What Do You Guys Think?

ArmyofOne

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...modelId-1001413

With the recent crack in my dashboard, i have decided i need to either get a new dash, or cover the current one.

That said, i went to an upholstery shop and one of the guys put some epoxy in the crack to keep it from spreading further. Now it just doesnt look so good. i was thinkong of one of those, in black. any comments?

Hmm the dash cover idea sounds pretty good. I personally don't like dash covers (in my vehicles), but it sure looks a lot nicer than seeing a huge crack. The dash cover itself sounds pretty good with all the features. Isn't dark blue your interior color though? If it is, I'd go with dark blue. Up to you though.

Hmm the dash cover idea sounds pretty good.  I personally don't like dash covers (in my vehicles), but it sure looks a lot nicer than seeing a huge crack.  The dash cover itself sounds pretty good with all the features.  Isn't dark blue your interior color though?  If it is, I'd go with dark blue.  Up to you though.

no, my ineterior is gray and black:

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

:D and other than the dash, it is in nearly PERFECT condition.

oops...from the picture you posted in another thread (the snow in Dallas f/w) your dash kind of looked dark blue :chairshot: In that case, black all the way! The black will definitely match with your current dash color and the interior. I still find it a little odd when I see an ES w/o leather (sorry) :whistles: . A co-worker has an ES just like mine (different color and interior), but it doesn't have leather. Looks even more odd to me :blink: . Weirdest one is seeing an LS400 w/o leather. I saw two w/o it so far. Other than that, nice interior. :D

oops...from the picture you posted in another thread (the snow in Dallas f/w) your dash kind of looked dark blue  :chairshot:  In that case, black all the way!  The black will definitely match with your current dash color and the interior.  I still find it a little odd when I see an ES w/o leather (sorry)  :whistles: .  A co-worker has an ES just like mine (different color and interior), but it doesn't have leather.  Looks even more odd to me  :blink: .  Weirdest one is seeing an LS400 w/o leather.  I saw two w/o it so far.  Other than that, nice interior. :D

a car w/o leather in TX is a blessing, my contour had it (i swapped ina set of seats from a higher model) and i CURSED EVERY HOT DAY.

oops...from the picture you posted in another thread (the snow in Dallas f/w) your dash kind of looked dark blue :chairshot:   In that case, black all the way!  The black will definitely match with your current dash color and the interior.  I still find it a little odd when I see an ES w/o leather (sorry) :whistles: .  A co-worker has an ES just like mine (different color and interior), but it doesn't have leather.  Looks even more odd to me  :blink: .  Weirdest one is seeing an LS400 w/o leather.  I saw two w/o it so far.  Other than that, nice interior. :D

a car w/o leather in TX is a blessing, my contour had it (i swapped ina set of seats from a higher model) and i CURSED EVERY HOT DAY.

LOL.... I can imagine. I'm just use to seeing Lexuses with leather in them, at least in this area it's very common.

How bad is your dash? I would probably get a new one, but if you don't want to spend all that money on it then yeah, get the cover. I think a cover would look a lot better then a cracked dash. Is it at all possible to just get the crack repaired?

I'm sorry, but when I hear carpeted dash cover I can only think Austin Powers.

"shagadelic....yeeeaahhhh baaaaby!!"

Seek professional help in repairing the crack....it can be done.

steviej

Eeeh, no carpet dash, thats so 90's

LOL....haha...90's, seems so long ago when you put that way

here are pix of the dash and its crack and warpage.

warpage:

DCP02286.sized.jpg

DCP02283.sized.jpg

DCP02282.sized.jpg

DCP02281.sized.jpg

Crack:

DCP02280.sized.jpg

DCP02279.sized.jpg

a bigger version of the one above for you, so you can see better (56k: get a sandwich): http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/albums/Lexi/DCP02279.jpg

DCP02278.sized.jpg

Again a larger version of the one above (56k, grab a cold brewsky)

http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/albums/Lexi/DCP02278.jpg

DCP02277.sized.jpg

and another large one (56k, get some ice for your modems!):

http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/albums/Lexi/DCP02277.jpg

well? its also seriously warped along the part above the instrument cluster, but you cant make this out in the photos due to the sunlight...

as you can see the crack has been filled in with emoxy to keep it from spreading, but...i need to cover it (probably only temporarily) beacuse it looks horrible! the guy who did it didnt charge me anything, aand it wont get any worse so i dont care if its there, except it looks bad, its not like it can look any worse than a 9 inch long crack in your dash (thats how long it was by the time i got it filled, every time i would turn a corner, it would split a little farther :wacko: )

That is one big crack... Ya I don't think that can be restored.  Dash cover is better than nothing.  Have you called around or checked the internet to find out how much a replacement dash would cost?

the lexus dealer (Park Place Motorcars) wants $750 for the dash and $500 to install... :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

i looked at 10 junkyards today, the only 3 ES250's i saw, one was the wrong color, one had a dash worse than mine, and one was missing its dash.

10 junkyards, 3 ES250's...and they were all 3 in the same yard.

i did get a few good parts though, heater blower resistors (my low and low/med are out. med/high and high still work), new window switches (only $10! lexus wants like 100 something for new ones), right hand mirror glass and a power steering pump which i will be installing ASAP.

total spent, $110. the power steering pump was $75.

Ah I see.  You check ebay by any chance?

yup, when i first spotted it. no dice :( looks liek i am doomed to a cracked dash.

i am going to make this car hold to gether for 5 more eyars,if i have to psuh it around! :D

yup, when i first spotted it.  no dice  :(  looks liek i am doomed to a cracked dash.

Oh well... maybe in the future a dash will turn up.

i am going to make this car hold to gether for 5 more eyars,if i have to psuh it around! :D

That's the spirit! I plan to do the same thing with my ES. :cheers:

yup, when i first spotted it.  no dice  :(  looks liek i am doomed to a cracked dash.

Oh well... maybe in the future a dash will turn up.

That's the spirit! I plan to do the same thing with my ES. :cheers:

its driving really good, the engine accelerates smoothly. you can feel the tranny shift smoothly, no slipage whatsoever. my current issue right now is the rack and pinion (see thread not far from this one). then i will fix the oil leaks, then maybe the dash when i get the car painted/paint it myself. eventually, she will be completely resotred.

• 4 weeks later...
Just a wild guess but try a carbon fibre looking patch you get. that would look better then the carpeted look and may be it would look a lot different then you imagined

meh, carbon fiber is a little showy for this ES. its basically a Gen II camry (although i am finding MOST parts ARENT interchangeable). so there is no point to me in CF. but thanks for the input, worse case scenario i wil keep it in mind! :)