05 Gas Milage

Tsquared

The computer in the 05 has been reporting 18.1 to 18.9 MPG for the first 5 tanks (it did get 24.3 on a 300 mile trip). I reset the statistics on every tank. I have been a little disappointed with the mileage as it is rated as 21 city and 28 highway and I have not seen anything that close.

I filled up tonight and reset the computer, which gave me an average of 18.4 mpg on the last tank. I had reset my trip meter on the last tank and I have traveled 350.4 miles on 15.2 gallons of fuel. A quick mental calculation had the mileage at 23 MPG???

Has anyone experienced discrepancies with the on-board mileage with their car? I plan on watching the next two tanks to check the accuracy of the computer. I also fill up at the same pump with the exception of the one tank away when I was on my trip. I also run to the last hash mark prior to the empty mark (the add fuel idiot light came on as I was pulling in to fill it tonight and I put in 15.2 gal).

The mileage estimates are just that....estimates based on perfect conditions.

I also find the on board computer to be about 1 mpg less than actual calculation.

Fill, drive, fill again. divide miles driven by the # gallons need to fill on second fill.

My 02 ES gets between 23 and 24 for around town driving.

steviej

I also find the on board computer to be about 1 mpg less than actual calculation.

Fill, drive, fill again.  divide miles driven by the # gallons need to fill on second fill.

steviej

damn, my old 97 get 22 in the city and bout 32 on the highway. maybe the computer is off, or u have a very heavy foot? but check in the manual there should be a way to reset the thing or try the dealer since it is new.

The computer in the 05 has been reporting 18.1 to 18.9 MPG for the first 5 tanks (it did get 24.3 on a 300 mile trip). I reset the statistics on every tank. I have been a little disappointed with the mileage as it is rated as 21 city and 28 highway and I have not seen anything that close.

I filled up tonight and reset the computer, which gave me an average of 18.4 mpg on the last tank. I had reset my trip meter on the last tank and I have traveled 350.4 miles on 15.2 gallons of fuel. A quick mental calculation had the mileage at 23 MPG???

Has anyone experienced discrepancies with the on-board mileage with their car? I plan on watching the next two tanks to check the accuracy of the computer. I also fill up at the same pump with the exception of the one tank away when I was on my trip. I also run to the last hash mark  prior to the empty mark (the add fuel idiot light came on as I was pulling in to fill it tonight and I put in 15.2 gal).

Ts, How many miles do you currently have on your 05 ES? :unsure:

:cheers:

Fill, drive, fill again.  divide miles driven by the # gallons need to fill on second fill.

steviej

damn, my old 97 get 22 in the city and bout 32 on the highway. maybe the computer is off, or u have a very heavy foot? but check in the manual there should be a way to reset the thing or try the dealer since it is new.

BINGO- I hope his ES mpg is because it is new. My 98 get 23 to 25 in the city and about 30 mpg on the speedway.

Ts, How many miles do you currently have on your 05 ES? :unsure:

I am just under 2K miles. I am having a suspenstion sound that is coming from the rear passenger wheel looked at next week. The service manager is a close friend and he is trading his 05 RS330 with me Sunday so that he can get it looked at. I will let him know about the milage also. I will post a reply when I get it back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wifes gas mileage on our 02ES300 averages 16.7. :angry: She drives it around town mostly (very easily I might add) with very little hiway cruising. My 1990 LS400 averages 19mpg. My 2002 Z06 Corvette averaged 20mpg and that was driving it very hard.

Can anybody tell me what the heck is going on with this terrible gas mileage on my 02?

Usually gas mileage starts getting better after the car has been 'broken in' perhaps after the first oil change or 5 - 7k miles. That's exactly what I noticed anyways with my brand new Nissan Maxima. ;) B) What kind & grade of fuel are you currently using Tsquared? :unsure:

Just topped it off with 15.9 gal at Shell (regular grade) – the computer had me down to 12 miles till empty, the fuel light came on and I drove an additional 5 miles before fill up. It has 286.4 miles and the computer said it has averaged 18.4 mpg. The actual is 18 even :huh: I hope it picks up once the car gets a little more mileage. The primary driving is city miles averaging 150 miles per week.

At least the computer is closer after the re-flash. On all of our vehicles I rotate brands of fuel between QT (local quick mart), Shell, and Chevron using the lowest octane that will not ping. I try to get 3 tanks of each before moving on to the next. I am also in the metro Atlanta area and we have the wonderful re-formulated gas that helps emissions by getting less mpg than gas available in rural areas.

I will update again on the next tank…

18 isn't bad for this car in the city at all.

Except for the fact it is rated 21/28 hwy and my wife drives like she has an egg between her foot and the gas pedal...

18 in a 6 cyl sedan is only 2.5 mpg better than my 99 F150 SC with the 5.4. I have a 02 Sedan DeVille V8 that gets 23 in the city and it is a boat with its size and weight! Mileage in the teens with anything other than a pickup or SUV is unacceptable.

Except for the fact it is rated 21/28 hwy and my wife drives like she has an egg between her foot and the gas pedal...

18 in a 6 cyl sedan is only 2.5 mpg better than my 99 F150 SC with the 5.4.  I have a 02 Sedan DeVille V8 that gets 23 in the city and it is a boat with its size and weight!  Mileage in the teens with anything other than a pickup or SUV is unacceptable.

You can't really go by the EPA ratings, I've never had a car yet that got mileage to EPA specs, our Prius gets 20MPG less than the EPA spec. The ES doesn't get very good mileage around town mostly due to it being relatively underpowered for its weight, thats why your Cadillac gets better mileage, the LS Lexus gets better mileage too.

Like others have said though you've got to give the car 5000 miles or so to get broken in before you can expect gas mileage to be all it can be. Thats part of why they changed the engine in the ES330 over the 2002-2003 ES300 was because of the poor mileage so I wouldn't be surprised if you saw an increase of 2-3MPG. You may also want to try running mid grade or premium fuel and see if that makes a difference.