Loud Idling Issue

mtakeda

In the past week or so I have been experiencing a seemingly worsening idle problem in my 2001 RX300. Here's the situation, the vehicle idles incessantly when either it is in gear and the brake is being applied, or when it is in park. I've begun to notice the idle vibrations getting more and more severe as of late. For one I suspect that the extra cold weather may be part of the problem but this idling still happens even after the vehicle has been adequately warmed up. I recently got my Mass air flow sensor replaced and got new brake and rotors. My RX is at 67K miles. Any help would be much much appreciated.

iacv

is it loud or irracticle? My Lexus RX and my neighbor's both experienced loud and almost sounded like higher idle noise. It turned out to be the flex pipe from the front exhaust pipes to the main pipe. (note a very short accordian piece) Went to a muffler shop and they put in the mesh covered style flex piece common on Hondas and other cars with front wheel drive. All noise went away, and idle was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey..I have the same situation with my 99 RX300. I really notice it when I turn on the car in the cold mornings....you sometimes hear some kind of squeek for a second ....then the engine idles a loud. The car seems fine and engine seems to be working properly when i'm driving the car...it's just when i come to a red light or i stop the car...do i hear the engine seem to humm... a bit louder....If i put the car into neutrol, the engine gets quiet....but once I put it into reverse or Drive (D) the sound gets a loud again. Does anyone know what this can be or what's the problem? If so, how can I get it fixed.

Thanks

Hey..I have the same situation with my 99 RX300. I really notice it when I turn on the car in the cold mornings....you sometimes hear some kind of squeek for a second ....then the engine idles a loud.  The car seems fine and engine seems to be working properly when i'm driving the car...it's just when i come to a red light or i stop the car...do i hear the engine seem to humm... a bit louder....If i put the car into neutrol, the engine gets quiet....but once I put it into reverse or Drive (D) the sound gets a loud again.  Does anyone know what this can be or what's the problem? If so, how can I get it fixed. 

Thanks

MingF.

You have just described my EXACT problem. Unfortunately, I took it to a dealer and although I had mentioned that it may be the iacv (the only part in my RX that has a warranty on it) the dealership proceeded to take 3.5 hours to "isolate the problem." Upon inquiry at two hours, I was told that it was if fact not the iacv and that it is likely to be an air compression issue. In the end, the problem was not solved, and no error codes were detected and my RX idles at an irritatingly high volume and I'm down about $400 for labor. After all these issues, with the dealers and useless technicians in the last 7 months, I've finally decided to get rid of my RX 01 within another month. Good luck, and let me know if you find a cost effective solution to the problem.

MT

Hey..I have the same situation with my 99 RX300. I really notice it when I turn on the car in the cold mornings....you sometimes hear some kind of squeek for a second ....then the engine idles a loud.  The car seems fine and engine seems to be working properly when i'm driving the car...it's just when i come to a red light or i stop the car...do i hear the engine seem to humm... a bit louder....If i put the car into neutrol, the engine gets quiet....but once I put it into reverse or Drive (D) the sound gets a loud again.  Does anyone know what this can be or what's the problem? If so, how can I get it fixed. 

Thanks

MingF.

You have just described my EXACT problem. Unfortunately, I took it to a dealer and although I had mentioned that it may be the iacv (the only part in my RX that has a warranty on it) the dealership proceeded to take 3.5 hours to "isolate the problem." Upon inquiry at two hours, I was told that it was if fact not the iacv and that it is likely to be an air compression issue. In the end, the problem was not solved, and no error codes were detected and my RX idles at an irritatingly high volume and I'm down about $400 for labor. After all these issues, with the dealers and useless technicians in the last 7 months, I've finally decided to get rid of my RX 01 within another month. Good luck, and let me know if you find a cost effective solution to the problem.

I agree with you, sorry for your poor service. I have to say Toyota the parent company treats my Lexus better. and much cheaper. Complain to Lexus in Torrance Ca. They deserve the poor feedback. Also if you are a consumers Report customer give them feedback on the annual questionare. Good luck.

MT

Well I had this idle vibration noise problem for 4 years and I finally got it fixed. It would happen when the RX was in gear with the brake on around 750 to 755 rpm. I got so I could actually cause this vibration to happen by putting the parking brake on, put the RX into Drive, one foot on the brake and with the other foot on the gas and very gently adjust the rpm.

The problem turned out to be a loose wire or connector in the headliner right above the drivers head. At a certain frequency this would resonate and would sound like a drum.

