Those Darn Pin Stripes?!

I have used two things with pretty good success for each one.

They both take some amount of patience, but they both WORK and wont' screw up your paint finish.

#1. Goo Gone. Orange colored, goo-remover available at Lowes, Walmart, etc. Works even better if you let it soak on their for a little bit first. (I know, it's the side of the car. squirt the entire cars stripes, then work your way around.)

#2. Hair Dryer / Heat Gun. (loosens up the adhesion so you can pull it off)

Sometimes I've done the hair dryer to get going, then finished up the job with Goo Gone.

thanks for the replies and yes the pin stripes are painted on :angry:

i called my local body shop and they said the stripes would have to be wet sanded and buffed off. that sounds pretty scary to me! i'm starting to think the stripes aren't that bad and not worth risking the paint. what do you guys think... see pictures here...

my to do list:

1. get 20" wheels!

2. custom install radar detector

3. add sub to factory audio

4. chrome out the grill (maybe the benz look-a-like?)

5. suspension

the option of wet sanding it is ok

if you are a pro

because you need a high speed buffer to finish the paint after

you could always get a different colour or same one as the car pin stripe and cover it ( the vinyl ones)

hi all, just joined the club :D

picked up a 99 gs300 and absolutely love it! the only thing i'm not crazy about are the pin stripes. anyone have any advice on taking them off and/or have you done this yourself?

thanks for the help,

sebastian

If the pin stripes are a sticker type, you can use a good hair dyrer to remove them. Simply point the dyrer at the stripe, (not to hold it in one place to long) and slow pick away. One you have removed the stripes, clay and wax the area.. The is a good saturday project..Good luck...