2001 Es300 Tranny Question

nicksan

2001 ES300 CPO 22k miles here again.

Battery has been going good. But I have been making a point to drive it good at least once a week so...

Anyways, I've been noticing some "jumpy" feeling when accelerating.

For instance, today, I was stuck in traffic on the highway, so it was pretty much stop and go at low speeds.

This is the symptom:

I take my foot off the pedel. It's doing like 1000rpm's presumably in 1st gear(???)...then I GENTLY press on the pedel, gently, since there is traffic...so the RPM's go up to around 1500, then I feel this "jump" and I think it's kicking into second gear at this point. If traffic allowed it, I would continue to increase pressure on the pedal. Sooner or later it would kick into 3rd gear, but "normally"...as in I don't feel the little jump or kick that I feel between 1st and 2nd gear.

No matter how gradually I press on the pedel, it seems like when it hits 1500rpms, it jumps/kicks (not very bad...but point is I can feel the gears shifting...which doesn't feel like the other gears...just from 1st to 2nd).

This doesn't seem to happen in normal driving conditions where I can accelerate quickly or normally...only happens when I need to be sensitive with the pedal hence giving the car more time to shift from 1 to 2...at 1500rpm.

I should note that under normal driving, I think it's kicking into 2nd around 2000-2500rpms.

I was wondering if this is inherent in the ES300...or is acceleration supposed to be "silky smooth"?

Sometimes when I am accelerating, it seems to be "laboring" a little bit. It'll take a little while to kick into next gear...sometimes it will go close to, but not quite into the 3000rpm area.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick

2001 ES300 CPO 22k miles here again.

Battery has been going good. But I have been making a point to drive it good at least once a week so...

Anyways, I've been noticing some "jumpy" feeling when accelerating.

For instance, today, I was stuck in traffic on the highway, so it was pretty much stop and go at low speeds.

This is the symptom:

I take my foot off the pedel. It's doing like 1000rpm's presumably in 1st gear(???)...then I GENTLY press on the pedel, gently, since there is traffic...so the RPM's go up to around 1500, then I feel this "jump" and I think it's kicking into second gear at this point. If traffic allowed it, I would continue to increase pressure on the pedal. Sooner or later it would kick into 3rd gear, but "normally"...as in I don't feel the little jump  or kick that I feel between 1st and 2nd gear.

No matter how gradually I press on the pedel, it seems like when it hits 1500rpms, it jumps/kicks (not very bad...but point is I can feel the gears shifting...which doesn't feel like the other gears...just from 1st to 2nd).

This doesn't seem to happen in normal driving conditions where I can accelerate quickly or normally...only happens when I need to be sensitive with the pedal hence giving the car more time to shift from 1 to 2...at 1500rpm.

I should note that under normal driving, I think it's kicking into 2nd around 2000-2500rpms.

I was wondering if this is inherent in the ES300...or is acceleration supposed to be "silky smooth"?

Sometimes when I am accelerating, it seems to be "laboring" a little bit. It'll take a little while to kick into next gear...sometimes it will go close to, but not quite into the 3000rpm area.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick

this seems to be a common problem with the ES's, even mine does it and its a rare first generation. it seems to be most prevalent on 2001-2004 models. i have driven an 03 ES330 and its quite annoying...

whie it doesnt seem to be the same as the tranny hesitation, thats an entirely different feeling to my butt...and i hate that part to. thast why i will never own one, my next lex will be a GS/SC/LS

I wonder like ArmyOfOne mentioned, it is just the way the 2001 Es is...

Some of you have suggested potential problems.

I guess, since I can recreate this problem, I can take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

It's not a MAJOR problem, but in stop and go traffic when you need to be sensitive with the pedel, it gets annoying rather quickly, and it is disappointing feeling since I always considered Lexus to be a great brand. (This is my first experience with Lexus)

I wonder like ArmyOfOne mentioned, it is just the way the 2001 Es is...

Some of you have suggested potential problems.

