Not What I Expected From American Stitches

blake918

I had American Stitches recover my steering wheel a little less than a year and a half ago(August '03). Just recently, I noticed that the work they've done is looking like sh$t. The leather is actually chipping off the top. I don't wear rings or any kind of jewelery that could cause damage like this. Not to mention the color match from the get go sucked big time. I bought a wheel for my LS from a junkyard and wish I did the samething for my ES; no to mention it was about a third the cost of AS, and it still looks great after almost the same time. I've sent AS an email to see how this situation can be rectified. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up...

gallery_1461_51_1104871443.jpg

gallery_1461_51_1104871431.jpg

gallery_1461_51_1104871414.jpg

Ya that looks pretty bad. It looks like my steering wheel, but then again I never replaced the steering wheel in my car. I should do that one of these days. Is there some sort of warranty they gave you on your steering wheel Blake or has it expired?

That's not right... I had them do the wheel on my LS about three years ago and it still looks great. Mine is gray and there's a bunch of shades in the car so I was happy with the color match. They were highly recommended to me so I would be interested to see if they take care of you. What a PIA though... it's not like you can drive the car while you're waiting. Please let us know what they say...

Bob

that strikes a little worry. I remember when you got your work done. You were very excited about it. I had mine done there too... had it done with leather and marble wood. i hope mine doesnt do something like that. does your hand sweat alot ? often time people have the common problem where their hands sweat more than normal, i know that effects leather alot.... but only one year... thats amazing

Wow! Thats terrible. How does the rest of the wheel look?

I'd rate the rest of the wheel as mediocre at best. About 6 months into having the new wheel, it started to develop these little white specs; I tried everything to get them off, but nothing seemed to work.

Is there some sort of warranty they gave you on your steering wheel Blake or has it expired?

I have no idea! I was browsing their website, but they don't make any specific claims to one, but they did quote that less than 1% of the wheels they do come back for warranty work. That does inspire some hope!

That's not right... I had them do the wheel on my LS about three years ago and it still looks great. Mine is gray and there's a bunch of shades in the car so I was happy with the color match. They were highly recommended to me so I would be interested to see if they take care of you. What a PIA though... it's not like you can drive the car while you're waiting. Please let us know what they say...

Bob

Hmmm...I guess I just had some bad luck. I'll keep yall posted!

that strikes a little worry.   I remember when you got your work done.  You were very excited about it.   I had mine done there too... had it done with leather and marble wood.  i hope  mine doesnt do something like that.  does your hand sweat alot ?   often time people have the common problem where their hands sweat more than normal,  i know that effects leather alot.... but only one year... thats amazing

When I saw you as the last responder, I figured your teeth were probably cringing!! lol I remember the enthusiasm I had; I dug up the old thread to remind myself what I paid for it during my intial rant. lol I paid a little over $305 for mine, so I'm sure you were looking at $400+ for the wood inserts. I don't find that my hands sweat a lot-it's kinda hard when I never set the a/c over 70 lol- or are very oily. I've been gripping the 10 year old wheel in my LS for the past 21k miles, and it shows no signs of wear whatsoever. The leather from AS seems to just have fallen apart. You can see on my old wheel that it gradually broke down...you can see the frayed edges...this one seems to have cracked away.

Here's the link to my origional post. The second page has the best pics.... http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=3464&st=0

Saying I tried everything is a bit of an exageration. I used a very, very mild woolite solution and lexol leather cleaner. I believe both products are very mild and safe which is why I went with them. The white specs are on the lower portion of the wheel which is holding up fine in comparison to the top.

Here's the link to my origional post. The second page has the best pics....  http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=3464&st=0

Your old steering wheel was really worn out looking (mine is really bad, but the leather isn't coming off yet). Great before and after pictures, the steering wheel looked very good looking. I am really tempted to get my steering wheel done as well, but I might just go all out and get the wood and leather on it (your steering wheel looks nice NeiLtYmE). That won't be for awhile though, too many other expenses to worry about <_< . When do you plan to take off and send your wheel back to them?

I have a brand new casio camera that i just got. Ill take some pics and post them up this weekend. I also dont know where that picture is. Maybe i posted in someones thread at one point or another. Even funnier, i dont remember even taking pictures of the new interior.

When do you plan to take off and send your wheel back to them?

I don't know! Chances are that I probably won't. I just want the assurance from American Stitches that they aren't hanging me out to dry if I do decide to ship it back to them. The ES is driven about 500 miles a month, so it's not that big of a deal right now, and it will probably be sold before too long. I just wanted to warn you guys of AS....

