Odd Climate Control Behavior

escee

Okay, please refer to 95 sc400 audio problems for background on what is going on, but I've just noticed the climate control seems to be acting oddly:

If I turn the system onto auto, then press the AC button, extingishing the green light, then if I turn the temp knob, it controls all 3 climate controls at once. If I turn the knob to the right which should raise temerature, the fan also goes up, and the air flow setting moves to the right.

If I turn the knob to the left, the fan goes down, and the air flow setting moves to the left.

My Q: is this normal sc behavior? Seems very odd to me, and I don't recall this happening before.

Wazup?

I understand this is a terrible response but...

It really depends on the temp in your car; however, the heater should be at a low setting, if the temp set is relatively close to the current car temp. It really is a matter of logic, whether the fan speed is adequately cooling/heating your car. Does the temp of the air seem okay?

Are you saying that if the cabin temp is much different from the set temp, it'll turn up the fan to accelerate climate change? Would make sense, but why does the air flow setting change too. I change the air flow setting with the temp knob, anyone else do that?

Situation is intermittant, btw.

In AUTO mode, the rate of air flow (fan speed) and the direction of air flow will both change based on certain preset conditions. Some of those conditions are:

Temp inside cabin

Temp outside

Difference between the two

Difference between setpoint and cabin temp

Sun load sensor input

There may be more variables, but I think this covers most of them.

Tom

If the system needs to raise the cabin temperature the airflow routing will go to footwell automatically and if the difference between the current cabin temperature and the "target" is small you will get low blower speed, large difference and you get higher blower speeds.

Remember that if the cabin must be heated the blower will not operate in automatic mode unless the engine water jacket is above ~130F.

Basically all you did by turning off the A/C was restrict the automatic system to the use of outside (cool??) fresh air for lowering the cabin temperature. All the other controls will still operate automatically. Unless you also select a mode or position for them manually.