Replace Power Steering Pump. Diy

johnls400

I need help from someone who have already replace or rebuild their ps pump. I rebuild mine today. Filled it up and turned on engine. WOW--it was very noisy and squelling. Freaked me out. I turned the engine off. Is this normal since air is in the system? Lots of air in fluid too. Iam afraid of damaging something. Please tell me what you did to bleed out the air ( besides turning it back and forth) and if that inital noise will go away. I just hope it is not a sign of damage! thanks pro's.

It might be easier to just replace the pump. I just replaced my p/s pump and pressure hose last weekend. The hose was a royal PITA because some of the bolts are difficult to get to, but other than that it was a snap. I ordered the pump (w/resovoir- $200) and hose ($133) from www.buyautoparts.com. I started mine up after finishing the job and it was quieter than I have ever noticed. No bleeding seemed necessary. That could be due to the fact that the pump came primed with some fluid though.

FYI...with regard to the pressure hose, the one I ordered did not come with mounting brackets, so I had to use zip ties until I can find a couple mounting brackets that will fit the hose. The original hose has brackets that are factory installed and can't be removed and put onto another hose. If you replace your hose you may want to consider that when you order, perhaps the supplier might have some brackets that will work with it.

I guess it's possible that the noise you're hearing may be caused by a bad hose or the rack. But then again, I'm no expert, just offering up what I know from my own experience.

Good luck!!

Just swapped out my rack and p/s pump about 3 months ago, but I used a reman p/s pump and rack (didn't have access to the excellent part advice here, <sigh>). The rack was primed with a fluid, but the pump was not, and the p/s pump -did- squeal loud enough that I told my fiance to turn off the engine.

In my case, you needed 2 people to bleed the line b/c the EVO component on the rack won't allow fluid to flow to the rack when the engine is off and the fluid will get sucked out of the reservior in a second or two when you're turning the wheels. When the fluid got low, the noise was horrendous.

However, once I had bled the system and filled the reservior, the noise abated. I figured that the fins they rebuilt the pump with had excess material and were causing the noise. Once they were worn down to the size of the chamber, no problem.

Of course, that last part is conjecture, so please don't assume that the noise will go away. Try priming the system with the car on the ground and with someone else behind the wheel. That way you can watch the level of fluid and avoid scaring the snot out of yourself.

Econ

Don't worry - you're fine... same thing happened to me. Put the front of the car on jackstands so that both front wheels are in the air. Start the car and move the wheel slowly lock to lock about 20 times with the cap off the pump. If you have another person even better. You'll see the fluid foaming and a lot of air coming out. After a few minutes the noise will be gone. You might need to add some fluid as you do this. Drive the car around for a while and then let it sit overnight. Check and add any fluid the next day if needed.

Bob

johnls400, did you have to remove anything else to get the ps pump out? How long did it take (both remove and install)?

I just flushed mine out but still is making some noise and was wondering how hard it was to remove before considering doing it myself.

It took about 4 hrs--that is because i was cleaning out everything meticulously and i was checking out the air control valve too. But the actual take out was about 1 hr. You dont need to take out radiator. Just take out the air filter and its connection up to the air maniforl. Then take out the resevior. There 4 screws total. Take out the belt by loosening the tensioner. then theres 4 more screws holding the pump in. They are on tight so use an extension with the rachet. It will drip some so use a catch.

I did mine a couple of years ago and it wasn't too bad. JohnLS400 is

right, no need remove the radiator. I seem to recall using puller to get the pulley off while it was on the car. I'm not sure why I wouldn't have done that on my bench though when I removed the whole pump ?

Ugh - because you can't get the pump out on a '91 LS unless you pull the pulley off. The pump needs to be rotated 90 degrees aft before you can pull it forward and out. The valve covers are on the drivers side of the pump, and hoses (ABS lines as well?) block it in the passenger side. With the pulley on, it won't rotate far enough back.