After I was able to demonstrate this resonant vibration to the dealer he removed the headliner and attached/glued the offending wire/connector back in place. The noise is now gone. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have some similar experience, but different situation. I bought my RX330 only 2 days ago. When picking up the new car, the salesman was with me to describe the features. We had the engine turned on and had the gear set to Parking, not stepping the brake or gas. Once a while I could hear some resonating sound coming from the bottom of the car (I'm pretty sure it is not the fan). But when I got out the car and stood outside and listened, I couldn't hear anything. Or if I pressed the brake and had the gear switched to D, the sound didn't happen neither. The salesman simply said it is normal when the car is idle and have the gear set to Parking. In normal driving condition it would not happen anyway since the gear is always set to D.

I will keep monitoring this in the next few days and see if this would happen again. Just wondering if there are others out there notice the same problems with the new car. :huh:

I got the same problem for the past month or so. At idle (around 700-800rpm), the car (2002 RX 300 with 42k) makes a droan noise and rumble. Give it a little gas, the noise is gone (around 900 -1000rpm). If I turns the wheel around (power steering applied), the noise is also gone. The noise is loud and hurts ear drump. Went to the dealer, the "adviser" said he could not hear a thing (wondering what kind car he is driveing). Called a senior tech. The tech said he had herad worse noise and it is the low idle and engine mount. They checked the pipes and engine mount, could not find any problem, except the noise. So I am stuck now. Maybe we should contact Lexus HQ.?

Any idea?

Thanks. :chairshot:

Well I had this idle vibration noise problem for 4 years and I finally got it fixed. It would happen when the RX was in gear with the brake on around 750 to 755 rpm. I got so I could actually cause this vibration to happen by putting the parking brake on, put the RX into Drive, one foot on the brake and with the other foot on the gas and very gently adjust the rpm.

The problem turned out to be a loose wire or connector in the headliner right above the drivers head. At a certain frequency this would resonate and would sound like a drum.

After I was able to demonstrate this resonant vibration to the dealer he removed the headliner and attached/glued the offending wire/connector back in place. The noise is now gone. :D

You are right. At around 700 to 800 rpm, the car will resonate and make drum like noise. Any rpm above or below, no noice. However, it seems that many parts resonate, including engin, door, frame etc. I could not pin point to a single part. Help please. :cries:

Thanks

MingF.

I agree with you, sorry for your poor service. I have to say Toyota the parent company treats my Lexus better. and much cheaper. Complain to Lexus in Torrance Ca. They deserve the poor feedback. Also if you are a consumers Report customer give them feedback on the annual questionare. Good luck.

MT

I agree please note your displeasure with consumers reports in the annual survey. Maybe then the idiots in Torrance will wake up and smell the bad feelings.

You are right. At around 700 to 800 rpm, the car will resonate and make drum like noise. Any rpm above or below, no noice. However, it seems that many parts resonate, including engin, door, frame etc. I could not pin point to a single part. Help please.:cries:

KevinK, when this resonant vibration occurred, I was able to gently punch (not too hard!!!) the headliner just above my head. The punch would disrupt the vibration cadence (i.e. pattern) and this is how I confirmed that the noise was coming from the headliner.

KevinK, when this resonant vibration occurred, I was able to gently punch (not too hard!!!) the headliner just above my head. The punch would disrupt the vibration cadence (i.e. pattern) and this is how I confirmed that the noise was coming from the headliner.

Thank you very much. But it did not work for me. I could not locate the resonant part. Maybe the engine mount is no isolated well, which can cause vibrtion.

K

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Same issue with my 2002 RX 300. I have been advised by an attorney that unless it is fixed it can be considered breach of warranty which my car is still under. My situation is still playing out and I will update you as it does.

The other interesting piece of info is multiple parties acknowledged that there is a problem but there is no fix but then write down on the ticket that the sound is what they call a "normal characteristic".

So now in addition to breach of warranty they are also now trying to coerce me into saying this is ok. Stay tuned.....

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue with my 2002 RX 300. I have been advised by an attorney that unless it is fixed it can be considered breach of warranty which my car is still under. My situation is still playing out and I will update you as it does.

The other interesting piece of info is multiple parties acknowledged that there is a problem but there is no fix but then write down on the ticket that the sound is what they call a "normal characteristic".

So now in addition to breach of warranty they are also now trying to coerce me into saying this is ok. Stay tuned.....

Same here. My dealer isolated it as a exhaust system vibration, the fix of which is to attach different weights to tune the harmonic freuqncy and reduce the vibrations, which apparently is not covered under the extra care warranty.

I even got my dealer to write down on the service report the fix, but Extra care denied it stating that it is not a failed part.

Wondering now how to approach this issue......