Toyota Equivalent Of Rx300?

PaulfromPA

Hello... new guy here:).

I'm looking for middle to small sized SUV's and wagons for my mom. I'm pretty impressed with RX300's, but I was wondering if there was a toyota named product that is very similar. I know the camry and es series are very similar, and I was hoping to find her something that has the lexus quiet interior without the price. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Paul

The Toyota Highlander is very similar in ride and quietness. It is available with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, with the 6 being the same engine as in the RX330. With that engine, the Highlander is approx. $11,000 less expensive than the RX330. Each vehicle is rated tops in its class by Consumer Reports and the Highlander has a 3rd row (kid-size) seat option.

Hello... new guy here:).

I'm looking for middle to small sized SUV's and wagons for my mom. I'm pretty impressed with RX300's, but I was wondering if there was a toyota named product that is very similar. I know the camry and es series are very similar, and I was hoping to find her something that has the lexus quiet interior without the price. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Paul

The Toyota Highlander is the 'sister' vehicle to the Lexus RX as they are both built on a modified Camry platform. Yes, the Highlander does come in either a 4 or 6 cyl engines......same engines as the Camry 4 & 6 cyl. B)

:cheers:

The Highlander comes in a 4cyl?!

I test-drove one last year and it is definitely peppier than our Nissan Quest with 152HP V6. ........can't wait for that 270HP RX400.......! My Corvette has a radar detector; perhaps one for the RX400 is a good idea!

My mother-in-law has a highlander with the 4 cyl. engine. It is all the power she needs, but I can't stand it. Her highlander isn't the upscale model (obviously) but the cloth seats aren't very comfortable and I just don't think the ride is near as nice (but that could have a lot to do with the cloth seats). I haven't driven one with leather. A few years back she was in a car wreck where the vehicle rolled down the side of an overpass (before they hit the bridge on the overpass) and it broke her back. While she is lucky to be alive, she has many problems with her back as a result. She had an explorer and it just bounced her to death. She drove the highlander and bought it without looking back. She said it is wonderful to drive and she hopes she can keep it forever. So, they are great vehicles...I just had something nicer to compare it to.

My mother-in-law has a highlander with the 4 cyl. engine.  It is all the power she needs, but I can't stand it.  Her highlander isn't the upscale model (obviously) but the cloth seats aren't very comfortable and I just don't think the ride is near as nice (but that could have a lot to do with the cloth seats).  I haven't driven one with leather.  A few years back she was in a car wreck where the vehicle rolled down the side of an overpass (before they hit the bridge on the overpass) and it broke her back.  While she is lucky to be alive, she has many problems with her back as a result.  She had an explorer and it just bounced her to death.  She drove the highlander and bought it without looking back.  She said it is wonderful to drive and she hopes she can keep it forever.  So, they are great vehicles...I just had something nicer to compare it to.

SUGGEST GETTING THE TWO WHEEL DRIVE VERSION CONSIDERING THE NUMBER OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES IN THE RX300 AWD. READ THE POST AND BEWARE. THE TWO WHEEL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE APPEARS TO BE MORE RELIABLE IN THIS AREA. GOOD LUCK.

My mother-in-law has a highlander with the 4 cyl. engine.  It is all the power she needs, but I can't stand it.  Her highlander isn't the upscale model (obviously) but the cloth seats aren't very comfortable and I just don't think the ride is near as nice (but that could have a lot to do with the cloth seats).  I haven't driven one with leather.  A few years back she was in a car wreck where the vehicle rolled down the side of an overpass (before they hit the bridge on the overpass) and it broke her back.  While she is lucky to be alive, she has many problems with her back as a result.  She had an explorer and it just bounced her to death.  She drove the highlander and bought it without looking back.  She said it is wonderful to drive and she hopes she can keep it forever.  So, they are great vehicles...I just had something nicer to compare it to.

SUGGEST GETTING THE TWO WHEEL DRIVE VERSION CONSIDERING THE NUMBER OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES IN THE RX300 AWD. READ THE POST AND BEWARE. THE TWO WHEEL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE APPEARS TO BE MORE RELIABLE IN THIS AREA. GOOD LUCK.

That depends if the maintenance schedule has been performed, including of the RX is towing something heavy as well. btw, turn the caps off as it is considered shouting at another person. ;) B)

:cheers:

SUGGEST GETTING THE TWO WHEEL DRIVE VERSION CONSIDERING THE NUMBER OF TRANSMISSION FAILURES IN THE RX300 AWD.  READ THE POST AND BEWARE.  THE TWO WHEEL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE APPEARS TO BE MORE RELIABLE IN THIS AREA.  GOOD LUCK.

Please don't type in caps.

yes the highlander is the equivilant to the rx300. The 2004-2005 highlander has a defferent v6 engine then the rx300's though..

The 1999-2003 rx300 and 2001-2003 highlander shared a 3.0 liter v6 four cam.

In 2004-05 lexus made the rx330, with a new 3.3 liter v6 engine, so the 2004-05 highlander's have that engine as well.

I have an rx300 and rx330 and cant really tell the difference in engines. Probably because the rx330's are larger and heavier needing a larger engine. I would imagine that the larger 3.3 engine in the highlander would improve performance, therefore that would be my pick. And yes deffinetly get the two wheel drive rather than the AWD or 4wd because toyota/lexus STILL CAN"T fix the transmission problems which i have experienced, and believe me it's not fun...

If you are looking for a lot of power, i would not suggest the 4 cylinder. I test drove a camry with the 4, and the 6 had MUCH more power and the engine sounded much less stressed with the 6. But if you are more interested in saving gas mileage, go with the four cylinder.

Keep in mind that in the spring toyota will release a 2005 hybrid highlander. This would save you a few mpg and wouldn't loose much power. The price might be higher but it wil be worth it seeing the increase in gas prices. Although with any new model there are bound to be a few minor (hopefully) defects, but go with what you think will help you in the future.

hope this helps