'93 Ls 400 Coolent Recovery Leak

goformike

There is a leak from the coolent recovery tank on my '93 LS400. It leaks from where the coolent level sensor is attached. Can I undo this connection and seal it up with silicone? If so, does it unscrew? Does it pry out? It's not apparent to me and I don't want to bust it. I'd hate to spend $$$ on a whole new tank if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

Mike

It appears that most early LS's leak at this particular place. Apparently, the pressure within the overflow tank gets high enough to cause the leak around the sensor but not high enough to open the pressure cap.

My 93 LS has leaked at this point for the entire 7 years I have owned it.

I think the fill lines are too high on the tank. Lower the fill level (when cool) to about one inch above the bottom of the tank. It may still leak, but probably not as much.

Obviously, the overflow tank is not large enough for the coolant expansion that occurs.

I tried sealing my 91 and that was a big waste of time. If you plan on keeping the car just get a new one - don't even consider used.

It appears that most early LS's leak at this particular place.  Apparently, the pressure within the overflow tank gets high enough to cause the leak around the sensor but not high enough to open the pressure cap.

My 93 LS has leaked at this point for the entire 7 years I have owned it.

I think the fill lines are too high on the tank.  Lower the fill level (when cool) to about one inch above the bottom of the tank.  It may still leak, but probably not as much.

Obviously, the overflow tank is not large enough for the coolant expansion that occurs.

I know exactly what you mean and you are absolutely correct. The fill lines are not correct. There is a fine line between where it overflows and the low coolant sensor goes on. I marked a line on mine with a Sharpie and if it gets a tad below, the radiator looking low coolant sensor light goes on briefly on startup. If it is a tad higher, the coolant flows out the top.

This is apparently a Lexus engineering failure. Find the exact level and you will be fine.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that someone knows if and how that sensor fitting comes off. Short of that, I guess I can live with a new lower full level. I'll just have to keep a close eye on it until I learn to trust it.

By the way, I do love this car. It's a better ride than many late model cars I've been in and It's 12 yrs old.

Thanks to all who post here with fixes, I've fixed my flickering dash and my blacked out climate control display - both on the cheap.

I have a '92 SC400 with 87,000 miles on it. My coolant reservoir tank is leaking around the seam near the top. The only fix seems to be replacing the tank. This brings up several questions.

Will a Supra tank fit?

Anyone know how to buy a new OEM tank for less than $270? That's the price I've been given here in Dallas from an independent Lexus shop.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I replaced mine just the other day, got it of ebay. They don't come up very often. The dealer should have them as they are in demand now some of the cars are 15 years old. I had small cracks around around the sensor which could not be fixed.

• 1 year later...