For Anyone That Has Changed The Starter On Gs.....

I am trying to take my starter out. First, what did you use to get that TOP bolt off with? Did you take it off from under the car or though the top of the engine? I can only see 2 bolts (from under the car) that seem to hold the starter in. Those 2 bolts are facing to the rear of the car and one is about 6 inches higher than the other. Am I right? Please Help!

The service manual shows only 2 bolts, looks like they're using an extension w/ a swivel  on the end that allows almost a 90 degree bend B) It's being removed from the bottom.

Turbo,

Man, you are the greatest! Is there any way you can send that picture? If you are looking at your manual (at the 2 bolts) and the bolts were numbers on a clock, would they be in the 11 and maybe 6 o'clock position??

The manual only has sketches for this task and they're a little hard to distinguish any detail. Both the bolts should be in the front of the starter, and should bolt onto some part of the engine block. 6 and 11 o'clock look about right <_< The bolts are probably the same size. Make sure not to remove the long bolt holding the starter together . The 2 bolts you want are in front of the long bolt.

The manual only has sketches for this task and they're a little hard to distinguish any detail. Both the bolts should be in the front  of the starter, and should bolt onto some part of the engine block. 6 and 11 o'clock look about right  <_< The bolts are probably the same size. Make sure not to remove the long bolt holding the starter together . The 2 bolts you want are in front of the long bolt.

When you say "front of the starter" are you referring to the side that faces the rear of the car? That long bolt is skinny, isn't it?

[Yes, the long bolt is skinny and only holds the starter together. The front of the starter is where  it bolts to the engine block or tranny, and where the gear would come out, if you could see it or had it out of the vehicle to mesh with the engine.

Thanks, again, Turbo! :D I'll try again, I guess. B) That top bolt (if I am under the car) is a :censored: to get to, but a long extension with a flex head may do it. The bottom bolt (from under the car) is easy access!

Hey kino1161,

Sorry dude, I was out of town on vacation for about 2 1/2 weeks....I came home and I see you were in need of some starter help. SORRY I wasn't able to get back to you.

Regarding the starter....sounds like you got it figured out with the excellent help of TurboGS300. There are only two bolts holding it in, and by looking at them it is pretty clear that those two hold the starting in place.

Ragarding the contact replacement....I went to a Toyota Dealer in my area and picked up the parts....one part # for one side at a cost of $12 and another part # for the other side at a cost of $6.

Consider replacing the plunger if it looks really worn down....if you choose not to replace it, make sure you at least sand it down so it is shinny copper looking (like a new penny) when you are done.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey kino1161,

Sorry dude, I was out of town on vacation for about 2 1/2 weeks....I came home and I see you were in need of some starter help.  SORRY I wasn't able to get back to you.

Regarding the starter....sounds like you got it figured out with the excellent help of TurboGS300.  There are only two bolts holding it in, and by looking at them it is pretty clear that those two hold the starting in place.

Ragarding the contact replacement....I went to a Toyota Dealer in my area and picked up the parts....one part # for one side at a cost of $12 and another part # for the other side at a cost of $6.

Consider replacing the plunger if it looks really worn down....if you choose not to replace it, make sure you at least sand it down so it is shinny copper looking (like a new penny) when you are done. 

No problem, Rush. Thanks, anyway. Turbo, Thanks, again! I'll let you know how it turns out today. :D I am on my way out the door now to go do it!

Hey kino1161,

Sorry dude, I was out of town on vacation for about 2 1/2 weeks....I came home and I see you were in need of some starter help.  SORRY I wasn't able to get back to you.

Regarding the starter....sounds like you got it figured out with the excellent help of TurboGS300.  There are only two bolts holding it in, and by looking at them it is pretty clear that those two hold the starting in place.

No problem, Rush. Thanks, anyway. Turbo, Thanks, again! I'll let you know how it turns out today. :D I am on my way out the door now to go do it!

Done Deal!!! :D It was a tight squeeze for that top bolt. but this guy had a nice long extension and 360 degree swivel (for the ratchet). I would not have been able to do it, if it wasn't for Turbo! Thanks, man!! :D Oh yeah... I did sand down the plunger, too! Thanks, Rush! This board is great!

• 7 months later...
Hey kino1161,

Done Deal!!! :D It was a tight squeeze for that top bolt. but this guy had a nice long extension and 360 degree swivel (for the ratchet). I would not have been able to do it, if it wasn't for Turbo! Thanks, man!! :D Oh yeah... I did sand down the plunger, too! Thanks, Rush! This board is great!

Hi guys,

I surfed and found your discussion on the starter replacement. I'm contemplating of doing mine tomorrow (replace contacts and clean it) but noticed that you mentioned a 360 swivel and extension to get to the top bolt. Is that an extension swivel or a socket swivel? By the way, what size are the bolts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey kino1161,

Hi guys,

I surfed and found your discussion on the starter replacement. I'm contemplating of doing mine tomorrow (replace contacts and clean it) but noticed that you mentioned a 360 swivel and extension to get to the top bolt. Is that an extension swivel or a socket swivel? By the way, what size are the bolts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Brick,

I don't remember what sized bolts they were. Sorry. It was a socket swivel. It swivelled 360 degrees and then the socket attached to the end of that. Also, I went to Toyota and purchased the contacts for the Supra of the same year as my GS (1996). They fit perfect! Good luck! It really is not hard to do and I am not a great mechanic by any means. I just know how to "follow directions" well. :D

Hey kino1161,

Hi guys,

Brick,

I don't remember what sized bolts they were. Sorry. It was a socket swivel. It swivelled 360 degrees and then the socket attached to the end of that. Also, I went to Toyota and purchased the contacts for the Supra of the same year as my GS (1996). They fit perfect! Good luck! It really is not hard to do and I am not a great mechanic by any means. I just know how to "follow directions" well. :D

Thanks anyways. For the sake of those who are contemplating of doing it, here's a quick rundown of what I did. The 2 starter bolts are 14mm. I bought the swivel socket @ Sears and the new contacts @ the Toyota dealer (less than $20) :) . First of all, I disconnected the battery (negative side) cable. Unplugged the electrical connector and unscrewed the nut holding the big cable to the starter. Using a long and a medium extensions with the 14mm swivel socket I unscrewed the two bolts. (Loosen the bottom bolt first then the top.) Recommend you clean the outside of the starter before opening the cover plate to the contacts. Remove the 4 small bolts holding the cover plate and remove the plunger w/ the spring. Replace the contacts ensuring proper order of washer, o-ring and cap. To uniformly clean the plunger, I removed the spring and hooked it up to my drill gun and spun it - using a fine grit sandpaper, I gently smoothed out the pits until I got a shinny copper shine to it. Reinstalled everything together and bolted the starter back on. Don't forget to connect the wire and the cable! Reconnected the battery and the starter works like a champ! :cheers: