2007 Nightmare

jvcn

f5fecb82.jpg.orig.jpg

I understand that this is the proposed LS for 2007. To me it looks hideously grotesque.

Too much like an attempt to look hot. It cheapens the brand and puts the Rap/Bling group in charge. I thought the LS series was immune to this sort of pressure. I mean they can s*x up the GS or IS series all they want, but why can't the top of the line remain elegant and sedate?

If this is what original "styling" gets us, I pray they go back to copying mid80s German designs. As far as I'm concerned, the new MercS, BMW 7 and now the LS 2007 should all be consigned to design H**L!

:angry:

f5fecb82.jpg.orig.jpg

I understand that this is the proposed LS for 2007.  To me it looks hideously grotesque. 

Too much like an attempt to look hot.  It cheapens the brand and puts the Rap/Bling group in charge.  I thought the LS series was immune to this sort of pressure.  I mean they can s*x up the GS or IS series all they want, but why can't the top of the line remain elegant and sedate?

If this is what original "styling" gets us, I pray they go back to copying mid80s German designs.  As far as I'm concerned, the new MercS, BMW 7 and now the LS 2007 should all be consigned to design H**L!

:angry:

I've seen this image before and doubt the '07 LS will have all the bling-bling on it. I think it will change more drastically than it has in the past, but I don't think Lexus will want to totally alienate its present customers. I believe the design will have more worldwide appeal since Lexus is going to start attacking the European market much more aggressively than in the past. Unless lexus decides to give us an advanced look at the new LS at one of the auto shows as it did with the GS, we probably won't know much about the design until late 2006.

Mike

I've seen this image before and doubt the '07 LS will have all the bling-bling on it. I think it will change more drastically than it has in the past, but I don't think Lexus will want to totally alienate its present customers. I believe the design will have more worldwide appeal since Lexus is going to start attacking the European market much more aggressively than in the past.

Mike

I can only hope you're right. But Toyota has been getting awfully cocky as its profits have grown, and market leaders can become dinosaurs overnight. I hope they don't forget that the US is the biggest market and that the LS was first designed specifically for the US. I expect them to continue to make inroads into Europe but it will be a constant struggle because of greater European regulation and subsidies for domestic manufacturers.

As it is, I am worried that someone at Toyota will take to heart the constant carping of critics that the Lex ride is too soft and that it doesn't have the PANAAACHE or "Soul" of the Euros (Aside: Why does soul always get trotted out when customers have to pay homage to the repair man on a regular basis?). I say there's a reason Lexus is now the dominant luxury seller in the US and that everyone else should get in line. Most of the core Lex buyers don't post to these sorts of forums, nor are their voices easily heard. Except where it counts -- at buying time. Lexus has thrived by splitting the diff between Teutonic harshness and American float, while providing unmatched fit, finish, and reliability at a fair price.

To give this up for some misguided attempt at hipness and critical acceptance would be a mistake akin to Bill Gates dumping Windows just because Mac guys don't like the PC.

I do hope that the photo is a bit extreme. The new 7 series is a homely car. Looks like a blob, I doubt that Lexus could "out ugly" the 7. Too bad that Lexus has not gotten to the point, to where they can use a hood ornament. I just cant see a Lexus emblum, standing proudly, on the end of a hood. Maybe because it looks too much like Toyotas. For some reason, I just really like the look of a hood ornament. It is like a "finishing touch." I like the "heavy" look that the LS has now. I hope that it does carry over into the next one. And SURELY, Lexus would not DARE put in some silly "one knob, controls the whole car" type thing. Perhaps, they could think of a stylish way, to use a column mounted shifter. To free up acres of console space. This is the ONE wise thing, that BMW did. Except, use the normal shift pattern, i.e. Move the leaver all the way up, for park. Rather then a button for park (that doesnt fit with me, for some reason). I heard somewhere, that Lexus was thinking about a V-12. Dont you know, that it would probably be the smoothest engine, in any car made now.

The posted image is that of a concept car, intended to generate excitement and feedback. The production model will have to accomodate real-life details like US bumper collision requirement (5 mph?), headlight washers, fog lights, front brake cooling ducts, etc.

I doubt they will have any trouble selling the new look. They are all about profits after all and some people will buy cars because they are new looking. The Chrsyler 300C is a good example, they are all over the place now.

As for hood ornaments I'll have to pass. I have removed them from cars before and am thinking about removing the one from my Caprice. A Lexus with a hood ornament would be too much for me.

Having seen the new GS in person I could buy that thats an early drawing of what will eventually become the new LS, it fits in the design scheme.

That said, its just a preliminary sketch, don't jump to conclusions before you see the real thing or at least a better drawing. Everyone was concerned about the new GS, and I think it looks fantastic in person.

i just read a mag in a news stand(in japan) and there was a line up of all of the new lex cars, the hybrid LS will have a total out put of a little over 600 hp, and that v12 someone mentioned is also going to be twin turbo. the SC will change slightly getting a facelift for a more aggressive look. i forgot about the rest, the IS has like 3 different versions and yadayada cant remember any more but twin turbo v12 sounds excelent and so does hybrid output of over 600 horeses.