Buying 01 Cpo Es For My Parents

knmaynard

(Edit: haven't bought it yet or put any deposit down yet. Also, have bought two Lexus from these guys in last 12 months)

Pearl white ES300 with 40k miles, for $19.4k, w/CPO warranty.

My question is how I can figure out if the charcoal canister or throttlebody problems exist in the car, if that's possible. I know what the symptoms are, and the car doesn't exhibit them during test drives.

I don't want to give a car to my dad and then a month later turn around and have it in the shop because one of these two common problems exist. I'd rather get them fixed now (replace canister, clean TB), but haven't posed this to dealer yet. My guess is that they will just say "oh, it's fine, and besides, it's under warranty."

I'm trying to convert my parents to Lexus, and don't want them to have a negative experience, even if it is under warranty.

Just looking for whatever info I can be armed with before I talk to dealer (like recalls on these topics, service bulletins, common practice, or whatever).

If there is anything else I should be looking for, let me know.

(I have a 95 SC400 and an 04 RX330, new to ES's)

Thanks.

(Edit: haven't bought it yet or put any deposit down yet.  Also, have bought two Lexus from these guys in last 12 months)

Pearl white ES300 with 40k miles, for $19.4k, w/CPO warranty.

My question is how I can figure out if the charcoal canister or throttlebody problems exist in the car, if that's possible.  I know what the symptoms are, and the car doesn't exhibit them during test drives.

I don't want to give a car to my dad and then a month later turn around and have it in the shop because one of these two common problems exist.  I'd rather get them fixed now (replace canister, clean TB), but haven't posed this to dealer yet.  My guess is that they will just say "oh, it's fine, and besides, it's under warranty."

I'm trying to convert my parents to Lexus, and don't want them to have a negative experience, even if it is under warranty.

Just looking for whatever info I can be armed with before I talk to dealer (like recalls on these topics, service bulletins, common practice, or whatever).

If there is anything else I should be looking for, let me know.

(I have a 95 SC400 and an 04 RX330, new to ES's)

Thanks.

I assume the dealer is a Lexus store? IF that's the case they can do one of 2 things......you can mention it to them & have it on the contract in writing to make sure everything checks out (at that mileage I'm guessing it will with flying colours). Failing that, they have a very detailed inspection process (at least a CPO Lexus in Canada does) & I would make sure you get the copy of the report upon delivery (also put that in the contract / agreement) as it should be on the list of things to inspect. Should there be a problem......its in writing & under warranty so they would have to fix it. If they start to give you the 'song & dance' before you purchase the car, be patient & find another car & Lexus dealer. What your asking for IMO is minor & they should be more than happy to check into this I would think.....especially if you are a repeat customer. B)

I did the same checks you mention here.......there are NO recalls on the 2001 ES 300 & one major TSB is the engine gelling issue........also make double sure all oil & filter changes are up to date & mention to your folks to consider switching to synthetic oil for better protection but at the same intervals. Keep us posted & Good Luck!! Pic would be nice too B) The pearl white is georgous, especially with those red tail lights!! ;)

Is it from Lexus of Louisville by the way? ;)

:cheers:

[

I assume the dealer is a Lexus store? IF that's the case they can do one of 2 things......you can mention it to them & have it on the contract in writing to make sure everything checks out (at that mileage I'm guessing it will with flying colours). Failing that, they have a very detailed inspection process (at least a CPO Lexus in Canada does) & I would make sure you get the copy of the report upon delivery (also put that in the contract / agreement) as it should be on the list of things to inspect. Should there be a problem......its in writing & under warranty so they would have to fix it. If they start to give you the 'song & dance' before you purchase the car, be patient & find another car & Lexus dealer. What your asking for IMO is minor & they should be more than happy to check into this I would think.....especially if you are a repeat customer. B)

I did the same checks you mention here.......there are NO recalls on the 2001 ES 300 & one major TSB is the engine gelling issue........also make double sure all oil & filter changes are up to date & mention to your folks to consider switching to synthetic oil for better protection but at the same intervals. Keep us posted & Good Luck!! Pic would be nice too B) The pearl white is georgous, especially with those red tail lights!! ;)

Thanks for the feedback. It is a Lexus dealer, and have been a very good one in our experiences so far. They replaced the brakes, PS pump and valve cover gaskets on my 95 SC, none of which I would probably have known to check at the time, and they did it for the original all-in price I offered them. They could have added that stuff on since I threw out the number w/o knowing about those issues, but they took care of it for me. They seem to be pretty honest and work hard to make my wife and I feel happy with our purchases.

