Transmission Problems Anyone?

I am looking into buying a GS with rather high miles on it and my technician at the shop said that the transmission is probably weak and will die soon. Has anyone experienced any transmission problems on their Lexus? I thought that’s why you buy Lexus- to get away from those problems...

Let me know!

i love it when technicians "try" to predict without any known symptoms. "transmission is weak?" what's his basis on this? i have yet to sell a replacement transmission for a gs in all the years that i have been in the importing business.

Really? Thats cool. Well he says he has 3 older Lexuses that all needed new transmissions when they got close to 200k. I have known this guy for years, always fixing my cars when the break down. (which is why im looking at lexus) He also said that the GS transmission is close to 10K.

True or false?

So what would a used transmission for a 98 GS 400 run? $4000?

it's always baffling to me, being out of the loop like this, to comprehend why the guy would say that this higher mileage tranny is "weak". That is such a weak statement. It makes me weak in the stomach! it's gonna take me a week to stop thinking about this!

At worst, one day it'll need a rebuild. More labor cost than parts probably.

it's even more confusing that you know the guy well, why would he try to snow you? :-/ (rhetorical question)

This "mechanic" is full of sh*t! I have worked for lexus as a tech for 12 years and have seen only 3 rear wheel drive transmissions fail. I own a 1990 ls400, 1992 sc400, and a 1997 gs300, none with any type of transmission issue. All vehicles have over 100,000 miles, the ls400 having 278,984 miles. Never a problem.

So what would a used transmission for a 98 GS 400 run? $4000?

i don't have any of the GS400 transmission so i don't have an estimated price for it. but it shouldn't be that much.

but like i said before, i have never had any calls for GS auto transmissions, be it early model (1st gen)or late model (2nd gen)

• 1 month later...
This "mechanic" is full of sh*t! I have worked for lexus as a tech for 12 years and have seen only 3 rear wheel drive transmissions fail. I own a 1990 ls400, 1992 sc400, and a 1997 gs300, none with any type of transmission issue. All vehicles have over 100,000 miles, the ls400 having 278,984 miles. Never a problem.

Now you know 4 failed transmissions. I had a 96 GS300 and the transmission failed at 112K. I had it rebuilt for approx. $5400, (Solenoids were very expensive) There was a hairline crack in one of the pistons.

14 months later it failed again. (two months out of warranty) I had to get a new transmission.

96 was the first year Lexus put the 5-speed transmission in the GS. I still think it was a known problem with it.