Air Conditioning Compressor

My AC compressor has started to "rattle".

It doesn't do it very much at idle, but when the engine revs (like before shifting out of first gear) it can be a loud knocking rattle.

Is the compressor starting to die, or could it be just low on oil or something?

Looks like there might be some oil residue in that area that may have come from the shaft seals. The freon is OK because it was topped off fairly recently and the glass is clear.

What do you think?

Tom

If the noise is occurring while the AC is on (comp. in service) you might put a little oil charge in to see if it helps, you can do that yourself. If the noise is coming from there with the system off then it's the comp. pulley bearing or comp. clutch failing.You may be able to have that fixed w/o discgh. the system providing there's room to remove the pulley/clutch assembly on the car, of course then the shaft seal would be easily acessable if it's leaking & for that you would have to dischg. system.

well there is no real way to test it but usually if the clutch is worn it makes a metallic whining noise when the clutch is engauged but goes away when it disengages.

try spinning just the compressor by hand (the clutch part)and see if there is any abnormal resistance that could cause the noise you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to do a little diagnosis tonight.

It was now warm enough today for the compressor to actually run and the A/C light started to blink.

When I checked under the hood, the compressor was indeed locked. Looks like a new one for me. I have an appointment at my dealer for Feb. 16.

Thanks for the help.

Tom