Trunk Lid Lifts Installation

brucelee

I just purchased a new set of trunk supports for my Sc400. I am presuming I can get to the old ones by pulling off the trunk insulation material along the back wall?

The new supports are a straight hyd rod and I guess I am puzzled how this is all going to work given the curved hinges you can see coming out of the wall in the back.

Am I worrying for nothing?

Thanks

:P

Take the rubber like bumpers off the hinges so the new ones can be installed in the fully extended condition.

I had to use a dremel tool to remove the ball from the old lifts. I purchased the lifts from E-bay. The e-bay ones had a lot more power than stock.

I just purchased a new set of trunk supports for my Sc400.  I am presuming I can get to the old ones by pulling off the trunk insulation material along the back wall?

The new supports are a straight hyd rod and I guess I am puzzled how this is all going to work given the curved hinges you can see coming out of the wall in the back.

Thanks

This is a pretty easy fix and you wont get hit on the head unloading groceries anymore! It's been a few months since I replaced mine, but here is what I recall.

You will need to take out all of the trunk liner to have the most room to work. I even laid down inside to do the job. Like Johnny said, you will need to take off the rubber stops that clip onto the bars so you can fully extend the lid. Then prop it open or tie it off with rope before you take the old struts off.

As for the ball joint attachment, if your new strut came with a ball on the end you should have no problems, otherwise do your best and follow the instructions with the new strut.

Depending on your model, you will need box end wrenches to remove the ball joint and a screwdriver or something to pry off the metal clip on the end of the strut.

Hardest thing about this fix was the cramped location, but its easy.

• 3 weeks later...
I just purchased a new set of trunk supports for my Sc400.  I am presuming I can get to the old ones by pulling off the trunk insulation material along the back wall?

Thanks

This is a pretty easy fix and you wont get hit on the head unloading groceries anymore! It's been a few months since I replaced mine, but here is what I recall.

You will need to take out all of the trunk liner to have the most room to work. I even laid down inside to do the job. Like Johnny said, you will need to take off the rubber stops that clip onto the bars so you can fully extend the lid. Then prop it open or tie it off with rope before you take the old struts off.

As for the ball joint attachment, if your new strut came with a ball on the end you should have no problems, otherwise do your best and follow the instructions with the new strut.

Depending on your model, you will need box end wrenches to remove the ball joint and a screwdriver or something to pry off the metal clip on the end of the strut.

Hardest thing about this fix was the cramped location, but its easy.

Just replaced my trunck struts, bought from rockauto, received them in only 3 days. Probably spent more time reading the somewhat confusing directions than actually replacing the struts.

Thanks for the note about removing the bumper guard when installing the new ones. I only had one on the right side of the trunk hinge, and just rotated it to the right. Then the trunk would fully open so I could get the pin in OK.

Suggestions on removal: First pry the clip from the end farthest away with a screwdriver, and don't worry about damaging the clip because you're not going to use it again. Then, with an open end wrench, remove the bolt from the ball end, using the bolt near the ball (not on the other side of the hinge). It just unscrews. I started with a large adjustable wrench because it was hard to get started.

When installing the new one, start at the far end first, with the clip. I tapped it in place with a hammer (lightly) to get it to go far enough to the small ridge, where the clip holds it in place. Then insert the bolt at the ball end and screw in. After I figured it out and saw how easy it was, I didn't even crawl into the trunk to remove and replace the second one.

I just ordered the ones from Rock Auto as the EBAY supports I bought are useless.

Local Lex Dealer wanted $144 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crooks.

Rock Auto Price is $39 for both plus shipping.

Thanks for all the help.

Did you buy aftermarker?  If so where

OEM are around $100

AN IMPORTANT NOTE:

I know this might sound silly, but make sure someone is home to check on you once in a while if you plan on laying down inside the trunk to access those pesky shocks. You don't want your family to discover your decayed body 2 weeks after the 50 pound lid accidentally drops and locks you in. Scary isnt it?

Not silly at all. I thought about it when I was in the trunk with my leg keeping the trunk open. Caution is the word.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE:

I know this might sound silly, but make sure someone is home to check on you once in a while if you plan on laying down inside the trunk to access those pesky shocks. You don't want your family to discover your decayed body 2 weeks after the 50 pound lid accidentally drops and locks you in. Scary isnt it?

I just ordered the ones from Rock Auto as the EBAY supports I bought are useless.

Crooks.

Thanks for all the help.

OEM are around $100

I got my ebay shocks to work by using a dremel to get the ball stud out and altering the clips a bit to go on the other end. It took me about 45 minutes to do the entire job. Do you still have the ebay shocks? I may be interested in them. PM me if you have them and want to sell them.

Sorry, I threw them out in disgust. Once I got them on, they would not hold the lid open, I assume they were for a non-spoiler car.

Crooks.

Thanks for all the help.

OEM are around $100

I got my ebay shocks to work by using a dremel to get the ball stud out and altering the clips a bit to go on the other end. It took me about 45 minutes to do the entire job. Do you still have the ebay shocks? I may be interested in them. PM me if you have them and want to sell them.

I just put on the Rock Auto supports. They were absolutely OEM and went on in minutes. Highly recommended and the trunk flies open and stays high away from your head.

Way to go.

:cheers:

Sorry, I threw them out in disgust. Once I got them on, they would not hold the lid open, I assume they were for a  non-spoiler car.

Crooks.

Thanks for all the help.

OEM are around $100