A/c Stopped

antim

I have just spent over $8000 this year Getting my 1996 ES 300 with less than 100k mile repaired..lot's of things replaced. Altenator, water pump, batteries, brakes, cv joints, motormounts, powersteering system, the list goes on and on....

Now my AC stopped working, and I live in the Desert. Mechanic said the compressor wouldn't turn on, did some checks and said the electronic temerature control unit is bad. A $700 part! Everytime I think I finally have my car working it's something else. I am going through a bitter divorce and can't get rid of the car right now, does anyone out there have ANY suggestions?

TIA,

LVC

UPDATE: I just ran the code check and it came back 23.

Also when I picked it up from the mechanic i drove about 5 miles and the check engine light came on. I called pep/autzone, can't get me in till morning I also scheduled an appt with the Lexus dealer here, but would love to not have to go. Anything?

LVC

Did the mechanic touch anything else on the car that possibly could have triggered it? Then again, it could be coincidence that the light came on after you left his shop. As far as your a/c problem, if you have an ebay account, there is a seller who is selling parts off of ES300's from our generation. If you are interested in looking up this seller on ebay, you can send an e-mail to me.

UPDATE:

Back to the mechanic this morning. He hooked the car to the computer to get the "codes" and about an hour later said "Drive the car and let me know if this happens again" No charge. I left (the check engine light was now off) and began to get cold, I looked down and the A/C was on max cold! What! I called and he told me that they reset the computer and everything started working. They let the car run a while to see if anything would happen and everything was good.

What do you think? is the car OK? Or is it time to give-up on her?

LVC

UPDATE:

Back to the mechanic this morning. He hooked the car to the computer to get the "codes" and about an hour later said "Drive the car and let me know if this happens again" No charge. I left (the check engine light was now off) and began to get cold, I looked down and the A/C was on max cold! What! I called and he told me that they reset the computer and everything started working. They let the car run a while to see if anything would happen and everything was good.

What do you think? is the car OK? Or is it time to give-up on her?

LVC

Don't throw in the towel yet. I didn't think one could fix an AC problem by clearing a code, but if its working then go with it.