Lexus 95 Dead Battery Problem

sunman

I have 1995 Lexus ES300 with 150,000 miles. All maintaince done. In excellent shape. The battery keeps on dying. If i charge in the morning then it is fine throughout the day. When I get up in the the morning it's dead. The battery is new. About 6 months old from Walmart. Terminals are new and replaced 2 days ago. The battery voltage is 14.4 volts when the car is on which makes me think the alternator is ok then. I can't figure it out. The car has no added accessories except the XM radio which uses the Cig lighter. No other modifications were done to this car. No seat heaters either. Can it still be the alternator or battery? And I never leave the headlamps on.

your dilemna is similar to another member, nicksan.

1. have your battery and alternator load tested at Autozone.

2. if those check out ok, then start looking for items that will drain you battery overnight. For example, trunk light, visor lights, interior lights, pubble lights, etc.

one or more of these may stay on when you walk away from the car and retire for the evening. Check each out.

you say the battery keeps dieing....how many times and how long ago did it start.

didn't you just install a navi system or am i thinking of a different member or a different car?

steviej

Member nicksan started up a thread a couple days ago with the same problem ur having. His problem is currently unresolved at this time. Follow up on his thread and try some of the suggestions in it:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=16436

Try tracing back when the problem occurred and maybe disable accessories that were installed (i.e., XM radio, remote starters, etc).

I installed the NAV in my 97 Lexus. This is the 95 Lexus bone stock. The battery dies everyday. In the morning it is usually dead. I will get the alternator and battery tested. Can it be a bad cell in the battery?

THere is a rule of thumb that every time a lead acid battery goes dead it loses 30-50% of its power. You can tell that because once a battery goes dead it never has the juice it once had.

Killing a new battery has to be something loading the battery. If you have an amp meter disconnect one terminal and measure the current draw with the motor off and everything else off. To kill a new battery in a day has to be 3-10 amps pull.

to test the alternator with a regualr meter or a load tester the 1mz alt needs to be tested when it is hot after running an hour and at idle

it usually shows its colours them but never at cold idle

also chaneg the battery cables while you are at it

Sounds like you may have a parasitic drain. - Parasitic drains are the small current drains required to operate various electrical systems, such as the clock, computer memory, or alarms, that continue to work when the car is parked and the ignition is off. All vehicles today have parasitic drains and over time will drain all batteries if not driven or charged periodically. The problem is when the parasitic drain becomes excessive, usually over 35 milliamps.