Es 300 Ignition Wire Replacement?

HectorES

Hello - my 1992 ES300 has electricity arcing between the ignition wires. It was running poorly and I popped the hood to take a look and saw and heard small sparking arcs of electricity between the ignition wires. Should I leave diagnosis and repair up to my Toyota dealer (who has worked on this car in the past), or try replacing the ignition wires myself?

thanks !

oh, also it's like 50below outside, so if this is not a simple replacement, I will need to go to the dealer.

Ya that's happened to me before (on my Camry though). Replacing the wires is easy on the front, but the back row is going to be harder to due the throttle body and the intake is in the way. If you don't want to fumble around trying to remove the back wires, I'd just bring to an independent shop (dealer would probably really rip you off for replacing the wires) and have them replace it. That's what I did, I didn't feel like doing it myself.

If you want to do it yourself, to make things a little easier, remove the intake boot to give yourself some room and the PCV valve hose and maybe the PCV valve. While you're doing that, I'd be a good idea to check the cap and rotor, and to look at the PCV valve to see if it's clogged or really dirty. If the PCV valve is clogged, a replacement should cost about $10 or less. If you are really inclined, look at the spark plugs to see the condition of them. How many miles on your ES?

Thanks for the info on the ignition wires - our ES has 163K on it. Unfortunately I don't have access to a heated garage, so the local toyota dealer will have to do the replacement. Good news is that they're about half the cost of the local Lexus dealer, and they're willing to work on a '92 Lexus. I'll have them take a look at the cap, rotor and PCV valve. New plugs were installed at 150K. Thanks -

Thanks for the info on the ignition wires - our ES has 163K on it.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a heated garage, so the local toyota dealer will have to do the replacement.    Good news is that they're about half the cost of the local Lexus dealer, and they're willing to work on a '92 Lexus.  I'll have them take a look at the cap, rotor and PCV valve.  New plugs were installed at 150K.  Thanks -

No problem, out of curiosity when you replaced the spark plugs did you replace them with platinum spark plugs? If they are platinum they should be okay for another 40k or so (you should replace your platinum spark plugs every 60k), but I would have them checked anyway though since the wires are going to have to be replaced.