Temp Gauge

Tote

Hello all, I notice that on my temp gauge it takes a while for the engine to get warm. Maybe 15 min. I've noticed that after it has hit normal temp. If I drive around, and I realize it is cold outside (Los Angeles - Not that cold), the gauge will drop a bit. Enough to make it noticable. I believe that at least on one occasion it reved a bit to warm up the car at a stop. Is this normal or am I just Paranoid? I also have a 90 and 91 ls400 which don't seem to have this issue.

Issue is on 93 LS400

170K miles

Any Info would be appreciated

Thanks

Tote

Sounds like you have a bad thermostat

the needle is made to be very vauge once it is in normal operating temps and only show when it is either very cold or hot

so more than likely it is your thermostat but possible your temp sender

Typical symptoms of a stuck open cooling system thermostat. Get a new genuine factory replacement from a Lexus dealer or irontoad.com. With a new thermostat your engine will reach normal operating temperature in just 3-4 minutes of driving.

yeah actually its kinda of common to have the temp gauges on an older LS read innacurate. heck its better a tick colder than a tick hotter, thats for sure.....

as others have mentioned go ahead and change out the ole thermostat, it takes 15 mintues and the part is dirt cheap, and its just a good maintenence item to change anyway for the future

Thanks for your responses, I kind of suspected the thermostat, but wanted to see if everyone else felt the same. I will be replacing it this weekend.

By the way do I need a gasket or any thing else when I put it back together?

Thanks Again

Tote

By the way do I need a gasket or any thing else when I put it back together?

the gasket that you need comes with the thermostat, i did it last month. no need to put gasket sealant or anything else on there, just what comes with it.

clean the housing and the area the gasket connects to though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put closure to this thread. I did replace the thermostat today and what a difference. It warms up like it's suppose to and the gauge isn't moving down any more. Problem solved.

Thanks Again