First Snow Experience With Toyo Proxes Tpts...

SW03ES

I'm happy with the noise isolation and the ride, mine seem to be getting quieter as they age.

Same here....much quieter than the Michelin MXV4's that were on my ES. ;)

:cheers:

I posted the noise question right after I got my new tires. It is either the noise is going away with age or I am just getting used to it.

As the tire wears, the noise dissipates. I found them fairly quiet when I first got mine.....they are even quieter now after about 10,000 miles. B)

OK guys, sorry I'm a little late jumping onto the bandwagon. Blame it on CL for using up all my time with my moderator duties there LOL ;)

As Lexusfreak mentioned from one of his posts, I'm running Toyo Proxes TPT on my '01 ES since the day it was purchased (which has been for a year and 9 months). The car came with the TPT's when I bought it, so I'm guessing the tires have been on for maybe 2 years or so.

At any rate, these tires are strictly the best all-season performance tires money can buy. As far as winter goes, the Toyo's run great under wet and snowy conditions. That being said, I have never needed to change to snow tires. Forget about ice, NO tire will stick with ice, ever. When you drive over a small patch of ice, it's all about driver control, as the way it should be for the rest of your winter driving.

Also, it's a wise idea to put some weight in the trunk and/or have passengers in the back seat if you're driving on a heavily snow-covered road. I picked up my parents from the airport one time in my '01 ES, and had all their luggage fill up my trunk. It was snowing the entire drive on the way back home, and everyone was driving super slow and cautiously stayed in the slow lane, but I was passing every car on the highways and never lost control during the snowy drive because of all the weight in the rear :)

Everyone will have a different perspective on a certain tire brand and type, but I can say with 100% confidence that the Toyo Proxes TPT is an excellent choice for an all-season tire, and for a winter tire :cheers:

LexusK:

Great response, thanks I was beginning to second guess my thought of changing my tires on my '01 ES300. The weather in Chi-town has been brutal! In Midwest winters, I can't afford to make a wrong tire decision. Great post!!! :cheers:

OK guys, sorry I'm a little late jumping onto the bandwagon.  Blame it on CL for using up all my time with my moderator duties there LOL ;)

As Lexusfreak mentioned from one of his posts, I'm running Toyo Proxes TPT on my '01 ES since the day it was purchased (which has been for a year and 9 months).  The car came with the TPT's when I bought it, so I'm guessing the tires have been on for maybe 2 years or so.

At any rate, these tires are strictly the best all-season performance tires money can buy.  As far as winter goes, the Toyo's run great under wet and snowy conditions.  That being said, I have never needed to change to snow tires.  Forget about ice, NO tire will stick with ice, ever.  When you drive over a small patch of ice, it's all about driver control, as the way it should be for the rest of your winter driving.

Also, it's a wise idea to put some weight in the trunk and/or have passengers in the back seat if you're driving on a heavily snow-covered road.  I picked up my parents from the airport one time in my '01 ES, and had all their luggage fill up my trunk.  It was snowing the entire drive on the way back home, and everyone was driving super slow and cautiously stayed in the slow lane, but I was passing every car on the highways and never lost control during the snowy drive because of all the weight in the rear :)

Everyone will have a different perspective on a certain tire brand and type, but I can say with 100% confidence that the Toyo Proxes TPT is an excellent choice for an all-season tire, and for a winter tire  :cheers:

I disagree since my Dunlap's 4000 had a more aggressive thread pattern then my Toyo's. Are toyo's are good tire yes, but so far my last 2 years in snow was better then this year with Toyo's.

OK guys, sorry I'm a little late jumping onto the bandwagon.  Blame it on CL for using up all my time with my moderator duties there LOL ;)

As Lexusfreak mentioned from one of his posts, I'm running Toyo Proxes TPT on my '01 ES since the day it was purchased (which has been for a year and 9 months).  The car came with the TPT's when I bought it, so I'm guessing the tires have been on for maybe 2 years or so.

At any rate, these tires are strictly the best all-season performance tires money can buy.  As far as winter goes, the Toyo's run great under wet and snowy conditions.  That being said, I have never needed to change to snow tires.  Forget about ice, NO tire will stick with ice, ever.  When you drive over a small patch of ice, it's all about driver control, as the way it should be for the rest of your winter driving.

Also, it's a wise idea to put some weight in the trunk and/or have passengers in the back seat if you're driving on a heavily snow-covered road.  I picked up my parents from the airport one time in my '01 ES, and had all their luggage fill up my trunk.  It was snowing the entire drive on the way back home, and everyone was driving super slow and cautiously stayed in the slow lane, but I was passing every car on the highways and never lost control during the snowy drive because of all the weight in the rear :)

Everyone will have a different perspective on a certain tire brand and type, but I can say with 100% confidence that the Toyo Proxes TPT is an excellent choice for an all-season tire, and for a winter tire :cheers:

Well said Doug! B) You & I are on the exact same page (especially on the ice issue as far as all season tires go.......if one wants 'ice' traction you will need actual 'studded' winter tires which, for the time being at least......are illegal in southern & central Ontario.......northern Ontario they are permitted. Check with your respected state law accordingly). B)

mburn....your right, the Dunlop's you mention do have a more aggressive tread pattern.......that's because they are considered an 'ultra high performance all season' as opposed to the Toyo TPT.....they are a 'Touring performance tire', hence the name, so were not comparing apples to apples here. ;)

mburn....your right, the Dunlop's you mention do have a more aggressive tread pattern.......that's because they are considered an 'ultra high performance all season' as opposed to the Toyo TPT.....they are a 'Touring performance tire', hence the name, so were not comparing apples to apples here.   ;)

I know and both have good and bad points (as I now see and feel). So why are the Dunlap are for "all season" and the Toyo's are not?