I've been very anal in having them walk through the CPO warranty, and feel comfortable that it won't be a problem. I just would rather fix these things now versus later after my parents have the car. But, it is what it is.

I also know they're human, and just wanted to be diligent before making a $20k decision.

As always, this Board is incredibly helpful.

Edit: Oh yeah, previous owners an older couple, lease trade in for new ES330, all work done at this dealership, exactly on schedule. I looked over the records in person. And yeah, the white IS gorgeous.

PS - I'll do a search, but TSB for "engine gelling"?

[

Thanks for the feedback. It is a Lexus dealer, and have been a very good one in our experiences so far. They replaced the brakes, PS pump and valve cover gaskets on my 95 SC, none of which I would probably have known to check at the time, and they did it for the original all-in price I offered them. They could have added that stuff on since I threw out the number w/o knowing about those issues, but they took care of it for me. They seem to be pretty honest and work hard to make my wife and I feel happy with our purchases.

I've been very anal in having them walk through the CPO warranty, and feel comfortable that it won't be a problem. I just would rather fix these things now versus later after my parents have the car. But, it is what it is.

I also know they're human, and just wanted to be diligent before making a $20k decision.

As always, this Board is incredibly helpful.

Edit: Oh yeah, previous owners an older couple, lease trade in for new ES330, all work done at this dealership, exactly on schedule. I looked over the records in person. And yeah, the white IS gorgeous.

PS - I'll do a search, but TSB for "engine gelling"?

If all oil change & other maintenance records are up to date, I don't think you have to worry about the engine gelling issue.....it's those that have neglected that important maintenance item. Good Luck! Sounds like a really good car & the dealer will look at the engine anyways to be on the safe side I'm sure! :D

knmaynard,

Sounds like you have a good dealer there.

I'm probably not a good source when it comes to CPO!

(Just search for some of my posts with my 2001 ES which is a CPO)

The good thing about CPO is the warranty.

You pretty much get no hassle warranty work, and if you can somehow relate whatever issues you have with the purchase...and suggest that it might have been a pre-existing condition, then they won't give you too much hassle.

In my case, I have been back to the dealership 6 times already for various fixes. Other than not being happy with Lexus of Massapequa in NY, I think having the warranty is great.

But keep in mind the legitimacy of the CPO program is on a dealer by dealer basis.

In my particlular case, they had the car advertised as a CPO...they even had that CPO tag hanging inside the car. But in actuality they have not done the inspection. And at least in NY, when you give them the money first, it is doubtful they will bend over backwards with the inspection part...might be an oil change and have a nice day type of deal.

So I would make sure they do the inspection...check the tires, the break pads. Lexus has rules for that...but they also have VERY vague rules as well...like maintenance history and proof of records is not a requirement! So even if the previous owner never did an oil change, or whatever maintenance, if it passes throught he inspection process (assuming that there is one!!!!) then they slap on the CPO tag...give you a 3 year warranty and call it a day.

So CPO = 3 year warranty...I wouldn't expect much more. I've seen several CPO qualified vehicles at several Lexus dealers here in NY, and they were not even close to very good condition. Lots of scratches, dings, crappy interior.

Mine had a cracked tail light, a gash on the front bumper, rotten rubber trim, overspray (which indicates prior body work) etc...I found out when I brought another car to a body shop and asked the guy to look at the ES, post delivery.

Tires are sh*t. too...but they have some rule about tread life etc. I asked them to throw in a new set and they refused.

