Newbie Needs Advice

fast50ranger

Hello to everyone, I am new here and I am trying to decide between a silver 1991 or pearl white 1992 LS400. Both are priced at $4990, both have around 160,000 miles the 91 has a few more miles. The 91 has the NAK stereo system. I have never owned a Lexus before and I have been looking through the website, which is very helpful. Is there anything in particular that I should look for in the test drives. Does the price sound like a good price? Any help is appreciated.

I went and looked at both cars today. They both wer nice. The '91 had 144,000 miles and chrome ES300 wheels(which I did not like), it also appeared as if someone had an aftermarket stereo installed in the trunk because it was wired for an amplifier. The '92 did not have the NAK system but it did have a dealer sticker that indicated that a timing belt change had been done at 117,000 miles, no leaks, all electronics worked and instrument lights were bright. However I did notice a clunking sound when going over rough parts of the road. Is $4890 a fair price on this car with 160,000 miles?

To me it sounds like the 92 is a better buy from what you have stated above.

WRT the clunking sound, it could be a suspension issue. Did you notice the noise coming from the front or back? Does it have air suspension? Also, are you sure the clunking noise was not just tyre thump over potholes?

Get the vehicle checked out by a mechanic that is knowledgable with the LS400 prior to purchasing. That way you'll know if you need to do any costly repairs beforehand and can use this info as a bargaining tool to lower the purchase price.

Neither car sounds good. Instead of buying from a used car cealer, buy from a private party owner. Best situation is a one owner car with extensive Lexus dealer maintenance records and under 120,000 miles. Price should be around $6000 - $12000 depending on the odometer mileage and maintenance records.

95% of used car buyers ignore this advice and are totally obsessed with getting a "steal of a deal" like the $4995 type cars you are looking at. These buyers are, quite frankly, living in a fantasy world if they expect a $4995 LS400 to be reliable and durable. Sometimes these buyers can't afford a $6000 - $12,000 Lexus and if that is the case they should buy a well maintained, low mileage mid-90's Camry, Avalon or early 90's ES300

I got a steal of a deal Monarch and its treating me well...I paid $4k for my 91 and $8200 for my 95.

Hey fast50ranger, just take it to a shop for a certified inspection and have them take a look at both vehicles.

92 hands down.......it sounds like it was really well taken care of........timing belt/WP outta the way........smooth sailing :) $4,900 is more than fair, for properly maintaned GEN 1 LS

that clunk is a very common issue, and is easily fixed, it is either, worn bushings, ball joints, or bad struts, no biggie......very common...