Protecting From Salt

Hi, I just bought a great '97 ES300 in Atlanta and drove it home to Ann Arbor, MI. It is a beautiful car, has been meticulously maintained. I am concerned about all of the salt that they use on the roads in Michigan during wintertime. What can I do to protect my new car from salt?

Thanks,

John

Rust proof it before it gets anymroe salt

then once a month go to a coin wash and spray under the car and in the bumpers under them and wheel wells inside the edge

this has kept my cars looking mint while others i have seen look like hell in toronto

Sk, i have always wanted to ask someone who deals with this in the winter, does Rhino Liner protect from salt? i wouldnt see why not. and it can be applied to the entire underside fo you car for less than $500, granted thas alot fo money, but its relaly a small price to pay to keep your car looking pristine. and their ability to color match is incredible (at least around here). they can even make it textureless so its never noticed unless you look for it.

whats your opinion on htis? they never used salt on the roads in alaska (where im from) just sand. it was significantly easier on a cars finish.

Sk, i have always wanted to ask someone who deals with this in the winter, does Rhino Liner protect from salt? i wouldnt see why not. and it can be applied to the entire underside fo you car for less than $500, granted thas alot fo money, but its relaly a small price to pay to keep your car looking pristine. and their ability to color match is incredible (at least around here).  they can even make it textureless so its never noticed unless you look for it.

whats your opinion on htis? they never used salt on the roads in alaska (where im from) just sand. it was significantly easier on a cars finish.

Don't you think heat would become a factor with the Rhino Lining? Plus the lining would spray all over everything and might plug some holes or cover a sensor, like the sensors on the resonator. How would you take the resonator sensor out of the pipe if its sealed up LOL.

Just my opinion.

Chris

road salt SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

i hate it man, it just makes me cringe when i drive over it and i can hear it flying up all over the place in my wheel wells..........well straight to the car wash :lol:

can't let that stuff sit in there, it will etch your paint like no tommorow

Sk, i have always wanted to ask someone who deals with this in the winter, does Rhino Liner protect from salt? i wouldnt see why not. and it can be applied to the entire underside fo you car for less than $500, granted thas alot fo money, but its relaly a small price to pay to keep your car looking pristine. and their ability to color match is incredible (at least around here).  they can even make it textureless so its never noticed unless you look for it.

Don't you think heat would become a factor with the Rhino Lining? Plus the lining would spray all over everything and might plug some holes or cover a sensor, like the sensors on the resonator. How would you take the resonator sensor out of the pipe if its sealed up LOL.

Just my opinion.

Chris

you would tape off these things.

heat may become a factor, yes.

i dont even knwo if it can be done, but i know you can buy enough rhino liner to do it for around $200 and having someone install it woudl be around $300, unless you have to R&R parts liek exhaust.

the OBVIOUSLY wouldnt do the bottom of the engine or anything...

I grew up in Syracuse and here is how people I knew took care of their good cars. They bought a "winter rat" which was a cheap used car. My brother uses a 96 Saab he picked up for $2500. A set of Blizzax tires and he is ready to go. The thing has about 185,000 miles on it, but it looks and runs good. You run you rat all winter then clean it up and sell it in the spring. We were always good at detailing cars, so we usually made money.

Sorry, but the ONLY way to protect your car from salt is to keep it in the garage all winter.

Here in piedmont North Carolina, salt is a very minor issue, but while living in Syracuse, N.Y for 15 months while doing my internship, I found that using a hose type sprinkler frequently helped with the salt problem. Of course, you had to use it only on the least cold days, and draining it and putting it up after driving back and forth over it half a dozen time was a nuisance.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with salt isn't just on the finish. Salt gets into everything causing exhaust systems to corrode, electrical connections to go bad, you name it. A car that has been driven in extensive salt suffers permanent damage. Go up to Syracuse (offical nickname is the Salt City) and take a look at 5 year old cars. That is why they ship them south to sell them, people there want soutern cars to buy used. If you love it, it has to stay out of salt.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious, isn't there a zinc type material bar you can connect to the vehicle's frame that helps to prevent corrosion? I know the crab cage guys use this for thier cages when crabbing off the coast, it works too, works very well. I think it emits a small earth current through the metal on the cages that prevents rust from taking hold. As you can imagine, metal submurged in salt water for months on end would be the best test I could think of. Anybody else know of this?

Road Salt (Neutralizing):

Frozen salt does not pose a threat providing the paint has some type of surface protection, salt when its frozen is inert but add heat , which results in water and then it becomes acidic (corrosive) Once you've removed the snow it may be advisable to dry and 'neutralize ' the road salt on any bare metal.

Undercarriage-

•Thoroughly spray an undiluted citrus cleaner (P2IS Total Auto Wash) and let it soak in; remove by thoroughly rinsing with water. If you have a pressure washer available, fill tank with citrus cleaner and spray undercarriage (do not use excess pressure as water may penetrate crevices and seams where it cannot drain, causing corrosion), let it soak and then remove with plain water

•Spray undercarriage with (POR-15 Marine Clean™) one application will leave no residues, noxious fumes or flammable solvents (Canada-POR15.com)

•Apply two coats (allowing first coat to dry) of a rust inhibitor paint (POR-15 Rust Inhibitor, allow drying between coats.

JonM