2000 Rx - Rear Light Indicator Stays On

lexus400

I'm trying to troubleshoot what should be a simple problem. The indicator light on the dash is on indicating that a light is out in the back of the vehicle but all of the brake, turn, regular light and backup lights are functioning. Any ideas on what might cause this ? Is there any way to reset the dash light ? I have an OBD scanner but doubt that this would be stored.

thanks,

Bob

I'm trying to troubleshoot what should be a simple problem. The indicator light on the dash is on indicating that a light is out in the back of the vehicle but all of the brake, turn, regular light and backup lights are functioning. Any ideas on what might cause this ? Is there any way to reset the dash light ? I have an OBD scanner but doubt that this would be stored.

thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Forgive me if you've already checked this. My 2000 RX300 has at least one set of dual filament light bulbs in the rear. I have a tail light/brake light combination bulb for example. If the brake light filament of this combination bulb was burned out you would not know just by looking at the rear tail lights because all the lights that should be on would be illuminated. You would only know for sure if you could get someone to press the brake pedal while you stood at the rear of the vehicle. What you should see from a combination tail light/brake light is the tail light that is already on, increase in intensity when the brake pedal is depressed. If this does not happen, one of the filaments of that dual filament bulb is out.....hence the dashboard indicator light. Once again forgive the redundancy if you've already checked this out.

Good Luck,

Tony

I have exactly the same problem on my 2000 RX300.

All the rear lights including all the brake lights are functioning but the indicator light stays on.

Please let me know if changing the bulbs, even though they still work, does the trick.

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem on my 2000 RX300.

All the rear lights including all the brake lights are functioning but the indicator light stays on.

Please let me know if changing the bulbs, even though they still work, does the trick.

Thanks

this is the cure for many people on the UK site for their vehicles - IS, GS or RX. Also check the contacts are clean in the bulb holder.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem..but I realized that if you turn on your headlight and then pressed the brake petal...one of the lights actually turned off....the break light didn't get brighter. I replaced that light bulb and everything worked fine afterwards and the light on the dash went off. When i turned off the headlights and pressed on the brake petal...the tail lights worked fine. Only when the headlights were turned on and pressing the brake petal did the lights not work. Give it a try.