I guess, since I can recreate this problem, I can take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

It's not a MAJOR problem, but in stop and go traffic when you need to be sensitive with the pedel, it gets annoying rather quickly, and it is disappointing feeling since I always considered Lexus to be a great brand. (This is my first experience with Lexus)

I've noticed the same thing in my SC400, a 95. Maybe it's not related, but it feels exactly the way you described. I just expected it to be a bit smooter based on all the research I did. Love the car, don't get me wrong, and has great ride, just that the editors lied when they said you couldn't tell when it was shifting.

knmaynard,

Yep...doesn't happen on regular driving right?

I guess maybe that's the way the tranny is?

It's VERY annoying for me...having had a TL...that car, it took a while to kick into second but it was smooth.

I am surprised that my Lexus, a 2001 does that.

VERY disappointed...in fact I am HUGELY disappointed.

I went to take my Acura MDX to service.

I went into the showroom just for fun...boy did I have fun with the new cars.

I'm starting to regret selling my TL to get into this ES.

I paid over $20k for this CPO. P.O.S.!!!

I like the styling of the ES300...it's elegant...not too sporty, not too "Look at me". The inside obviously is dated a little bit. But it's elegant.

But this combined with all the other crap that I have been dealing with from day 1 have put a negative image in my mind with Lexus.

OK, I drove the ES today to get some food. I didn't warm it up quite as much. SO the RPM's were a bit higher than when it is warm.

I didn't feel the jerkyness or the jumpyness. It was pretty smooth.

So I guess the whole tranny hesitation thing happens when the car is fully warmed up.

I've searched throug the forums and have read quite a few things:

-EGR Valve

-IACV (???) Carbon buildup

-Throttle

-PCV Valve

-rotor and cap

-wire and plugs

I am completely car ignorant.

Can any of you educate me on some of these items and tell me whether it would be worth getting them checked out?

Again, it's a 2001 ES300 with 22k miles bought CPO.

You don't have to worry about the cap and rotor because your car doesn't have that (it's distributorless). The PCV valve is what let's the engine breath (to use a analogy), but I wouldn't worry about that b/c your car has low mileage, they usually don't need replacing until I would estimate around 60k. It should be checked from time to time though, every 15k should be okay. The IACV, I don't know too much about, except that it's a more common problem with the +97 ES. Spark plug wires shouldn't be a problem because of your low mileage, and if it was cracked/damaged, the car wouldn't be driving smooth at all. As for your plugs, they are platinum and should last until 60k. The EGR valve, I'm not so sure about. It could be dirty and need of cleaning.

OK, I drove the ES today to get some food. I didn't warm it up quite as much. SO the RPM's were a bit higher than when it is warm.

I didn't feel the jerkyness or the jumpyness. It was pretty smooth.

So I guess the whole tranny hesitation thing happens when the car is fully warmed up.

I've searched throug the forums and have read quite a few things:

-EGR Valve

-IACV (???) Carbon buildup

-Throttle

-PCV Valve

-rotor and cap

-wire and plugs

I am completely car ignorant.

Can any of you educate me on some of these items and tell me whether it would be worth getting them checked out?

Again, it's a 2001 ES300 with 22k miles bought CPO.

nick,

I don't have the problems you mention with my 01 ES with 52,000 miles (also a CPO I got the Lexus Extended warranty)......All major fluids were changed when I purchased (in the case of the tranny, I took it to my mechanic & he did a 100% flush with all new Toyota Type IV fluid, cleaned the filter mesh & replaced the pan gasket). The tranny did shift smooth before I had it done, but it's even much better than it was.

If you bought it as CPO & due to the low mileage, it is still under factory warranty....I would take it back to the dealer to have them look at the car (if the need to keep it a day or two......let them, as they should give you a loner). If you think they are not taking you seriously or ignoring your concerns, take it to another Lexus dealer or contact Lexus head office directly. Have them look at every possibility that could trigger the symptoms you have described to us. Keep us posted! B)

:cheers: