Lexus Dealer "trans Flush" Some Noise

wtotten

I have a 98 ES300. When it's cold in the morning, I notice that when I put it into reverse, it makes a sound like there's sand or a milder "grinding" sound in the trans (almost sounds there's a lot of dirt or something swimming around) . It's not a loud noise, but definitely noticeable. It's especially noticeable as back out of my driveway while braking. The noise is there in forward as well, but it seems like it's not as loud. If I put the car in neutral the noise stops.

If I let off the brake and let the car rolland start to take off the noise lessens and then goes away once I hit 10-15 MPH. It doesn't do it once the car gets warm.

1) Any idea if I might have a serious problem or is this something a transmission flush (or something like that) will take care of?

2) My Lexus dealer offers a special trans flush where the keep pumping trans fluid through the tranny until it comes out clean. Anybody know if the is A) safe (won't blow any seals) an B) is it really effective?

Thanks all,

Bill

If I let off the brake and let the car rolland start to take off the noise lessens and then goes away once I hit 10-15 MPH.  It  doesn't do it once the car gets warm.

1) Any idea if I might have a serious problem or is this something a transmission flush (or something like that) will take care of?

2) My Lexus dealer offers a special trans flush where the keep pumping trans fluid through the tranny until it comes out clean.  Anybody know if the is A) safe (won't blow any seals) an B) is it really effective?

Thanks all,

Bill

Bill,

IF you haven't done a tranny flush, I would get it done. I assume what you describe here is a 'complete' tranny flush as opposed to a 'drain & fill'? They have a 'flushing' machine that get's almost all of the old fluid out while putting in brand new fluid correct? ;) I like that way personally......I did it last year on my 01 ES & the tranny has never been smoother. You might want to consider getting the filter mesh screen cleaned & the tranny pan gasket replaced at the same time. & yes it's safe & a wise idea (I'm not a fan of the 'drain & fill' method as it only get roughly 1/3 the old fluid out & the rest is still in the torque converter). Good Luck! B)