Advice Needed

I am a loyal lexus consumer on my 2nd GS300.  I am moving from florida to michigan and am concerned about driving in wintery weather.  What is your experience?  Thanks!

Not sure how much experence you have with winter driving (if you have lived in Florida all your life or not), but I would suggest several things......a really good set of winter tires or the VERY best all season tire you can get. Next, if your unfamiliar driving in snow & ice, take a 'professional' winter driving course to learn especially on your RWD GS. Failing that, consider trading your RWD Lexus in for an ES or AWD RX (or perhaps a 2006 AWD GS). B)

:cheers:

I drive a GS430 in Minnesota with Bridgestone Blizzaks and a bag of sand in the trunk. All I can say is that it drives and handles better than my Acura CL (FWD) with all-season rubber in the snow and ice.

I only use "snow" mode in heavy snow or in really icy conditions. I haven't had any professional driving training but I've been driving for about 22 years.

I live on the East Coast of Canada and we have had more than 4 feet of snow over the last week.

My 98 GS400 has all season tires on it and is more than a handful to drive.

Generally I throw on the Snow setting and leave the traction control on. If I'm going up a hill and starting to slow thanks to the Traction Control, I'll take it off and spin up the hill.

All the same, just take it easy and there should be no problems.

Ah yes, the traction-defeating control. I thought it was bad yesterday (4 inches of snow). I got stuck coming up a 5% grade into my garage. Today, another inch, and I got stuck backing out of the garage. Wow, almost reminds me of the two German cars I had in the past. Off with the VSC, and spin that baby! :pirate:

I'm in Toronto, Canada. That would nearly make me an expert on the subject.

This is my first Lexus Winter. The GS was testy with the old tires on the snow, but once I purchased a Great new All-Season from Goodyear: the TripleTred Assurance to be exact, it runs through the snow like it ain't nothing.

Having driven SUV's all my life, I was concerned, but with good tires, attention to the road, and confident but sure driving, you will not have a problem in the snow with these tires.

Now I look forward to the snow, if that's at all possible!!

TEK

I'm in Toronto, Canada.  That would nearly make me an expert on the subject. 

This is my first Lexus Winter.  The GS was testy with the old tires on the snow, but once I purchased a Great new All-Season from Goodyear: the TripleTred Assurance to be exact, it runs through the snow like it ain't nothing.

Having driven SUV's all my life, I was concerned, but with good tires, attention to the road, and confident but sure driving, you will not have a problem in the snow with these tires. 

TEK

I couldn't agree more tek! :D B) I have been trying to explaint to folks how good the Goodyear Triple Tread tires are in all weather conditions (including snow & ice)...... :rolleyes: & especially on a RWD vehicle to boot! :whistles: The good thing about it too is they come in my size & are H speed rated for my 01 ES when the time comes........I still like my Toyo's to be sure, but these new ones from GY are just awesome! ;)

I'm in Toronto, Canada.  That would nearly make me an expert on the subject. 

This is my first Lexus Winter.  The GS was testy with the old tires on the snow, but once I purchased a Great new All-Season from Goodyear: the TripleTred Assurance to be exact, it runs through the snow like it ain't nothing.

TEK

I couldn't agree more tek! :D B) I have been trying to explaint to folks how good the Goodyear Triple Tread tires are in all weather conditions (including snow & ice)...... :rolleyes: & especially on a RWD vehicle to boot! :whistles: The good thing about it too is they come in my size & are H speed rated for my 01 ES when the time comes........I still like my Toyo's to be sure, but these new ones from GY are just awesome! ;)

Good to hear, Lex.. Looks like we both made a good choice.. ;) I was totally going performance, and then a set of winters, but my boy showed me the ratings these all seasons were getting, so I hopped on board and am now a firm supporter for anyone using these for sure-footed, all season traction.