Replacement Tires For Ls430

rubypoo

At 25,000 I'm having to replace my OEM Dunlops on my 2003 LS430. Does anyone have good experience they could relay for a replacement tire? I do average driving in Southern California. TIA!

What is the exact tire size you need for your LS ruby? What important things do you want in a replacement tire? (IE: long mileage or treadlife, comfort, excellent wet traction ?) The more specific you can be, the better the tire recommendations I can make. B)

:cheers:

The OEM Dunlops say "P225/55R17 95H".

I would say that I want a very smooth, quiet ride (that's why I bought a Lexus). I almost hesitate to say I want long wear because the second set of tires I put on my 1998 GS300 were supposed to give me better wear, but they were NOISY! I would like a tire that will last though. Thanks for your help... I really have no idea what to do and it's a decision I need to make relatively soon.

The OEM Dunlops say "P225/55R17 95H".

I would say that I want a very smooth, quiet ride (that's why I bought a Lexus). I almost hesitate to say I want long wear because the second set of tires I put on my 1998 GS300 were supposed to give me better wear, but they were NOISY! I would like a tire that will last though. Thanks for your help... I really have no idea what to do and it's a decision I need to make relatively soon.

ruby, I will do some research for you later this morning. The LS 430 is quite a bit different than the GS you mention, including the type of tires both vehicles call for. The LS is Lexus' 'flagship'......the GS is a 'performance' sedan so it is no suprise the tires on the GS were noisy.....I will let you know & I am confident you can the best of all worlds (long wear on a quiet, comfortable tire with excellent traction in bad weather). I'll get back to you soon. B)

Ok, ruby,

Based on what you have told me your looking for in a tire, these are my suggestions in no specific order:

- Falken Ziex ZE-512 (www.falkentire.com) This is an excellent high performance all season tire & very often overlooked because not many have ever heard of the tire name Falken. They are made by the Japanese tire maker Sumitimo & are a VERY good value. My wife, several friends & co-workers have this tire (at my suggestion to all of them) & they just love the awesome grip in all weather conditions (including heavy rain, snow & ice conditions). First overall in a consumer report test of 20 all season performance tires. It has a 60,000 mile warranty. Only down side, is it's a 'high performance' all season tire so you might sacrifice a small amount of ride comfort for the better road feel & handling.

- Toyo Proxes TPT (www.toyo.com) I have these on my 2001 ES & have been very happy with them. fairly close to what I wrote about the Falkens in terms of performance with the exception of not as good ice traction......but awesome in heavy rain & snow. Slightly more expensive than the Falken with a 60,000 mile warranty as well. Very comfortable ride & quiet too.

- Yokohama Avid H4S. I have no personal experence with these tires, but they were on my short list when I went with the Toyo's. Slightly longer treadlife than the other 2 but not by much. From what several others have mentioned, everything has been positive & folks are happy campers with this tire. Around the same price as the Toyo's.

- Goodyear Assurance Comfortread. (www.goodyearassurance.com) A brand new line of premium all season tires. My Dad had the Comfortreads on his Park Avenue & they were fanatastic (the 'Comfortreads' is the one that is available, the 'Triple Treads' do not come in your size). This tire will have the most comfortable ride on your LS, so it is not designed for high performance in the corners and the like. However, if you like crusing the interstate for long drives & don't care much on the performance side of things....this should be your choice. Excellent bad weather performer.......heavy rain, snow & ice were never a problem for my Dad. He as bought a new car since (2002 Buick Century) & since it's available......he's going to give the Assurance Triple Treads a try this time around. This tire will also have the longest mileage or treadwear of any of the others at 80,000 miles. By far the quietest, & most comfortable but boring if high performance is your bag.

I hope this helps.....keep us posted & Good Luck! B) Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Wow, thanks for all the great info! I will dig alittle deeper into each of the tires you mentioned. I had never heard of Falken's until I found this site, but they seem to be a favorite. I put Yokohamas on my GS about 7000 miles before I sold it, but was really liking them, and just printed out the data on the Avids yesterday, along with the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. That gives me alot to read and digest on this rainy weekend in SoCal. Thanks again for all the help!

Wow, thanks for all the great info! I will dig alittle deeper into each of the tires you mentioned. I had never heard of Falken's until I found this site, but they seem to be a favorite. I put Yokohamas on my GS about 7000 miles before I sold it, but was really liking them, and just printed out the data on the Avids yesterday, along with the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. That gives me alot to read and digest on this rainy weekend in SoCal. Thanks again for all the help!