Proxes TPT are stated "High Performance All-Season" with stated traction A.

"Well-balanced sipes for wet traction. Unidirectional, touring-performance, all-season tread design.Aggressive siping. M & S rated.Low-noise tread design. "

Dunlap SP Sport 4000 A/S are stated "High Performance All-Season" with stated traction A-

"Maximum grip in ice and snow. Optimized grip, control, energy absorption and treadwear in a wide range of driving and weather conditions. "

Both look like the same write up but so far the "Maximum grip in ice and snow" seems to fair better then "M & S rated" Toyo's.

If anything I would expect the Toyos to be better in the snow than the Dunlops because the Dunlop is an Ultra High Performance tire while the Toyo is a touring tire with thinner sidewalls. I would expect better snow performance when moving DOWN from an UHP tire to a touring tire with tradeoffs in handling.

Looks like we may get too much snow here to risk trying the Lexus out, 10-12 inches...

I know and both have good and bad points (as I now see and feel). So why are the Dunlap are for "all season" and the Toyo's are not?

Proxes TPT are stated "High Performance All-Season" with stated traction A.

"Well-balanced sipes for wet traction. Unidirectional, touring-performance, all-season tread design.Aggressive siping. M & S rated.Low-noise tread design. "

Dunlap SP Sport 4000 A/S are stated "High Performance All-Season" with stated traction A-

"Maximum grip in ice and snow. Optimized grip, control, energy absorption and treadwear in a wide range of driving and weather conditions. "

Both look like the same write up but so far the "Maximum grip in ice and snow" seems to fair better then "M & S rated" Toyo's.

All season tires are required (with the M & S stamp on the sidewall) to provide traction in 'light snow' in order to be called an 'all season' tire. The Toyo's do provide this, and a good job in 'light snow' (ice is not it's fote which nobody is disputing, & the Toyo's do not go out of their way to state that as you mention). The Dunlop is under a different category overall then the Toyo in many ways.....I have no experence with this tire so I wll reserve judgement. I do know that the Dunlops (because of the UHPAS designation & stiffer sidewalls & rubber compound) do not provide the ride quality, longevity or comfort that the Toyo's provide in normal dry road conditions (the Toyo's sacriface the 'overall' winter traction to acheive this). Both have their pro's & con's........that's why I said also that the perfect tire has yet to be invented. Do me a favour, if you find the perfect tire, let me know & I'll do the same if I discover it before you.......we might be waiting a long time mind you! ;) B)

Bottom line, the pro's far out number the con's with the TPT because of the tires 'primary' function (which is comfortable & quiet riding tire....which compliments the type if car the ES is, with long mileage wear & very good wet weather performance and for the price is excellent value......in a V or H speed rated package). It may not be at the top of their respected 'segment' but nowhere near the bottom either. B)

If anything I would expect the Toyos to be better in the snow than the Dunlops because the Dunlop is an Ultra High Performance tire while the Toyo is a touring tire with thinner sidewalls. I would expect better snow performance when moving DOWN from an UHP tire to a touring tire with tradeoffs in handling.

Looks like we may get too much snow here to risk trying the Lexus out, 10-12 inches...

Sw, no all season tire is designed to handle that kind of snow fall......I don't care if the tire cost's $1000 a piece or a new tire called 'God's all seasons' are available. :blink::rolleyes: Close to a foot of snow on an all season tire........ummmmmm.........no it's not even realistic. It's is too much risk for any vehicle with all season tires......that would include AWD ones as well, not just a Lexus ES with Toyo's.:whistles: :blink: If anyone actually tries to do that.......you should listen very carefully.......as you will hear your all season tires laugh hysterically at laugh at the person :lol: & the news coverage of all the accidents will reflect that . ;) :whistles:

Sw, no all season tire is designed to handle that kind of snow fall......I don't care if the tire cost's $1000 a piece or a new tire called 'God's all seasons' are available. :blink::rolleyes: Close to a foot of snow on an all season tire........ummmmmm.........no it's not even realistic. It's is too much risk for any vehicle with all season tires......that would include AWD ones as well, not just a Lexus ES with Toyo's.:whistles: :blink: If anyone actually tries to do that.......you should listen very carefully.......as you will hear your all season tires laugh hysterically at laugh at the person :lol: & the news coverage of all the accidents will reflect that . ;):whistles:

I like the Toyo's bigtime, except for the ever slowly to stop road noise and the performance in snow (ie below 6 inches). Maybe it is not the tires but so far the wife and myself feel driving in the last 3 little storms was very slick when comapred to the last 2-years with Dunlaps.

