Oem Hid Headlight Upgrade ? (xenon)

nkt001

Looking for some information regarding this.....

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2000 ES300, has all the options that I want, mileage is good, but it doesn't have the HID headlight option....I really would have liked to have that, but I think I'm going to purchase the car anyways.....I can't be TOO picky !!

Anyways...is it possible to take the HID headlights from a 2000-2001 ES that had that option and simply "drop 'em in" or is there some other things that need to be done. I would like it if I could just get a set of those headlight and plug and play, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anyways...is it possible to take the HID headlights from a 2000-2001 ES that had that option and simply "drop 'em in" or is there some other things that need to be done.  I would like it if I could just get a set of those headlight and plug and play, but I'm not sure if it's possible.  Any help would be appreciated.

in addition to the headlight buckets you would need to install the ballasts and the associated wiring harnesses with them. I do not know if you would need a different amperage fuse or if the existing would be sufficient.

I haven't heard/read of anyone doing this type of upgrade but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

steviej

in addition to the headlight buckets you would need to install the ballasts and the associated wiring harnesses with them.  I do not know if you would need a different amperage fuse or if the existing would be sufficient.

I haven't heard/read of anyone doing this type of upgrade but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

steviej

Thanks for the info......I'm actually suprised there are not more people who are doing this or have done this.....I suspect that the aftermarket HID kits are much more affordable so more people are doing that. Anyways, I belive that the ballasts are built into the bottom of the headlight assembly, but is there any other associated wiring that I would need??

Thanks

NT

NICE !! Acutally, I have looked at that before.....that is exactly what I would like to do. The question is, were you able to drop in the HID headlight assembly and just plug and play, or was there more involved. Also, there might be some differences between the 97 and the 2000. Also I REALLY like the Navigation System......I'm assuming that was not easy.

Any info would be appreciated.

NICE !! Acutally, I have looked at that before.....that is exactly what I would like to do. The question is, were you able to drop in the HID headlight assembly and just plug and play, or was there more involved. Also, there might be some differences between the 97 and the 2000. Also I REALLY like the Navigation System......I'm assuming that was not easy.

Any info would be appreciated.

My Phillips is plug-plug so to speak. This webpage is old, but your get the idea:

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/lexus.htm

The left headlamp was a bit hard to fit as the metal behind was in the way so I had to bend it.  The wiring is direct but the connectors do not fit so you have to modify those.

You should thow up some pictures on your website of the headlight assembly mounted under the hood......what you needed to do to fit them. Also, can I ask for some information on how you did your Navi System?? That thing is freakishly sweet !!!

a good aftermarket sourced kit using oem ballasts is the easiest and cheapest way to go for maximum reliability

don;t use mc cullough kits they are crap and die easy

Thanks for the advice on the mc cullough kits......it really helps alot as I'm still very new to this and am doing a lot of research. If I don't do the oem setup, I'm probably going to do an aftermarket one......

I know how you feel about the mc cullough kits.......do you have any recomendations....

Thanks

NT

only hella /phillips ballasts ( they are the same made by phillips rebradned for hella,others may think different but have no clue)

the earlier ones with built in ignitors seem to preform flawlessly over time which would be the 97-2000 style ones that i use also after having 3 types it is the best hands down with zero problems

always add a seperate ground to the ballast cases have them properly sealed from water and use bulbs which are oem style of 4000 to 5300k colour for output and longevity never buy a bulb with tinted blue lenses for the purple colour.

Buy a bulb with the oem d2r or d2s name on it and a good base adapter for your fitment as needed such as mine is 9006

don't buy them if you have any electrical problems as the ballasts are sensative to voltage spikes and drops(especially) if your alternator is not up to snuff replace ti before installing it.

