Help. Key Fob Will Not Work. Dealer Wants $180

H8R Proof

Hi everyone - Happy New Year

I posted about this about a month ago...but still need help.

My remote key thing will not work. I've had several new batteries put in, still nothing. Checked the manual and I don't have that particular switch underneath the steering wheel to turn on/off.

Today I finally visited the dealer and after trying one last time with a new battery, they decided that I need a new key thing/transmittor altogether. Cost: $180 *ouch*

So...is there any way around this? Can these keyfobs be purchased online or elsewhere cheaper, and then taken to the dealer for programming?

In the meantime I have to open my door manually with the key and MAN DO I HATE IT <_<

Thanks!!

Consider yourself somewhat lucky...the price for a new remote keyless entry key for my 91 LS400 costs almost $300. I decided to do without as well, but I'm getting kind of tired of it after about 6 months. Mine didn't stop working though, I just lost it :cries:

I'm considering an aftermarket remote keyless + alarm system. Any recommedations out there?

My remote key thing will not work.  I've had several new batteries put in, still nothing.  Checked the manual and I don't have that particular switch underneath the steering wheel to turn on/off.

Today I finally visited the dealer and after trying one last time with a new battery, they decided that I need a new key thing/transmittor altogether.  Cost:  $180  *ouch*

So...is there any way around this?  Can these keyfobs be purchased online or elsewhere cheaper, and then taken to the dealer for programming?

In the meantime I have to open my door manually with the key and MAN DO I HATE IT  <_<

Thanks!!

lexus-parts.com should have replacement keys for your car or try ebay. You can program the key yourself too using one of the many threads for key programming in the forum.

My remote key thing will not work.  I've had several new batteries put in, still nothing.  Checked the manual and I don't have that particular switch underneath the steering wheel to turn on/off.

Today I finally visited the dealer and after trying one last time with a new battery, they decided that I need a new key thing/transmittor altogether.  Cost:  $180  *ouch*

So...is there any way around this?  Can these keyfobs be purchased online or elsewhere cheaper, and then taken to the dealer for programming?

In the meantime I have to open my door manually with the key and MAN DO I HATE IT  <_<

Thanks!!

Go To Auto Zone They have them now with the code.Mrbobbyd

I posted this a while back on another forum:

Here's what I got on-line:

Brand New OEM Master Key for Ford F150 Super Cab Pickup 1999 $20.24

Refurbished Factory Remote Key for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $80.00

Brand New After-Market Master Key for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $23.00

Activation Services for Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4D 2000 $60.00 (Not that the activation procedure is all that difficult, it's probably possible to do this yourself. )

The "refurbished" key looks new, new shank, and maybe a new case too. I didn't shell out another $60 (or was it 80?) for "home service", so had to go to their local locksmith affiliate to have the keys cut and activated.

Excellent service and follow-through; I recommend them; the local locksmith also had nice things to say about the company:

1.866.BUY.KEYS

www.streetkeys.com

Sal's Dad

• 3 months later...

E-bay. $20-$30 bucks.

I just got mine. HUGH savings!!!

Please let me know if you figure out how to program it (pr any one else for that matter).

Here are the steps I take-

1) Driver door is open and unlocked, key is out the ignition.

2) Key is inserted into the ignition and removed without turning.

3) Using power lock, the door is locked and unlocked 5 times.

4) The door is closed and then opened.

5) Using power lock the door is locked and unlocked again 5 times.

6) Key is inserted in ignition turned to on position and then off, key is then removed.

7) The locks cycle,then I hold the lock and unlock button simultaneously for a second.

8) The locks cycle again, then I immediately hold the lock button for 2 seconds.

The problem is after step 8, NOTHING happens.

ANYONE please help.

I need another master/remote key myself. My wife has the one with remote and mine only opens car and starts it, no trunk.

If you order a new remote key from ebay,lexus parts, etc and are able to program it, how or what is the best way to get the key cut to fit your ignition, door, etc ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had a problem with the remote on my '93. Dealer wanted $400 to replace transmitter.

Bought transmitter and two cut masters from a locksmith on EBay for $120. Parts were genuine Toyota and came with instructions. It takes about 15 minutes to do the repair.

Look for wolftng@hotmail.com.,