In the long run I hope the tires, Toyo last longer then then Dunlaps. Which were all gone after 22K miles! That was unreal.

Sw, no all season tire is designed to handle that kind of snow fall......I don't care if the tire cost's $1000 a piece or a new tire called 'God's all seasons' are available. :blink::rolleyes: Close to a foot of snow on an all season tire........ummmmmm.........no it's not even realistic. It's is too much risk for any vehicle with all season tires......that would include AWD ones as well, not just a Lexus ES with Toyo's.:whistles: :blink: If anyone actually tries to do that.......you should listen very carefully.......as you will hear your all season tires laugh hysterically at laugh at the person :lol: & the news coverage of all the accidents will reflect that . ;) :whistles:

My last diesel truck had all seasons and was fine in 18+ inches of snow! Maybe the 4x4 helped! )

Sw, no all season tire is designed to handle that kind of snow fall......I don't care if the tire cost's $1000 a piece or a new tire called 'God's all seasons' are available. :blink::rolleyes: Close to a foot of snow on an all season tire........ummmmmm.........no it's not even realistic. It's is too much risk for any vehicle with all season tires......that would include AWD ones as well, not just a Lexus ES with Toyo's.:whistles: :blink: If anyone actually tries to do that.......you should listen very carefully.......as you will hear your all season tires laugh hysterically at laugh at the person :lol: & the news coverage of all the accidents will reflect that . ;):whistles:

My last diesel truck had all seasons and was fine in 18+ inches of snow! Maybe the 4x4 helped! )

I assume they were a LT all season tire as opposed to a passenger car all season? ;)

Well the snow was a dud, we got about 5 inches. I'm going to take the Lexus out here in a little while and see how the tires handle. I've been tooling around in the Explorer all day (on M+S tires BTW ;) ) and have had some interesting experiences. One was a guy in a Camaro trying to get up a slight rise on 270 getting sideways and hammering the throttle harder the more he slipped. That was enjoyable.

Well the snow was a dud, we got about 5 inches. I'm going to take the Lexus out here in a little while and see how the tires handle. I've been tooling around in the Explorer all day (on M+S tires BTW ;) ) and have had some interesting experiences. One was a guy in a Camaro trying to get up a slight rise on 270 getting sideways and hammering the throttle harder the more he slipped. That was enjoyable.

LOL sw......that must have been a sight to see......I wouldn't even drive that car with 4 studded snows on it & heavy items in the back for weight. :lol:

That was almost as funny as the RWD Toyota pickup trying to get up a local hill lol. He looked like me on Wed.!

Didn't get a chance to get out, its really cold here and they're having problems with the roads freezing so I don't want to risk getting the Lexus stuck in a ditch so if I go back out its going to be in the Explorer.

That was almost as funny as the RWD Toyota pickup trying to get up a local hill lol. He looked like me on Wed.!

Didn't get a chance to get out, its really cold here and they're having problems with the roads freezing so I don't want to risk getting the Lexus stuck in a ditch so if I go back out its going to be in the Explorer.

WE got 4 to 5 inches already. We are to get 12 to 18" At Least I can drive my Kubota BX22 in the snow! :D

Most of the backroads including my road are unplowed still (which is inexcusable, it was only 4" but thats another topic) and I got to get the Lexus out today.

The tires are a total disaster in the snow.

As soon as they hit anything snowy they immediately get very squirrly and loose grip. Any kind of throttle makes the car immobile with flashing traction lights. Never like that with the other tires.

They must have made some change to the rubber compound on these tires, my tires and mb's tires are much newer than LF's or Lexusk8's tires maybe that explains it.

Definately can't drive through any snowstorms on theese though.

Most of the backroads including my road are unplowed still (which is inexcusable, it was only 4" but thats another topic) and I got to get the Lexus out today.

The tires are a total disaster in the snow.

As soon as they hit anything snowy they immediately get very squirrly and loose grip. Any kind of throttle makes the car immobile with flashing traction lights. Never like that with the other tires.

They must have made some change to the rubber compound on these tires, my tires and mb's tires are much newer than LF's or Lexusk8's tires maybe that explains it.

Definately can't drive through any snowstorms on theese though.

Perhaps thats the case sw.....although I thought you purchased your TPT's after I did? :blink: weird :huh: . I drove to my parents today after a 4 -6" snowfall yesterday....roads were plowed but not very well at all (many slick spots & slushy stuff especially in turns in the road). with the temp of -18 degrees c, or 0 degrees f. I slipped once in a turn which in all honestly I was going a tad too fast, but my traction control & VSC kicked in to let me know I was going to fast. Other than that, my drive was routine for the weather conditions & the round trip was uneventful & I returned safe & sound (although I did pass 2 accidents on my round trip) and I was not 'white-knuckled' at any point. I'm sorry you have lost 'confidence' with your Toyo's. :(