16" Alloy Wheel Corrosion

nyoka

We just bought a 2001 rx300 and after taking it home I noticed that the alloy wheels ( especially the front wheels, have varying degrees of corrosion on the inside edges of the spokes. Nothing very serious looking, just some bubbling of whatever coating they put on the wheels, looks like aluminum oxidation when scratched. Is this a common problem, and am I withtin reason to ask for new wheels since the vehicle is still under 50K miles? I look at the wheels as I would the paint; if the paint was bubbling up I would consider that a defect.

Thanks

We just bought a 2001 rx300 and after taking it home I noticed that the alloy wheels ( especially the front wheels, have varying degrees of corrosion on the inside edges of the spokes. Nothing very serious looking, just some bubbling of whatever coating they put on the wheels, looks like aluminum oxidation when scratched.  Is this a common problem, and am I withtin reason to ask for new wheels since the vehicle is still under 50K miles? I look at the wheels as I would the paint; if the paint was bubbling up I would consider that a defect.

Thanks

Is the vehicle still under factory waranty or is it a CPO Lexus? :unsure:

:cheers:

We just bought a 2001 rx300 and after taking it home I noticed that the alloy wheels ( especially the front wheels, have varying degrees of corrosion on the inside edges of the spokes. Nothing very serious looking, just some bubbling of whatever coating they put on the wheels, looks like aluminum oxidation when scratched.  Is this a common problem, and am I withtin reason to ask for new wheels since the vehicle is still under 50K miles? I look at the wheels as I would the paint; if the paint was bubbling up I would consider that a defect.

Thanks

Is the vehicle still under factory waranty or is it a CPO Lexus? :unsure:

:cheers:

The vehicle was still under the original waranty when purchaced one week ago (by about 50 miles) and is also CPO...

Thanks

OEM pads are semi-metallic. They provide brake dusts with fine metal particles - corrosive. They can be nasty when not cleaned regularly. Front brakes take 75-80% of braking, might be the reason they are worse off.

I will try to clean those rims first and ask the dealer to replace them under warranty.