:cheers:

Where are the pictures of Neil's wheel? I've never seen it.

Oh oops, I may not have been his steering wheel I've seen. I know it was another member who had his steering done with the leather/wood combo and it came out really nice. I can't remember who though. Sorry for the confusion Steve.

I don't know! Chances are that I probably won't. I just want the assurance from American Stitches that they aren't hanging me out to dry if I do decide to ship it back to them. The ES is driven about 500 miles a month, so it's not that big of a deal right now, and it will probably be sold before too long. I just wanted to warn you guys of AS....

Oh I see. Shame that you spent that much and it's peeling. I imagine removing the steering wheel is a pain in the neck, so I can't blame you for deciding not to send it back.

Oh I see.  Shame that you spent that much and it's peeling.  I imagine removing the steering wheel is a pain in the neck, so I can't blame you for deciding not to send it back.

Removing the wheel is really quite simple-2 hex screws hold the air bag, un clip the connector for the airbag, undo the nut that holds the wheel on, and the wheel pops right off with a steering wheel puller. However, mine is a little trickier because of the Lexus phone control on the wheel. :( Lexus interiors are pretty easy to disassemble!

The ES will probably be gone by the summer as it is primarily a driveway orniment at the moment since we have more cars than drivers at the house. Who knows though...I was supposed to sell it when I got the LS last March, so it might hang around a little longer, and if so, I'll get AS to redo the wheel if they agree! lol

Hmm I stand corrected then. Thought it would be a pain, but hey that's good news especially when I'm taking off the wheel to have it done. A driveway ornament...explains why it only racks up 500 miles a month. I cover about 1000 or more miles a month at least.

Hmm I stand corrected then.  Thought it would be a pain, but hey that's good news especially when I'm taking off the wheel to have it done.  A driveway ornament...explains why it only racks up 500 miles a month.  I cover about 1000 or more miles a month at least.

Yeah...it's really not hard so long as you have the puller; we had one laying around the garage, so it was a breeze! I'll cover about 25k miles this year in my LS; my highest mileage month was December--5k miles! :o The ES is just never driven! I'll drive it occasionally when I go home(we have a Cobra too, so I favor that as a weekend car because well, it's a Cobra! lol), and my dad will take it to an occasional meeting; I think it's been on maybe 1 or 2 hwy trips. lol 11 years and only 125k=10.5k miles a year. :o

When do you plan to take off and send your wheel back to them?

That is a shame what happened. I hope that AS tells you that they will fix it. That would be the right thing to do. It would be a shame to pay all that money and then they tell you that they won't fix it.

Let us know what they say.

Yeah...it's really not hard so long as you have the puller; we had one laying around the garage, so it was a breeze! I'll cover about 25k miles this year in my LS; my highest mileage month was December--5k miles!  :o  The ES is just never driven! I'll drive it occasionally when I go home(we have a Cobra too, so I favor that as a weekend car because well, it's a Cobra! lol), and my dad will take it to an occasional meeting; I think it's been on maybe 1 or 2 hwy trips. lol  11 years and only 125k=10.5k miles a year.  :o

Oh damn...5k in one month :o . That's a lot of driving for a month.

Oh I see.  Shame that you spent that much and it's peeling.  I imagine removing the steering wheel is a pain in the neck, so I can't blame you for deciding not to send it back.

Removing the wheel is really quite simple-2 hex screws hold the air bag, un clip the connector for the airbag, undo the nut that holds the wheel on, and the wheel pops right off with a steering wheel puller. However, mine is a little trickier because of the Lexus phone control on the wheel. :( Lexus interiors are pretty easy to disassemble!

The ES will probably be gone by the summer as it is primarily a driveway orniment at the moment since we have more cars than drivers at the house. Who knows though...I was supposed to sell it when I got the LS last March, so it might hang around a little longer, and if so, I'll get AS to redo the wheel if they agree! lol

HOW MUCH ARE YOU SELLING IT FOR!!!?????? (PM me PLEASE!!! so as not to get off topic)

OT, im really discouraged by your trobles balke, i was going th send my moms chrysler wheel in to have wood done, and they were going to do some pieces in matching wood for the doors and dash for it by subcontracting them to a connection they have.

but i guess it may not happen now. i can only imagine what the TX heat will do!!

BTW:

I think it's been on maybe 1 or 2 hwy trips. lol 11 years and only 125k=10.5k miles a year.

i may have you beat:

15 years, 142,564 miles as of today...someone thats good at math calculate that, im too lazy

15 years, 142,564 miles as of today...someone thats good at math calculate that, im too lazy

9504.26666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666667 :geek: