Rx 330 Gas Milage

claud

Just got my 05 RX 330, and am sure that it will do better than my 01 RX 300 , but how much? Our old 01 awd got around 19 to 20 mpg running 75 to 80 mph on trips, and 16 to 17 mpg in town. Although our new 05 RX is a 2wd, I would also like to hear from awd owners too.

Just got my 05 RX 330, and am sure that it will do better than my 01 RX 300 , but how much?  Our old 01 awd got around 19 to 20 mpg running 75 to 80 mph on trips, and 16 to 17 mpg in town. Although our new 05 RX is a 2wd, I would also like to hear from awd owners too.

First I'll answer your question... We used to get 18-20 on our '00 RX300 AWD. So far with the '05 AWD RX330, we get around 18-19 (after less than 1K miles though) So I think we are getting around the same right now. Definitely like the car better too.

But my sneaky question is why anyone would buy a 2WD RX330? Especially if they live somewhere where it snows (albiet not very often.. though rain comes into play here as well). Were you trying to save maintenance and gas costs? I won't argue with anyone in the extreme south buying a 2WD. Just curious on your reasoning in N.C.

It snows maybe once or twice a year here. Usual snow is an inch or two. We have had a couple of 20+inch snows in the last five years. Usual winter storm is ice. AWD RXs have handled all with no problems. We have had several 2wd loaners over the years that drove better and seemed more powerful than our 4wd RXs. I have not been going to work until roads were cleared last couple of years anyway because the transplants from the northern states and others don't drive with care for the conditions.

After recent trip to Fla with wife in Acura , I realized that if I wanted to take 18 year old son with us, I'd need more room/luggage space like RX. We filled up the trunk for only a one week trip. We still needed the room of a station wagon, and reliability/resale of an RX.

Most RXs sold here are 2wd, so why not save the $1600+ and get better gas milage?

Just got my 05 RX 330, and am sure that it will do better than my 01 RX 300 , but how much?  Our old 01 awd got around 19 to 20 mpg running 75 to 80 mph on trips, and 16 to 17 mpg in town. Although our new 05 RX is a 2wd, I would also like to hear from awd owners too.

What gas octane grade? my RX300 get better numbers both in city and on hwy with 87 gas.

We ran mid grade 89 octane in our 01, and hope the 05 likes it as well.

I think your 01 AWD is in the range Lexus specifies. Although you should do better with 89, what is your driving style?

I installed K&N drop in air filter, removed unneeded weight for daily commune, (spare tire, jack, and wrenches from the trunk). Also I thermo wraped my exhaust header and pipes a while ago. Not to spark a debate on merits of doing these mods but combined I am getting >24 mpg on HWY and >20 mpg mixed driving with 87 octane gas.

I think your 01 AWD is in the range Lexus specifies. Although you should do better with 89, what is your driving style?

I installed K&N drop in air filter, removed unneeded weight for daily commune, (spare tire, jack, and wrenches from the trunk). Also I thermo wraped my exhaust header and pipes a while ago. Not to spark a debate on merits of doing these mods but combined I am getting >24 mpg on HWY and >20 mpg mixed driving with 87 octane gas.

Looks like the climate has a big factor in it. I used to get 23 during October when temperature is in the 60s. Now I only get 20 while temperature is 30s. That is why I saw guys from CA are reporting better results.

I am using KN drop-in air filter too.

In Northern Virginia, I get 21-23 mpg in combined driving. I use 89 octane gas, and the 2004 RX330 has never complained. I'm not sure why the dealer said to use premium gas, since the owners manual plainly states that 89 octane is fine.

Looks like the climate has a big factor in it. I used to get 23 during October when temperature is in the 60s. Now I only get 20 while temperature is 30s. That is why I saw guys from CA are reporting better results.

I am using KN drop-in air filter too.

Possible, when my RX was digging out of snow in upstate NY, my fuel computer tells me single digit mpg. If you are due for an oil change, pick a lighter oil for the winter such as 5w20 or 0w20. Make cold startups easier and I heard better mpg.

In Northern Virginia, I get 21-23 mpg in combined driving. I use 89 octane gas, and the 2004 RX330 has never complained. I'm not sure why the dealer said to use premium gas, since the owners manual plainly states that 89 octane is fine.

I cant get no where near 21MPG, of course I have not taken a lengthy trip yet either.

Yes the manual says its ok to use Reg unl. but it also states by using Premium you may get better performance?? I tried it and saw no differance really so I only use reg gas.

First road trip -- About 10 miles of city driving and then a trip of about 1/3 each of 69mph, 74mph, and 79mph and was at 22.6 mpg before re-fueling.

Sad part? Noticed a rattle in the center dash or over the guages where the pods meet the dash -- couldn't quite tell :(