a bad tire or even not a fantastic tire I'm just saying that TireRack's surveys while very useful need to be dissected to find the real truth out of them. I personally am just as leery of something everyone LOVES and swears is the answer to all life's problems as I am something everyone hates.

That's exactly why I suggested putting ALL reviews from Lexus reviews on tirerack (even though there weren't that many). If you notice the reviews for both the Comfortreads & Triple Treads I posted.......they included both the positive & negative comments.......monarch put only the worst negative comments he could find which is biased & like I said......does a dis-service when trying to assist someone considering tires (one can ALWAYS find something negative to say about one thing or another).

Silver, you are right.......I should have suggested the Falken's I did for you as they are a very good tire.......I guess I left them off the list simply because they are more on the 'high performance' side of things as opposed to an advertisied 'quiet' & smooth running tire (in which they are). They too should be considered as well! B)

www.falkentire.com (Falken Ziex ZE-512)

Wait a few years and you'll see tirerack's ratings of the Comfortreds / Tripletreds will fall substantially and some brand new tire designs will get the top ratings. Tirerack executives are fully aware of this inherent bias in their rating system and they love it boosts sales of their newest tires and these newest tires always have the highest profit margins.

I really have to thank all of you who have taken the time to give me so much information ........

I must confess, I still don't know which way to go ....But with the 30 day test, which I found out from you people, I can't go too wrong....

Thank you all and I will continue to read your advice.....

maybe we ought to do our own reviews around here, a mod can make a list of tires in a sticky and then all that have had them can rate them and put individual reviews, based on experience on our actual Lexus cars.

some tires handle way different from one car to the next, so we could have our own reveiws as other lexus owners can have some direct feedback from one lexus to another

just a thought <_<

I really have to thank all of you who have taken the time to give me so much information ........

I must confess, I still don't know which way to go ....But with the 30 day test, which I found out from you people, I can't go too wrong....

Thank you all and I will continue to read your advice.....

The 30 day no obligation test applies to the Goodyear Triple Tread (I'm not 100% sure how many other tires have that offer), includes a road side assistance program, tire rotation reminder, and other items. B) As you probably know travel.....that is all explained on the Goodyearassurance.com website. Keep us posted on what you decide. You will not go wrong with the Triple Treads & I have them on my short list when it comes time to replace my Toyo's on my 01 ES. Good Luck & I hope in the end you were more informed, than confused. ;)

:cheers:

I just put Perrelli 4000 on my 98 ls400 and they are great but these are v speed tires and cost $135. each does your model require the same?

what OE size tire ht? Your 98 is a different generation & thus a different car. The Pirelli 4000 in travel's size are not available in a V speed rated version (only T speed rating which she can also get in the Goodyear Triple Treads - Max speed of 118 MPH). In a V speed rated tire, choices are the Toyo Proxes TPT, Falken Ziex ZE-512, Michelin MXV4 & Continential Extreme Contact (all are available in H & V speed rated except the Conti). B)

Here is a Toronto GS owners thoughts on the Goodyear Triple Treads! & my response. :whistles: ;)

QUOTE(Tekniq @ Jan 26 2005, 03:10 AM)

I'm in Toronto, Canada. That would nearly make me an expert on the subject.

This is my first Lexus Winter. The GS was testy with the old tires on the snow, but once I purchased a Great new All-Season from Goodyear: the TripleTred Assurance to be exact, it runs through the snow like it ain't nothing.

Having driven SUV's all my life, I was concerned, but with good tires, attention to the road, and confident but sure driving, you will not have a problem in the snow with these tires.

Now I look forward to the snow, if that's at all possible!!

TEK

I couldn't agree more tek! :D B) I have been trying to explain that to folks how good the Goodyear Triple Tread tires are in all weather conditions (including snow & ice)...... & especially on a RWD vehicle to boot! :rolleyes: The good thing about it too is they come in my size & are H speed rated for my 01 ES when the time comes........I still like my Toyo's to be sure, but these new ones from GY are just awesome! :D ;) :whistles:

Hello....

I just purchased a beautiful 1992 Lexus LS400.... I am going to put on new tires....I am looking for a luxury ride vs a "handling" tire....

Unless I read this wrong, travelgal is looking for a the best ride, not a handler in particular conditions. That said, although pricey, you can't go wrong with the Michelin MXV4. By far the best riding tire for the year/make/model travelgal quoted. They're soft, so they won't last as long, but the ride couldn't be smoother and the handling is just fantastic. Those things really dig into the road when you want them to, trust me :whistles:

I rode those for two years and got about 35-40k miles out of them. Unfortunately, I recently had to make a buget decision. I replaced them with a Pirelli model (don't recall which model right now) that is supposedly almost identical to the MXV4, but a little harder, so they should last a little longer. They cost about half as much and I'm pleased with them, but I can tell a difference in the smoothness and handling - I definitely miss the MXV4 and will put them back on the next time around unless, of course, there's something better available then.

Hello....

I just purchased a beautiful 1992 Lexus LS400.... I am going to put on new tires....I am looking for a luxury ride vs a "handling" tire....

Unless I read this wrong, travelgal is looking for a the best ride, not a handler in particular conditions. That said, although pricey, you can't go wrong with the Michelin MXV4. By far the best riding tire for the year/make/model travelgal quoted. They're soft, so they won't last as long, but the ride couldn't be smoother and the handling is just fantastic. Those things really dig into the road when you want them to, trust me :whistles:

I rode those for two years and got about 35-40k miles out of them. Unfortunately, I recently had to make a buget decision. I replaced them with a Pirelli model (don't recall which model right now) that is supposedly almost identical to the MXV4, but a little harder, so they should last a little longer. They cost about half as much and I'm pleased with them, but I can tell a difference in the smoothness and handling - I definitely miss the MXV4 and will put them back on the next time around unless, of course, there's something better available then.

Your on the right track Shaggz, however due to the nature of the rubber & tread compound, the Goodyear Triple Treads would trump the Michelin MXV4 large in the ride quality department. My Toyo's even trump the Michelins......they are not a bad riding tire, I agree, but there are better choices out there. ;) B)

Again though, Michelin just totally redid the MXV4 line I rented an RX with the new MXV4 S8 and thought they were very smooth and quiet, quieter than my Toyos which are very quiet anyways. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Michelin, the question is do you want to pay for them. From a tire shop MXV4s are going to cost you $200 a tire which is just insane unless we're talking about super high performance low sidewall W rated rubber.

You can get them online for a little closer to $150, but thats still a lot considering you can get the Toyo TPTs for $85 or numerous other good tires for this car from Dunlop etc.

Again though, Michelin just totally redid the MXV4 line I rented an RX with the new MXV4 S8 and thought they were very smooth and quiet, quieter than my Toyos which are very quiet anyways. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Michelin, the question is do you want to pay for them. From a tire shop MXV4s are going to cost you $200 a tire which is just insane unless we're talking about super high performance low sidewall W rated rubber.

You can get them online for a little closer to $150, but thats still a lot considering you can get the Toyo TPTs for $85 or numerous other good tires for this car from Dunlop etc.

Your right sw....the Michelins are quite pricy. B)

I bought the Yokohama Avid V4s and they are excellent.  Great traction in rain and very smooth, quiet ride.  As if you are not already confused enough!  I chose these tires based on my own research and seeing some of the responses in the forum.

I've also recommended those tires as well rw! :D B) If it comes in travel's size, the H4S would probably be a better choice for a slightly softer & quieter ride. ;)