Under The Knife Again...

AWJ

gallery_16_9_1104890925.jpg

First step, determine timing. Address some oil spillage issues. Powder coating. A lot of it. Turbo overhaul. Aggressive tune - stretch this little snail out and upgrade. Oh, some new body stuff and things will happen.

That's right my man. It's a t3/t04b with GN style flanges. The manifold is a one of a kind as far as I know. The damn thing is internally gated. Basically, my goal at this time is to address the fluid leakage (just slight oil spots) at the distributor and turbo return line. The guy who sold me the car could tell me zero specs on the turbo. I'm going to take it apart and measure the wheel diameters. I know it is not the typical t04. Lance did something to the hot side/cold side - had it spec'd direct from Garrett for the car and it's application at the time. The housings could use some attention for clean up. Last time I had the compressor blades exposed, I tweaked on the shaft a little and felt that shaft play was acceptable. The blades looked like they were loosing some type of coating though, or had some type of build up on them. Bigger wheel is possible but not likely. The car currently maxes at approx. 25 psi wich I have reached on one or two occasions. This is at 10:1. The dyno graphs I have show really conservative numbers. I think I can get 400hp to the wheels with the current set-up. Like I said, I'll pull it apart until I'm satisfied I've gone far enough. Probably put a wideband on it. Of course, new plugs are in order. Then I've got a guy in Lexington in mind whom I would like to have slap it up on rollers and give it all she's got. If it does 400hp, I'll keep it at that for little while making her pretty. I think I'm feelin' the show route for it. Not 100% on that but if so, I don't need to go farther. But it would be very cool. Sky is the limit. Keeping it simple now. The car will get air suspension and repaint before the turbo set-up is replaced with something a little more flowable (something from SP with a tubular header and fuel system). I'll update.

I really like the kit, it's subtle yet agressive in it's own way. That's something I have been looking for, but with how slow my progress on my car has been so far (absolutely zero) I don't think I'm going to get anything. Work is just too time consuming, I can't get anything done to my car. I figured Winter would be a slow down time, well that was wrong. We're getting busier, which completely ruins my plans for my car.

Maybe... one mans garabage is another mans gold...

Back to topic... anyone recommend a good company with fast turnaround on trubo overhaul? What a major PITA the egr modulator is. Yea, that won't happen again. EGR bypass will be installed. All that is coming off.. anyone wanna buy it? I've got my work cut out for me...

gallery_16_9_1106220193.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks good with the new style turbine!. how much was the overhaul? because i got a little bigger "replacement" for a project alltrac celica im doing i got a garret gt32 73 trim .78 a/r for like 600 bucks with shipping from atp turbo. its a little overkill for a 2 liter but its a suggestion for you if it doesnt flow enough for the 2j.

here are some pics of the turbo and the stock manifold i had to modify so that the new turbo would fit the stock manifold while i find time and make a tubilar manifold.

gallery_1984_9_1107754038.jpg

gallery_1984_9_1107754087.jpg

gallery_1984_9_1107754201.jpg

the gt32 turbo is full garrrett no mixing and matching parts so its really good and 2nd day air really ment 2nd day air, an hour after ordering the turbo i checked my email and the turbo had already been sent and this was late afternoon too. i really like the company i ordered it from oh yea the site is

atpturbo.com and the turbo i bought was actually about 650 but the shop i work for had an account so i got it a bit cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...