I Get To Do It Again>>>>>>>>>>

RFeldes

A year and a half later my pump goes out again. The replacement had a lifetime warranty.. so no charge from "Autozone" Lucky Me!! I'll change it out tomorrow and will remember to flush it this time. "Stupid me" Live and learn. Great car though :chairshot:

Any chance you will be taking pics and notes while going thru step by step? :whistles:

A year and a half later my pump goes out again. The replacement had a lifetime warranty.. so no charge from "Autozone" Lucky Me!! I'll change it out tomorrow and will remember to flush it this time. "Stupid me" Live and learn. Great car though  :chairshot:

I knew somebody would ask me that!!! :cries: I will do my best, as I know it is a major undertaking for some of us. I did not pull the radiator last time and don't plan to this time as it was not a problem. I won't plan on documenting the flush and lower screen cleaning since those are topics that have been well documented and covered here at LOC, and those are the tutorials that I will use.

hello, sometimes thats the problem, a year and a half the pump, went kaput again, thats a short lifetime for that pump, anyways, some of this rebuilder uses a different kind of rebuild kit to do this, and not all of them are, some uses really OEM rebuild kit, its just finding who does what, sorry to hear that,

I knew somebody would ask me that!!! :cries:  I will do my best, as I know it is a major undertaking for some of us. I did not pull the radiator last time and don't plan to this time as it was not a problem. I won't plan on documenting the flush and lower screen cleaning since those are topics that have been well documented and covered here at LOC, and those are the tutorials that I will use.

Hi RFeldes,

I rebuilt my power steering pump at 190,000kms and now have 398,000kms and the only thing I did different was use amsoil synthetic oil. The Lexus dealer wanted to replace the pump and said if you rebuild it, it may only last 3 years. Good thing I didn't listen, now 6 years later it is still working great. I am thinking about changing out the oil this summer. I didn't know about the solenoid filter or the filter in the reservoir. I should probably clean these as well. Daffy

My '91 LS400 with only 104,000 miles has a slow fluid leak too, but I have never let the pump run low on fluid so I know the pump has no major wear.

I plan to buy the $21 power steering reseal kit and follow the jzz30 tutorial and replace as many seals / 0-rings as I can, then clean the fluid reservoir screen, the solenoid filter screen and replace the air control valve. Then I will replace all the fluid and add Genuine Toyota Dexron automatic transmission fluid.

I bet all this servicing will stop the leak (s)

Since I have a lifetime warranty on the pump from a year and a half ago I will replace it rather than the seals. The problem is leakage and serious to the life of my alternator. At the time I was a new member and was not aware of the lower screen. When it started leaking a little bit about a month ago I started looking at the forums and became aware of the flush and cleaning of the lower filter. It made a drastic change in ease of steering and I made a post about it then. I didn't know at the time if the leaking would stop from release of back pressure because of the maintenance or that I had actually blown my seals. Well I guess my seals did not make it and I will change the pump, which is free, and flush again and clean the lower screen again. Daffy, the amsol synthetic oil sounds interesting...........is it a high temperature oil and what is its normal application?

Sorry guys, :blushing: I got to the pump and found the return line bolt at the "bottom" of the reservoir was loose. I tightened it and all is well. No more leak.I did take a picture and can e-mail it if you like since I don't have a site to refer it to. Thanks!!

Since I have a lifetime warranty on the pump from a year and a half ago I will replace it rather than the seals. The problem is leakage and serious to the life of my alternator. At the time I was a new member and was not aware of the lower screen. When it started leaking a little bit about a month ago I started looking at the forums and became aware of the flush and cleaning of the lower filter. It made a drastic change in ease of steering and I made a post about it then. I didn't know at the time if the leaking would stop from release of back pressure because of the maintenance or that I had actually blown my seals. Well I guess my seals did not make it and I will change the pump, which is free, and flush again and clean the lower screen again. Daffy, the amsol synthetic oil sounds interesting...........is it a high temperature oil and what is its normal application?

Hi RFeldes,

Its the same oil I use in my transmission. I used to change oil in the transmission every 80,000 klms, but with amsoil, I go up to 2-3 times longer before changing it out. I have 398,000 klms so far and car is running very good. I even use it in the rear end and engine with bypass filter. (I am not an amsoil dealer, just very happy with the results so far...) I just had the compression checked and it's at 190psi on 6 cylinders and 200psi on one and 210psi on the other. The manual says over 178psi is good and minimum is 142psi. Sounds like my engine is going to last a long time yet! :D I bought the car at 186,000 klms. before changing to synthetic. Love the car. I will from time to time post how it performs in the next few years. Daffy

I have 398,000 klms so far and car is running very good. I even use it in the rear end and engine with bypass filter. (I am not an amsoil dealer, just very happy with the results so far...) I just had the compression checked and it's at 190psi on 6 cylinders and 200psi on one and 210psi on the other.

398,000 km is only 248,000 miles which is nothing special compared to what Toyotas can do

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG My 452,000 mile Toyota still has perfect compression too and passes Californias tough smog test with ease even though it still has the factory original catalytic converter http://www.saber.net/~monarch/smog.jpg

A large majority of the 500,000+ mile Toyota owners I know did not use synthetic oils or other specialty filters or products. Consumer Reports tested synthetic oil against conventional oil and found no engine wear benefit from synthetic. For all these reasons the real world benefits of synthetic are controversial, not clear cut, and have been controversial for 30 years because in all that time the synthetic oil companies have failed to provide the public with real world evidence synthetic substantially extend the life of engines, transmissions, axles or power steering pumps.

I have 398,000 klms so far and car is running very good. I even use it in the rear end and engine with bypass filter. (I am not an amsoil dealer, just very happy with the results so far...) I just had the compression checked and it's at 190psi on 6 cylinders and 200psi on one and 210psi on the other.

398,000 km is only 248,000 miles which is nothing special compared to what Toyotas can do

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG My 452,000 mile Toyota still has perfect compression too and passes Californias tough smog test with ease even though it still has the factory original catalytic converter http://www.saber.net/~monarch/smog.jpg

A large majority of the 500,000+ mile Toyota owners I know did not use synthetic oils or other specialty filters or products. Consumer Reports tested synthetic oil against conventional oil and found no engine wear benefit from synthetic. For all these reasons the real world benefits of synthetic are controversial, not clear cut, and have been controversial for 30 years because in all that time the synthetic oil companies have failed to provide the public with real world evidence synthetic substantially extend the life of engines, transmissions, axles or power steering pumps.

Hi monarch,

I didn't know that many toyotas get such high mileage. If I can get 500,000 miles out of my Lexus-that would be awesome! The other reason I use synthetics is for the cold winters we have in Canada and synthetics are suppose to flow at a much lower temperature. Thanks for your input, a real confidence boost for me. This is my first toyota product. Love this car so far! Daffy :cheers:

just a joke on that last post :chairshot: but should be taken into cosideration. I tried to start my ex-wife on wd 40-30 on cold mornings probably should have tried synthetic and still be married............On second thought "Bad" idea :cheers: