Clicking Sound When Using Wiper!

nicksan

Hi folks,

2001 ES300.

Was driving back from the dealer in the rain. Evertime the wiper "wipes" there seems to be some kind of "mechanical" click sound somewhere where the wiper area.

It doesn't sound like the wiper blade or assembly itself is making this sound. It's not very loud, and it almost sounds like it is meant to be there. But it is a pretty distinct click sound evey time it wipes. Gets annoying after like 30 minutes of driving in the rain.

Do you guys hear the same thing?

Thanks

Nick N.

is it a rythmatic sound or sporatic? Is the sound louder inside or outside the car?

does it make the sound when the wipers are in the same spot during their travel?

does the repetition of the sound increase as the speed of the wipers increase.

does it do it on INT, slow and fast or just on INT.

I ask because it may be the switch on the INT cycler.

Have you stood outside the car with the wipers on to see if you can hear it better?

Have you tired new rubber inserts.....use only Lexus teflon ones. (not toyota/not tirco/not anco/ not rainX/not bosch)

steviej

steviej,

The click sound occurs everytime the wiper return to its original position.

So it is not random.

I wouldn't call it "loud" but I can hear it, so it gets annoying after a while.

It does it in all modes.

It's definitely not the wiper hitting anything plastic or whatever...it's a mechanical sound inside the wiper "motor" or whatever it is that is moving it, I think.

I will try to hear it outside.

I had this same issue with a 99 Avalon I had puchased new. In that case it was a bad wiper motor. Unfortunately, I went though several wiper motors (with the blessing of the Toyota zone rep), before getting a quiet one.

Good Luck

gld98682,

How loud was the click?

Mine isn't terribly loud, but I hear it.

Man, one problem after the next!

It was loud enough to be anoying! One of the many reasons I dumped the Avalon!

On the Avalon, you could open the hood, pull the wipers to the resting position away from the glass, and operate the wipers. You could then hear and feel the noise from the wiper motor. However, due to the hood design of the ES (at least on my 97), you can't pull the wipers away with the hood open. I guess you will have to disconnect the wiper arm linkage to verify my suspisions.

Good Luck,

Gary

• 2 years later...
steviej,

The click sound occurs everytime the wiper return to its original position.

So it is not random.

I wouldn't call it "loud" but I can hear it, so it gets annoying after a while.

It does it in all modes.

It's definitely not the wiper hitting anything plastic or whatever...it's a mechanical sound inside the wiper "motor" or whatever it is that is moving it, I think.

I will try to hear it outside.

I have the same problem in my 2001 ES300 Coach edition. Pretty sure it's coming from the fuse box as I hear a similar click when I turn on the defroster. It makes a slight click when the wipers leave the home position and then a louder click when they return, like I can hear the electric relay.