Rx300 Rear Hatch Lift Supports

kwbaum

Hi,

We have an RX300, model year 2000. It seems to be common that the struts supporting the rear hatch fail after a few years. No big deal, except the local Lexus dealer wants $210/strut for the part. The dealer said he's sold dozens in the past year. I called a few aftermarket stores (Kragen, Autozone, etc.) and no one has anything.

Any ideas for a fairly priced replacement?

Is this a normal lifespan for a lift support? My old Acura lasted a good 8-10 years before failing?

Are other people seeing these fail after 3-4 years?

Thanks!

I also have a 2000 RX300 and have just started experiencing this same problem. They still are working but go up very slowly and I have to help it all the way up. I have not even called the dealership about replacements yet. Are you saying they are that much for each one or is that the total for two?

I hope someone has an answer for this question because even if that is for two hatch lifts that is expensive. Then you have the labor charges for installation. I have an extended warranty on my RX but they are probably considered a wearable item and therefore not covered.

I also have a 2000 RX300 and have just started experiencing this same problem. They still are working but go up very slowly and I have to help it all the way up. I have not even called the dealership about replacements yet. Are you saying they are that much for each one or is that the total for two?

I hope someone has an answer for this question because even if that is for two hatch lifts that is expensive. Then you have the labor charges for installation. I have an extended warranty on my RX but they are probably considered a wearable item and therefore not covered.

Hi,

$210 each & installation is another $100+ for the pair. If you have warrany coverage, I'd recommend that you call the dealer asap. Even if they say "no", you may want to push a little to save $500.

Good luck.

Hi,

$210 each & installation is another $100+ for the pair. If you have warrany coverage, I'd recommend that you call the dealer asap. Even if they say "no", you may want to push a little to save $500.

Good luck.

They are not available aftermarket. You can get oem ones online for about $128 each. Here is a link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...000&catalogid=2

At the Trademotion site just provided, the part number for the left side appears to be 6896049016, and the right side is 6895049016.

FYI -- various Lexus literature also refers to these as "lift cylinder" or "stay assembly".

I have to wonder if Toyota sells the same thing at a cheaper price, given the overlap of parts between their respective models. Anyone have ideas on that?

• 12 years later...

After 17 years one of the hatch support struts on my trusty 2000 RX300 broke. I found that a Strongarm 6102 is a bolt-in easy direct replacement. The piston is slightly thinner than the Lexus originals, but they seem to work just fine. They are much cheaper than Lexus replacements! In the US, try rockauto.com, or in Canada Amazon.ca has a good price. For installation tips, google and check out the youtube videos.