Is $700 A Good Deal For Timing Belt Replacement?

Including replacing the water pump and the two drive belts?  I'm not car savvy and when I called the two dealerships the Lexus one quoted me $875 and the Toyota place quoted me $700.

Am i getting ripped off?

Short answer - Yes.

I would think @ $400 +/- would be a bit more reasonable, but it depends on the labor rate around where you live.

Like most stealerships, it sounds like they are charging you for 2 separate jobs (timing belt & then h2o pump) when both can actually be done at the same time

Including replacing the water pump and the two drive belts?  I'm not car savvy and when I called the two dealerships the Lexus one quoted me $875 and the Toyota place quoted me $700.

Am i getting ripped off?

those are typical/normal quotes from the dealerships. i got mine done for $800p&l Lexus of Mobile. you can probably get it done couple hundreds cheaper at an independent mechanic that you can TRUST.

the rpice is a bit high

as the last time i had mine done at lexus it was 800 canadian

then i paid $200 to a lexus tech to change it again 5 months later because the water pump started to leak.

the belt and pmup cost $250

canadian prices

Am i getting ripped off?

Don't forget to change out the cam and crank seal while you are at it. Cam seal start to leak around 60k miles.

JPI

JPI, can you answer a question ? (someone else had the same issue too)...

I just did a TB, water pump, tensioners, rollers etc on a '96 ES. When I installed the TB, I couldn't get the marks (on the belt) to line up on all three pulleys. I was always off 1 tooth. I tried a bunch of times and even reversed the belt ("FRONT" means facing the engine right ?). Anyway, what I wound up doing was temporarily "clamping" both cam sprockets so they couldn't move and installing the top idler pulley last and it worked ok. So, my question is.. how critical are the belt marks ? I always knew that the cams and crank were in the right place it was just the belt that was the issue. Wouldn't the tensioner make up for any difference if I installed it off one tooth ? Is there a trick to getting it the first time ? Again, just to be clear, I'm just talking about the marks on the belt. At all times I had the cams and crank at TDC and ready to go. Thanks for any advise !

Bob

$700 sounds about right for that job. As others have stated, it's easily $400+ in parts. Consider the labor for a professional mechanic on that job for about 4 hours, I think. Atlanta mech rates are about $100/hr. I think my timing belt/water pump job was about $850 a few years back, but that was just before I bought the whip. I do most repairs myself.

Am i getting ripped off?

I am a professional Lexus mechanic at a dealer in Maryland. I could do it for less labor, parts prices are probably the same. email me at phocks187@hotmail.com