Cd Changer Problem

Hello All-

I'm a relative newbie to this club so I'm not sure if anyone else has had and/or addressed this problem.

I have a 92 ES300 and the CD changer just stopped functioning. The radio and cassette player work fine, but there is no response when I press the CD button. I checked the changer located in the trunk. There is power to the unit since the "press" button light is on, however even when I press it to eject the cd cartridge, I get nothing. This justs adds to the frustration because I cannot retrieve my CD's. Before this occurred, the changer was slow to locate tracks, but otherwise functioning properly. I have a mix of orig. CD's and CD-R which the changer did not previously have a problem reading. Even though I know that the changer is receiving power and the radio works, I still checked all the possible fuses, which were fine.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

WOW, YOUR CHANGER LASTED 11 YEARS. TODAYS AFTERMARKET STUFF LUCKY TO LAST A YEAR OR 2.MAKE SURE YOUR CIG/RADIO FUSE NOT BLOWN YOUR LIGHTER WOULDNT WORK IF IT WAS BLOWN. ALSO THE RADIO FUSE #1 IS THE 2ND FUSE POWERING YOUR CD CHANGER. THE CIRCUIT BOARD ISNT AVAILABLE ANYMORE SO IF THATS BLOWN THEN YOU HAVE TO BUY A USED ONE. THEY GO FOR AROUND 250.00 FOR A MINT 96 ES300 CHANGER IS WHAT I WOULD LOOK FOR. IT WILL STILL HAVE PLENTY OF LIFE LEFT IN IT. IT IS MODEL CDX-M9071ZT MADE BY PIONEER AND JAPAN AND IS VERY HIGH QUALITY(IT LASTED 11 YEARS FIND ME A BETTER ONE) VERSION OF IT IS STILL USED IN THE 2003 BMW 7 SERIES.

whoa what is up with the shouting ( lol)

i know you must have forgotten to take the caps off

lol

anyway

when you say no response when you press the button does the deck do nothing or show an error on the screen

or it goes blank while waiting for the cd

Thank you all for the responses.

I checked the fuses located in the engine bay fuse box and the fuse panel on the lower left side of the driver's side. The fuses look fine, and the cigarette lighter does work. Is there another fuse that I'm missing? I had no idea that the life span of these CD changers are so short.

When the system is off and I press the CD Comp button, nothing happens. It does not turn on or anything. If I'm listening to the radio and press the CD Comp button, the radio just continues to play. Usually, the display changes from the radio station to the disc and track numbers, and the radio turns off. There is no "Err" display. Prior to this happening, I did experience a blank display as it was waiting for the CD, but the disc and track number would eventually show up.

I would appreciate any insight on fixing this problem. I'm tired of listening to radio. It's either all talk or the same songs being played over and over.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...