Make sure you get at least 1 master key and 1 valet key.

My experience was disappointing but I realize now with enough information (which isn't readily available on their website...I had to call several times to get the info) I could have had a better experience and obviously I would have bought my ES elsewhere...

Good luck...and I hope that dealers outside of NY aren't as dirty.

Thanks, and yea, I did some searches on the forum when I first started looking at the car, and I read all of your posts. Sounded very dealer specific, sorry you had such a rough go of it.

Oh yeah, the dealer put new tires on it after it was traded in, too.

These guys seem to do a good job. It has been detailed (and maybe touched up, the weather here has been bad so I haven't gotten a good look in good light yet, but will tomorrow) and is in immaculate shape inside. Maybe because the owners kept it that way, but all the cars I've looked at there (I'm up there every couple months for one reason or another, it's close to my office and a few of us have Lexus') are all just as clean. I think this is one dealership that operates the way Lexus would want.

Nevertheless, still want to be wary and do my homework.

So I take it ES's don't have the same issue with PS pumps that SC's have?

Yeah, the dealership sounds like a good one.

I guess they do things different in your state.

You know how it is with NY...

You know what, the things that your dealer would do to the cars, that's what I expceted from the much touted Lexus CPO "program".

So I went to dealer after dealer, and it was 1 disappointment to the next.

In fact my car, believe it or not, was one of the better looking ones. The interior is very clean. It has chrome wheels. It's was in the color I was looking for.

I think Lexus should take a long hard look at how business is being done in NY.

I did my part by calling Corporate Lexus up and giving names and fully document the terrible experiece. And that survey card that they send? Lowest scores across the board...I remember how the stupid salesperson was imploring me to give him a good mark.

I was like kiss my as* when I was filling out that form.

I've had too many A-Holes ripping me off...

Your car sounds like a winner though...I hope you enjoy the experience. I'm sure you will with the sounds of it!

Post pics when you can knm!    B)

Will do. Weather still nasty, so won't be getting any today.

Will probably close the deal tomorrow or Saturday, as my mom can't make it out tonight (she doesn't know what we're doing). We're going to take her to drive the car, make sure that there aren't any reasons why they couldn't take it (just me being anal), and then surprise my dad with it.

We're going to tell him we got him something for his Corolla.

Then walk him to the door and say "A replacement."

(How's that for a car commercial?)

Will probably close the deal tomorrow or Saturday, as my mom can't make it out tonight (she doesn't know what we're doing). We're going to take her to drive the car, make sure that there aren't any reasons why they couldn't take it (just me being anal), and then surprise my dad with it.

That's Awesome knm! :D Don't forget to ask your dealer about those concerns you mentioned & get them to put it in writing that they will either check it out (proof will be in the work order) or, have already checked it out & everything passes with flying colours.......also in writing. B)

You should get one of those big red ribbons and put it on the Lexus like in the commercials. Hehe, hope your dad enjoys it and definitely post pictures.

You should get one of those big red ribbons and put it on the Lexus like in the commercials. Hehe, hope your dad enjoys it and definitely post pictures.

I did that for my wife, after I saw how much she like the light blue RX330 we test drove. She thought we were going to wait awhile before we got it (had some stock I told her I was waiting to sell), but I got it without telling her. Had my parents pick it up and park it in our garage, take her car to their house, and put the big bow on it. Did this while I took her out to dinner. She flipped when she saw it! I had points to spend for a long time after that.

Dealership made me give them a $400 check for the bow, which they gave back when I brought the bow back a few days later. Blew my mind that spending $43k doesn't get you a bow, but they were very firm. Apparently the bows were a big item that everyone wanted.

$400 for that bow! :blink: I would have thought they threw that in for free or at least make it really cheap considering you're spending over $40k for a vehicle. Did it actually have directions on how to make it or was it already pre-made? Are you going to get that for the ES?

wow i finally know someone living a commercial

i love the christmas lexus event with the bows and amazing looking houses

glad you read the faq's and armed yourself with lots of good questions ,but already answered so i don;t have anything to add