1996 Ls 400 Maintenance Costs

thcarpenter

I was just given a 1996 LS 400 by my mother in-law. The car only has 53k miles on it and I know that she has kept it garaged every day of its life, never driven it over 65mph and had all the maintenance, even down to the oil changes, done at the Lexus dealership. This would be my first Lexus, should I decide to keep it, but I am concerned about the high repair costs. I am wondering if any of you can enlighten me on when I can expect certain repairs to come up (mileage and year of age) and how much they will usually run. I am tempted to sell the car because I am afraid I can't afford to own it (due to the maintenance costs). I know that the timing belt needs replacing around 90-100k miles but how much does that cost? Lastly, it seems that one of the most expensive repairs on this car is the air shocks. When should I expect those to go out and how much do they run? Thanks for all your future responses. This site has been so helpful. Please help me figure out if I should keep this car.

The cost is determined by what you actuallly spend, not what certain components are priced at. If you never have to install a very expensive *******, then it costs nothing. On the other hand, when your cheap GM front driver needs a trans every 100k, that's expensive.

Routine maintenance costs on any car. The Lexus is not much more. And the driving experience is unbeatable.

as an owner of the 1996 LS 1ith 140k miles i can tell u that the maintanence cost is LOW!!! keep the car! it doesnt brake as often as other cars and even when it is, you search wisely or do some small repairs yourself it would be cheaper that a nissan maxima of the same year! which will require much more maintance

The maintenance cost is really only high if you let the dealer do the service. If you find a good independent mechanic and a wholesale source for parts or even better learn to do some of the work yourself its not any more expensive to keep than any other car.

I sure would like to know when, and if, you plan on selling it. I would be interested. My wife currently has one of that vintage and loves it. I might want a matching pair.

I sure would like to know when, and if, you plan on selling it.  I would be interested.  My wife currently has one of that vintage and loves it.  I might want a matching pair.

Hi,

I got mine at 63000 miles LS400 96 model, I already have it service twice ,evry 5000 miles. I spend $150 for oil change and what ever comes with it. I have the power steering pump replaced because its leaking and selonoid filter cleaned plus the rear brake done. Price $2000, but the perk is i get a loaner of what ever model i choose if it is available. also i get free coffee STARBUCKS , popcorn and cookies. How is that? all this from the dealer. And one more CAR WASH IS FREE....... :cries:

jun

I wouldnt have a 96 serviced at the dealer. Its one thing for a brand new one where you're trying to establish a service history for resale or give Lexus extra incentinve to help you with any problems down the road but on a 9 year old car you're just spending way more money than neccisary to have the car serviced properly.

150$ for an oil change sounds like a ripoff, i spendtotal of 35$ and this is with synthetic old and OEM filter!. Sterring pump failing on a 96 LS iwith such low mileage is highly unlikable, did you see that yourself or dealer told you that there is a problem? sound like they jsut wanted to get more $ from you

btew i'm selling mine for 9k now since i want to upgrade to 2000 LS