K&n Air Filter For The Sc430

SteveO

Happy New Year, y'all,

I couldn't find any posts here with experiential information with the K&N air filter. I've used this filter on prior cars with noticeable improvement in horsepower, acceleration, and gas mileage.

So, I checked online, and there is a K&N for the SC430. Has anyone tried it, and if so, with what result? The filters are inexpensive (typically under $35), reusable, and are designed to allow virtually unrestricted air flow.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Steve

2002 Silver SC430, 26,000 miles

Rear badges removed

Still love my new Fuzion tires!

post-14448-1104648802_thumb.jpg

Based on my experiences with K&N, both FIPK and drop in filters, there are little or no differences between these versus a "clean" stock filter. The only real difference was a noticeable improvement in throttle response. It's much more responsive than before, being more pronounced with the FIPK than the drop-in.

Then there were absolutley no differences. For one, I saw no difference in MPG and two, no difference in power (well, the seat-o-pants dyno anywhow). These are the two things I wanted to improve when I was new to this sort of thing. -no dice.

In my opinion, the only real benefit to this, other than racing applications, is that this is the last filter you will ever have to purchase. When it gets dirty, all you have to do clean and re-oil the thing. Simple as that. The only thing you will have to worry about is over-oiling it because oil can get sucked in and contaminate your MAF sensor (well, that was my experience with other cars).

If you do decide to get one, you better enjoy the first 3 months of it, because the improved performance difference that you feel, if you experience one, will long be forgotten.

• 4 years later...
Happy New Year, y'all,

I couldn't find any posts here with experiential information with the K&N air filter. I've used this filter on prior cars with noticeable improvement in horsepower, acceleration, and gas mileage.

So, I checked online, and there is a K&N for the SC430. Has anyone tried it, and if so, with what result? The filters are inexpensive (typically under $35), reusable, and are designed to allow virtually unrestricted air flow.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Steve

2002 Silver SC430, 26,000 miles

Rear badges removed

Still love my new Fuzion tires!

post-14448-1104648802_thumb.jpg

I put a K and N in my sc430 today. She seems to have a bit more power, and quicker throttle response. Nothing dramatic but worth a few dollars...

Based on my experiences with K&N, both FIPK and drop in filters, there are little or no differences between these versus a "clean" stock filter. The only real difference was a noticeable improvement in throttle response. It's much more responsive than before, being more pronounced with the FIPK than the drop-in.

Then there were absolutley no differences. For one, I saw no difference in MPG and two, no difference in power (well, the seat-o-pants dyno anywhow). These are the two things I wanted to improve when I was new to this sort of thing. -no dice.

In my opinion, the only real benefit to this, other than racing applications, is that this is the last filter you will ever have to purchase. When it gets dirty, all you have to do clean and re-oil the thing. Simple as that. The only thing you will have to worry about is over-oiling it because oil can get sucked in and contaminate your MAF sensor (well, that was my experience with other cars).

If you do decide to get one, you better enjoy the first 3 months of it, because the improved performance difference that you feel, if you experience one, will long be forgotten.

There is NO performance benefit from K&N filter and little if any from the Injen Intake system (see dyno results posted below). The only benefit that I see is that it can be reused and there is some controversey about that.

• 5 months later...

I put a K&N Lifetime Air Filter in my '04 SC430 a few months ago and then reset the MPG on the display immediately. 3 months later it is telling me I get 19.1 MPG with the new filter which is .7 MPG more than what I was getting before I upgraded the filter. I have been doing the same driving (highway/city ratio) this whole time so if anything it's getting better gas mileage! I too also feel like it gives quicker throttle response but hey that cant really be measured...