Happy to help ruby. B)

Happy to help ruby. B)

I recently purchased a set of Yoko V4S for my 96 ls400. After a few weeks of driving, I love them. Great traction and very silent. Got them for under $400 out the door! I did a lot of research and chose these because of others recommendations and tire ratings.

Happy to help ruby. B)

I recently purchased a set of Yoko V4S for my 96 ls400. After a few weeks of driving, I love them. Great traction and very silent. Got them for under $400 out the door! I did a lot of research and chose these because of others recommendations and tire ratings.

Good things have been said too about the Yoko V4S & H4S. B)

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update that I finally decided on the Falken Ziex ZE-512's and have had them on my car for a couple weeks now. So far, I really like the way they feel and handle, although they seem just slightly louder than the OEM Dunlops. However, I really am happy with them, especially the past couple of days in the rain. Thanks again for all your help!

Just an update that I finally decided on the Falken Ziex ZE-512's and have had them on my car for a couple weeks now. So far, I really like the way they feel and handle, although they seem just slightly louder than the OEM Dunlops. However, I really am happy with them, especially the past couple of days in the rain. Thanks again for all your help!

Excellent decision ruby! B) The tire noise should get quieter over time as you put some more mileage on them. Wait till you put them through their paces in a heavy rainfall.......that's one place where the Falken's shine! B)

Yep, Lexusfreak and some other people really got this one right. These tires are GREATE!!!!! I never knew this car can be this quite and absorb bumps/put holes this good because of these tires. Who said it was louder.... I know for a fact that my ls430, all i hear is the engine noise (very little) and the well known air noise on the door when doing over +50mph. If anyone is looking to upgrade their tires, believe me this is the one you want on your ride.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, Lexusfreak and some other people really got this one right. These tires are GREATE!!!!! I never knew this car can be this quite and absorb bumps/put holes this good because of these tires.  Who said it was louder.... I know for a fact that my ls430, all i hear is the engine noise (very little) and the well known air noise on the door when doing over +50mph.  If anyone is looking to upgrade their tires, believe me this is the one you want on your ride.

Well said cenw! :D Glad your happy with them. B)

• 1 month later...

Hope someone is still looking at this thread...

I have a 2001 LS430 with the "sport" package and 17" wheels. I am not finding the Falken Zeis 512s in the same size as the OEM Dunlops (225/55/R17). Am I missing it? Have others with the 17" wheels found these tires in this size? Or is another size suitable?

TIA!!!

Hope someone is still looking at this thread...

I have a 2001 LS430 with the "sport" package and 17" wheels. I am not finding the Falken Zeis 512s in the same size as the OEM Dunlops (225/55/R17). Am I missing it? Have others with the 17" wheels found these tires in this size? Or is another size suitable?

TIA!!!

Actually Bigrob, the Falkens are in fact available in the 225 55 17 size.....W speed rated no less. B) Here is the link to the available tire sizes below.....I hope this helps & good luck. ;)

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2005 LS430 with Dunlap tires. I am very happy with them so far (9K) but I am not sure why Dunlap was not considered as a replacement. I agree that replacing it at 25k hurts but the ride is incredible with these tires.

Is Dunlap tires the only OEM tire being sold for this model.

Please note: I am not sure if I would recognize bad tires on the car.

Thanks for the help. Also, I am putting 500 miles a week on the car so tire replacement is in my near future.

I think I am looking for the best ride possible from a tire perspective.

Thanks again for the education.

GO Lexus.

I have a 2005 LS430 with Dunlap tires.  I am very happy with them so far (9K) but I am not sure why Dunlap was not considered as a replacement.  I agree that replacing it at 25k hurts but the ride is incredible with these tires.

Is Dunlap tires the only OEM tire being sold for this model.

Please note:  I am not sure if I would recognize bad tires on the car.

Thanks for the help.  Also, I am putting 500 miles a week on the car so tire replacement is in my near future.

I think I am looking for the best ride possible from a tire perspective.

Thanks again for the education.

GO Lexus.

Refer to my questions I posted on the other thread you commented on. IF you tell me what exactly you are looking for in a tire, I will be better able to help with a selection. You mentioned the best possible ride.....as in smooth & quiet? It sounds like you need a long mileage tire if you do 500 miles a week. What is the exact tire size you need? :unsure: