Battery Still Good On My 98 Es300

Sunbeam

It's hard to believe, but I am still running my original battery. The car has 115,000 miles and has only seen 5-20 synthetic oil (a clue, perhaps to it's longevity). In the past, I have routinely replaced my batteries after 4 years whether I had to or not, assuming they would fail soon anyways. But this car is not garaged, in north NJ, and is still turning over and starting easily now on 20 degree mornings. With all I'm reading about new batteries failing, I'm hesitant to replace it. What do you think?

Also, when I finally replace it (prob with a Sears Northern region battery) which battery type fits the 98 (there are apparently 2 choices, but I'm not sure which is largest, capacity-wise.) Thanks!

I think your battery is close to the end of it's life, even though it cranks fine now. I think it's good insurance to buy a new battery so you don't get stuck if and when the temperature drops to single digits.

As replacement batteries on my '94ES I used the Sears Diehard Gold and got over 7 years of great service before they crapped out. Check with Sears to see what they offer as replacements for your car.

P.S. Your car calls for 5W-30 oil, not 5W-20.