Gs430 0-60 Performance Not To Spec

Members,

I just bought my 1st Lexus, a 2001 GS430 31K miles. Awesome!

It's pretty powerfull, however, what is correct or best way to get the rated 5.8second 0-60. From a dead stop I basically floor it. With timer on my watch I get around 7.5sec. I would have expected the tire to burn out or at least squeal. The ECT in in power mode, shifter in D position. Am I suppose to hold the break with left foot and rev up the engine before releasing brake? I'm not a racer so parden my ignorance....

thx

Members,

I just bought my 1st Lexus, a 2001 GS430  31K miles.  Awesome!

It's pretty powerfull, however,  what is correct or best way to get the rated 5.8second 0-60.  From a dead stop I basically floor it.  With timer on my watch I get around 7.5sec. I would have expected the tire to burn out or at least squeal.  The ECT in in power mode, shifter in D position.  Am I suppose to hold the break with left foot and rev up the engine before releasing brake? I'm not a racer so parden my ignorance....

thx

It usually doesn't make that much difference. It's really hard to time with a watch.

Turn your "trac" off and try it that way.

Members,

It's pretty powerfull, however,  what is correct or best way to get the rated 5.8second 0-60.  From a dead stop I basically floor it.  With timer on my watch I get around 7.5sec. I would have expected the tire to burn out or at least squeal.  The ECT in in power mode, shifter in D position.  Am I suppose to hold the break with left foot and rev up the engine before releasing brake? I'm not a racer so parden my ignorance....

thx

Dude I have only one thing to say. SRT intake and PC upgrade, and hold on!

Members,

thx

Dude I have only one thing to say. SRT intake and PC upgrade, and hold on!

Just wondering, PC?

...From a dead stop I basically floor it. 

To get a good launch without spinning the tires:

At a complete stop, brake hard and load the TC up by reving the engine to ~1500 RPM (right under the stall speed of the TC). If you have to much gas, the rear wheels will start breaking loose, back off slightly.

At the same time, release the brake w/left foot and roll into the throttle w/right foot. This is the part that takes skill. If the throttle is just mashed, then the tires will spin and the time will suffer, if it's not rolled into fast enough, the max performance isn't realized.

Members,

It's pretty powerfull, however,  what is correct or best way to get the rated 5.8second 0-60.   From a dead stop I basically floor it.  With timer on my watch I get around 7.5sec. I would have expected the tire to burn out or at least squeal.  The ECT in in power mode, shifter in D position.  Am I suppose to hold the break with left foot and rev up the engine before releasing brake? I'm not a racer so parden my ignorance....

thx

It usually doesn't make that much difference. It's really hard to time with a watch.

Turn your "trac" off and try it that way.

whats srt and pc upgrade how much and where.

...I'll also try it with the VSC off too. BTW, what do you mean by TC...

Yes, to get the best times, you'll need to be PWR mode with VSC off. As noted, TC is torque converter. It's the clutch of an auto trans. By loading it up to the stall speed you eliminate any delay in spooling up the drivetrain.

With a little practice, you'll max out the number, whatever that is. Meeting magazine nunbers on an auto trans is much easier that a manual. I've been able to max out my old Imapala SS with auto trans, with my manual trans Vette, I'm a 1/2 second slow in the quarter mile, after 6-7 trips to the strip.

re: SRT intakes:

how's that old line go, "figures don't lie, but liars figure"?

Sorry to just jump in but I was wondering if the SRT intake with the ecu mod would void my warranty? It seems like a sure bet to extract a little extra power and response.

Thanks,