Egr Excessive Flow

Have you reset the ECU? It could be that the fault code is still in the system and needs to be cleared. Reset the ECU and drive the car. If it comes back on then maybe it's the same problem as before (excessive egr flow) or another sensor has triggered a fault code. Check all of your hoses that go to the egr and modulator to make sure they aren't connected incorrectly.

Have you reset the ECU?  It could be that the fault code is still in the system and needs to be cleared.  Reset the ECU and drive the car.  If it comes back on then maybe it's the same problem as before (excessive egr flow) or another sensor has triggered a fault code.  Check all of your hoses that go to the egr and modulator to make sure they aren't connected incorrectly.

I did reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative terminal for about a minute. Is there a better way?

Have you reset the ECU?  It could be that the fault code is still in the system and needs to be cleared.  Reset the ECU and drive the car.  If it comes back on then maybe it's the same problem as before (excessive egr flow) or another sensor has triggered a fault code.  Check all of your hoses that go to the egr and modulator to make sure they aren't connected incorrectly.

I did reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative terminal for about a minute. Is there a better way?

I thought it was longer to fully reset the ECU. Something like 30 minutes. I could be wrong though, somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken. To be on the safe side, I personally reset it longer than a minute. Have you had the check engine light diagnosed again to make sure it's not another fault code?

member blake918 had that cel 0402 before and finally solved it by changing his VSV. Before that He changed the EGR valve&modulator without success. Read this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...excessive++flow

You may want to try other cleaning suggestions before replacing parts. Also, check your intake tube for cracks, pinholes, leaks. How's the car driving/idling? Any symptoms?

member blake918 had that cel 0402 before and finally solved it by changing his VSV. Before that He changed the EGR valve&modulator without success.  Read this thread:

You may want to try other cleaning suggestions before replacing parts.  Also, check your intake tube for cracks, pinholes, leaks. How's the car driving/idling? Any symptoms?

Car is running pretty good, the only thing that I noticed is that it is shifting later than it should. I noticed that and then the check engine light came on for the first time.

member blake918 had that cel 0402 before and finally solved it by changing his VSV. Before that He changed the EGR valve&modulator without success.  Read this thread:

You may want to try other cleaning suggestions before replacing parts.  Also, check your intake tube for cracks, pinholes, leaks. How's the car driving/idling? Any symptoms?

Car is running pretty good, the only thing that I noticed is that it is shifting later than it should. I noticed that and then the check engine light came on for the first time.

Yes also check on your Mass Air Flow sensor,sometimes that go bad. My ES300 still running as new from the day one. Miracle!

• 2 weeks later...
The EGR is stuck open. I would replace the entire EGR valve.  Please use new lexus part.  Typical problem on V6.

JPI

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

Well, I replaced the EGR with a new one and still get the excessive flow. A friend of mine said it could be the oxygen sensor but I would think that I would get a different error code. Any suggestions?

I have a 96 ES300 that is getting a check engine light for excessive flow. I changed the EGR and vacuum modulator (I got a used part) and cleaned the throttle body but I still get the excessive flow check engine light. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Update:

I replace the EGR valve with a new one and the same code is in -- excessive flow. Any suggestions?