300-500 is the price range for a new system

this is a good kit with external ignitors but oem to toyota

33_1_b.JPG

this is a style of crappy bulbs

9006.jpg

this is the styles i have in both of my personal cars and love them as does anyone else i know with them for reliability, they only have problems if they use crappy bulbs and cut off the red end harness which is oem for almost every manufacturer

74_1_b.JPG

good luck lots of choices but few are quality

taiwan quality ones are bull !Removed! you will be replacing bulbs and ballasts like you have money to waste.

i have 2 cars and 7 ballasts with 8 bulbs ,case in point

only hella /phillips ballasts ( they are the same made by phillips rebradned for hella,others may think different but have no clue)

the earlier ones with built in ignitors seem to preform flawlessly over time which would be the 97-2000 style ones that i use also after having 3 types it is the best hands down with zero problems

always add a seperate ground to the ballast cases have them properly sealed from water and use bulbs which are oem style of 4000 to 5300k colour for output and longevity never buy a bulb with tinted blue lenses for the purple colour.

Buy a bulb with the oem d2r or d2s name on it and a good base adapter for your fitment as needed such as mine is 9006

don't buy them if you have any electrical problems as the ballasts are sensative to voltage spikes and drops(especially) if your alternator is not up to snuff replace ti before installing it.

300-500 is the price range for a new system

this is a good kit with external ignitors but oem to toyota

33_1_b.JPG

this is a style of crappy bulbs

9006.jpg

this is the styles i have in both of my personal cars and love them as does anyone else i know with them for reliability, they only have problems if they use crappy bulbs and cut off the red end harness which is oem for almost every manufacturer

74_1_b.JPG

good luck lots of choices but few are quality

taiwan quality ones are bull !Removed! you will be replacing bulbs and ballasts like you have money to waste.

i have 2 cars and 7 ballasts with  8 bulbs ,case in point

Thanks for all the info !! Can I ask where you mounted your ballasts.....do you happen to have any pics of your installation??

Thanks

NT

I have a 04 ES330 with the factory HID. I'm guessing the OEM HID bulb are only 4000k. I like to change the weak factory HID bulb to a brighter 6000k HID bulb. Can I simple change the bulb to 6000k using the existing ballast without causing any problems.

I have a 04 ES330 with the factory HID.  I'm guessing the OEM HID bulb are only 4000k. I like to change the weak factory HID bulb to a brighter 6000k HID bulb. Can I simple change the bulb to 6000k using the existing ballast without causing any problems.

As long as the base type is the same (i.e. H7 or whichever), it shouldn't be a problem. Just plug-and-play.

I have a 04 ES330 with the factory HID.  I'm guessing the OEM HID bulb are only 4000k. I like to change the weak factory HID bulb to a brighter 6000k HID bulb. Can I simple change the bulb to 6000k using the existing ballast without causing any problems.

You can do that but you'll just get bluer light, with acutually fewer lumens of light output.

what i think you have in your es300 now are regular halogen bulbs..they give off the yellow hue color just as every other average cheep car out there....my bro has an 01 toyota camry pretty much the equivilant of the es300...last summer i wanted to upgrade them to HID aka xenon lamps. What i did and what you should probably do is just replace the bulbs. Pop open the hood, unplug and pull out the halogens you have now out. The size should be H7 im almost 100% sure. Go on ebay (best deal a nd fast shipping) and buy a pair of H7 xenon bulbs. If all you want is the look of HID this is the thing to do. The price u should be spending shouldn't be more than 10-20 dollars. MAKE SURE the kelvin temp on them is more than 7000k and more or equal to 55 watt...at first i got a pair of 6000k for my camry nd well it was ok..better than the halogens but not good enough. then i got a pair of 8500k and they were perfect! When you see pictures they look too blue but they're the same color as the Lexus hid. Unbelievebly bright and had a light tint of sky-blue to them. I wouldn't get the over 200 dollar ones they look the same as these and they are more of a hassel to gettem in. When you compare the old halogens to the new ones u wont believe how you got along without them...

ebay halogen bulbs or any that use "K" as a selling feature as the higher "kelvin" you get the less light output you get.

Silverstars or PIAA are the only halogen replacments worthy of changing to for greater bulb output by design of filaments and gases not just a cheap asss coating on the bulb to make a colour.