Firewall Won't Turn On

denslexusgx470

I just noticed that my firewall was off, so i went to turn it on. Now it won't let me. It says

The firwall can't be opened because the associated service is not open, would you like to start it? (something like that) so i tried starting it, it won't! HELP!!!

this problem popped up on me when i installed the free Microsoft Spyware remover.

I just went through all that with my old computer. It happened when I tried to install the Norton System Works 2005. All kinds of errors which were Greek to me. I finally threw the software in the closet and bought a new computer with McAfee installed and guess what?..... it works! I was VERY disappointed with Norton stuff especially since they charge you about $30 just to talk to someone.

If you are using XP and have a restore point, this might be the time to use it. For free spyware software, use Ad Aware from Lavasoft.com It works great and is free. I use Webroot Spy Sweeper which is about $30 and am very pleased.

what firewall are you using Den?

uhh? I don't know but it came with my Sony computer that has XP SP2

I just went through all that with my old computer.  It happened when I tried to install the Norton System Works 2005.  All kinds of errors which were Greek to me.  I finally threw the software in the closet and bought a new computer with McAfee installed and guess what?.....  it works!  I was VERY disappointed with Norton stuff especially since they charge you about $30 just to talk to someone.

If you are using XP and have a restore point, this might be the time to use it.  For free spyware software, use Ad Aware from Lavasoft.com  It works great and is free.  I use Webroot Spy Sweeper which is about $30 and am very pleased.

wow, wait, so could the problem be coming from Norton System Works 2005? I just installed that! :chairshot:

what firewall are you using Den?

uhh? I don't know but it came with my Sony computer that has XP SP2

I just went through all that with my old computer.  It happened when I tried to install the Norton System Works 2005.  All kinds of errors which were Greek to me.  I finally threw the software in the closet and bought a new computer with McAfee installed and guess what?.....  it works!  I was VERY disappointed with Norton stuff especially since they charge you about $30 just to talk to someone.

If you are using XP and have a restore point, this might be the time to use it.  For free spyware software, use Ad Aware from Lavasoft.com  It works great and is free.  I use Webroot Spy Sweeper which is about $30 and am very pleased.

wow, wait, so could the problem be coming from Norton System Works 2005? I just installed that! :chairshot:

Yeah that may be your problem. Try and do a system restore to a date before the problem started.

agreed

adaware is ok definatly not the best or to be used alone

i made a post with a few other good ones including one to stop it from working on your computer not just deleting them after you are lareayd infected

spywareblaster

spybot search and destroy

makes a perfect team to combat ad and spyware

it still didn't work!!

The firwall can't be opened because the associated service is not open, would you like to start it? (something like that) so i tried starting it, it won't HELP!!!

Did you try and add the associated service (or what ever it was that it said was not open) to the exceptions list or maybe take it off?

oh my bad!! well, my firewall in the "network connections" is off, but that little security center of windows said that there is a firewall turned on, so i'm ok with that! :cheers:

oh my bad!! well, my firewall in the "network connections" is off, but that little security center of windows said that there is a firewall turned on, so i'm ok with that!  :cheers:

Don't you hate it when it is something so stupid like that and you couldn't figure it out? :blink: :D

I'm glad to hear that everything is all good! :) :cheers:

oh my bad!! well, my firewall in the "network connections" is off, but that little security center of windows said that there is a firewall turned on, so i'm ok with that! :cheers:

Don't you hate it when it is something so stupid like that and you couldn't figure it out? :blink: :D

actually, i forgot to mention that i didn't do anything to my pc when that little security center of Windows told me about my firewall! Well the good part, i fixed my stupid problem w/o even doing anything?!?!?! (i don't know what was going) actually at one point, that security center told me about my firewall being off, but when i checked it after a few days, said that it was on so i'm ok with that!! Hey, as long as my pc lives for 2 years, i'm happy!!!

oh my bad!! well, my firewall in the "network connections" is off, but that little security center of windows said that there is a firewall turned on, so i'm ok with that! :cheers:

actually, i forgot to mention that i didn't do anything to my pc when that little security center of Windows told me about my firewall! Well the good part, i fixed my stupid problem w/o even doing anything?!?!?! (i don't know what was going) actually at one point, that security center told me about my firewall being off, but when i checked it after a few days, said that it was on so i'm ok with that!! Hey, as long as my pc lives for 2 years, i'm happy!!!

is there a link to this spyware remover? i need it...bad...

is there a link to this spyware remover? i need it...bad...

which spyware remover, microsoft or spybot s&d????