Vibration Is Back (literally !)

lexus400

So, I replaced my carrier bushings about a month ago and thought that it solved my vibration coming from the rear of the car when braking hard. Heavy vibration.. shifter moves around too. Anyway, the carrier bushings were shot so I'm not upset that I did them. I think I feel some wheel hop too when I accelerate hard. I thought someone mentioned some other bushings that are prone to wear related to the rear end/differential. I checked the other sway bars/bushings in the rear and they look ok although the trailing arm bushing could probably use replacing. I've never had REAR rotors warp and cause this type of problem has anyone else ?

thanks,

Bob

P.S. - motor and trans mounts are new

hello, aggree with 95ls, the flexible coupling on the differential on the rear (this is called differential bushing for front and rear,or bmw speak a guibo), also on the front by the end of the tranny, carrier bearingn not the least the universal joints, a good way to start,:cheers:

good, at least i dont have to explain, this is also called flex disc BTW, the problem with the lexus is that some parts are not available as a separate part youve got to buy a whole assembly, and there arent any aftermarket that makes it and if there its inferior, so youre stock buying the assembly for who knows that price is way up $$$$$$, or buying junk yard parts again the quality is a concern unless you know the donor car, anyways let me/us know if the flex disc, guibo, is available, part number?

There is a guy on Ebay that sells the driveline bushings for Lexus. All I know is that they are not oem and are aftermarket. They were around $50.

My front rubber bushing has a bad place on it so I considered replacement and would have done so if they were oem. I am not getting any vibration so I am leaving it alone at this time. I did have a little vibration but the tranny mount took care of that.

hello, 95ls400bob, yesy ie mailed the guy that sells it on ebay, got no part number and actually he is very honest that he tells me its made in china, so its up to the user to decide to go for it or not i know its cheap but quality i dont know, :cheers:

hell, upon further research with a few contacts, luckily the "guibo" flexible coupling that lexus uses is available as a separate part, heres the part number 37511-50040 costs 175 or less, and the center or carrier bearing support part number 37230-50030 costs 125 or so, hopes this helps a lot for you guys,:cheers:

I just checked a receipt because I remembered having the driveshaft replaced at 88k miles due to a vibration (car now has 160k). I don't see any other parts except for the driveshaft itself so the flex discs are now high on my suspect list. More to follow...

Bob

Just replaced the rear rotors and pads... needed them anyway and wanted to rule them out as potential sources (warped rotors) as a source of my braking vibration but no change. Looked at the rear diff flex plate and it looks brand new. Will look at the trans end tomorrow.

Bob

• 4 months later...

Lexus400, did you figure out what was causing your vibration issues related to this older thread?

• 2 months later...

Bump. Was curious if Lexus400 fixed his problem? I'm still wrestling with this myself.

• 1 month later...

Back up for you on this one. I am having the same problem as well. I am taking it over to my friends shop to inspect. I get horrible vibration when stoping. The shifter also moves. I know i have a front stuck caliper but that is not it. Deff coming from the rear. I am going to balance all my tires and inspect anything that can flex. Ball joints too. I will let youknow what i find out tomorrow. I just purchased this car as well very clean 93 LS400

Check your brakes on this one. I am going to replace my rear rotors and pads this weekend and inspect the e-brake setting. I've got a "wobble" in mine and the rear pads are very worn down. I also think my e-brake is draging a little bit. I've replaced all the rear suspension parts already, so I would look at your brakes first.

Will do! I am at the shop now to lazy to check brakes right now. I am throwing a CEL #25. You think i should just replace both o2 sensors before the cat?

Check your brakes on this one. I am going to replace my rear rotors and pads this weekend and inspect the e-brake setting. I've got a "wobble" in mine and the rear pads are very worn down. I also think my e-brake is draging a little bit. I've replaced all the rear suspension parts already, so I would look at your brakes first.

I just replaced my trans mount and fixed my vibration probs, took half an hour and cost $60. It didnt look bad on first inspection, but had completely broken away from top and bottom upon removal of the crossmember, the trans was sitting on the base metal... no wonder it was vibrating !! For an older car it is almost a GIVEN to replace the trans mount. Give it a try, for $60 you cant go wrong

Will do!  I am at the shop now to lazy to check brakes right now.  I am throwing a CEL #25.  You think i should just replace both o2 sensors before the cat?

From what I've seen on here, usually the O2's throw a 420 error code. I'm not sure what the 25 is :huh: . But I would figure if your cats are gone, the o2's are probably close as well.

Oh yeah...opps, would help if I paid attention to detail! Hahaha. Blake, like the new picture...makes me want to go take a nap in mine. Man that is one clean car you got! Mine's not looking so good these days, needs a bath big time. Been sitting at the airport last weekend, covered in dirt and bird !Removed!. Looks like a freakin' Terradactile unloaded on my hood!

Primo, sorry amigo, i'm not familiar with the gen 1 codes.

Well, good news and bad news on mine. Turned out that the problem was the FRONT rotors. I've worked on cars for twenty years and the vibration was definitley coming from the rear. The steering wheel was not vibrating during shaking. Doesn't make any sense to me but two new rotors and pads fixed the problem for about 8k miles. It's now slowly coming back so I think I might have a caliper hanging up which is causing one of the rotors to warp. I'll post an update but for now check the fronts on your cars !

Bob

Well, replaced the rear rotors and pads this weekend...still got the wobble / hop. I'll do the front rotors this coming weekend and see if that fixes it. I'm starting to think either 1) drive-shaft or 2) tires. It's so strange...the hops the first drive of the morning as I come up to speed at 40mph. Then after a while, things get warmed up, and it turns into a wobble.

The rear brakes were in need of some attention, that's for sure. I could see where the e-brake shoes where dragging a little on the inside of the rotor hub. But, now I've got to get it adjusted because now it doesn't engage at all! And I live on a pretty steep hill. So, gotta do that....any suggestions? The e-brake pedal doesn't rebound like it should either...it's real mushy and I have to prop it back with my toe.