Sc300 Model Year Differences? Best Year?

The 90-97 model years, the only difference is only the cosmetic styling changes, tail lights and headlights. I believe that should be it.

Depends on what you want.

I think 1995 is the best year because it is obd1 and it's what I have.

1996+ is obd2

1997 is last year for 5 speed

1998 is vvti and coil packs

Any model year is great though. You want a turbo? I recommend obd1.

OBD is on board diagnostics. The way the engine control unit or management system works or is programed to work from the factory. The computer controls timing and fuel injection (at the least) while monitoring things like rpm, oxygen levels in exhaust, etc. for best drivability and fuel economy/emissions. OBD2 cars are just trickier to turbo.

AWJ- Thanks for that info. I was wondering about the OBDI/II deal. I currently have a Kenne Bell (autorotor) supercharged Mustang, 1995, which is the last year for ODBI (EECIV) and the 5.0L pushrod engine.

I had initially thought about a turbo 6 but if I can find ECU hacks I may try an Autorotor blown V8. It's a positive displacement blower so their is tons of torque down low. Mustangs pull a broad 400 lb/ft of torque on stock cam and sometimes heads also. I think it would be nice on the heavy Lexus. I don't know anything about the Toyota ECU's internals but I think I saw it is a MAF systems, which is what the Mustangs have.

Is any auto better or stronger (or any strong swaps)? I have seen 400-500 mentioned as limit. I don't really care to get into the convertor and stuff yet, just want to drive for awhile.

John

It is a mass air system but it is hot wire - karmen vortex - if that means anything to you. Still confuses the **** out of me. All I know is our stock injectors can only handle so much duty before they are useless. It is not at all uncommon for hp apps over 500 hp to completely redo the fuel system either eliminating the stock ecu or extensively piggy backing by converting to speed density type vein pressure systems. 500hp is not a limit. Although plenty of failures can occur at this level. I maintaint that 600hp can be handled with the stock motor internals but extensive tuning and electronics are needed to control the system. Otherwise - BOOOM.

I don't like superchargers. They are cool on grassroots style american powerplants but in the essence of their design - they are inefficient. For the money that will be spent trying to build a supercharged 1uz-fe - you could have a super beast 2jz. Or at least a turboed 1uz. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that is what you want to do. I will not dis the desire to do something new or at least - less persued.

If you are looking for a strong automatic, check out the Sound Performance solutions. They have built SP400 auto trannies for our applications. They are based on the chevy turbo trannies and modified to fit our chasis. They are also highly raved.