Maintenance Questions

Level8Drummer

Hey, My Father's got a 99 Lexus LS400. It's got around 90k miles, and He's about to get the timing belt and water pump replaced. I have a couple of questions:

Do the following fluids need to be changed?

Differential (also, is it limited slip, or just with electronic traction control?)

Power Steering

Also, the spark plugs, should they be changed at 90k, or only if they look worn out?

And is the brake fluid DOT 4?

Thanks

Level8Drummer

Hey, My Father's got a 99 Lexus LS400.  It's got around 90k miles, and He's about to get the timing belt and water pump replaced.  I have a couple of questions:

Do the following fluids need to be changed?

Differential (also, is it limited slip, or just with electronic traction control?)

Power Steering

Also, the spark plugs, should they be changed at 90k, or only if they look worn out?

And is the brake fluid DOT 4?

Thanks

Level8Drummer

Depending on whether or not the last time those fluids you mentioned have been changed, I would get it all done (especially the engine coolant since your changing the TB & water pump). Consider using Toyota / Lexus 'new' Super Long Life engine coolant that is Pink in colour......it comes already 'pre-mixed' with a 55% Coolant & 45% distilled water mixture. It's good for 5 years or 150,000 miles if a complete flush is done & get 2 jugs at your local dealers parts department.

As for the brake fluid, I think that year LS has DOT 3 fluid, but Valvoline has a brake fluid (synpower) that is good for both DOT 3 & 4 applications.

If the plugs haven't been changed, I'd get them done too......use Iridium either NGK or Denso's.

Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

yes i agree with freak.

do all of it, i mean you might as well, get a fresh start on everything, it will make the car last a lot longer, and drive much smoother and more efficient (sp)

if these cars are properly maintaned the will run for a VERY long time

the good news is besides the TB and WP.........if you have any mechanical skills whatsover those other maintenence items are a breez to DIY, it will save you a lot of money.