Full Synthetic Oil Vs. Reg. Oil

wendell

I change my oil and use 5w30 full synthetic oil each time, am I just wasting my money? I use my truck for everyday stop and go freeway traffic but I rarely drive it "hard". I think my fuel consumption is less with the full synthetic oil vs. the regular 5w30 oil.

What do you guys n gals use?

any comments or recommendations?

The synthetic oil companies have had 30 years to prove to the general public that synthetic oil significantly extends engine life and fuel econonmy in Asian car engines. But they have failed to do so. So I think it is reasonable to think the oil companies just don't want the public to know the truth about the marginal to non-existant engine wear or fuel economy benefits of using synthetic oil in Asian car engines. Countless Toyota owners have achieved engine durability results similar to this http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG without using synthetic oil.

The synthetic oil companies have had 30 years to prove to the general public that synthetic oil significantly extends engine life and fuel econonmy in Asian car engines. But they have failed to do so.  So I think it is reasonable to think the oil companies just don't want the public to know the truth about the marginal to non-existant engine wear or fuel economy benefits of using synthetic oil in Asian car engines.  Countless Toyota owners have achieved engine durability results similar to this http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG without using synthetic oil.

wendell,

VERY touchy subject on these forums that always opens up a can or worms. I personally use Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic & will continue to use it along with a top quality oil filter (I use K & N or Mobil 1 filters). Instead of getting into yet another debate about the subject.....do a search on any of the forums (especially specific models of Lexus & in the maintenance forum). You will get a 'wealth' of information & many opinions on the subject. B)

I hope this isn't going to be a long topic on this thread. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

It may depend on your change interval. In the UK the oil is changed every 10,000 miles and I wouldn't like to do that on regular oil so semi-synthetic or fully synthetic is the norm for most people.

Colin,

You folks in the UK change your oil only every 16,000 kms or 10,000 miles? :blink: Canadian Lexus manuals say every 8,000 kms or 5,000 miles :huh:

:cheers:

In the UK the oil is changed every 10,000 miles

What is the oil change interval recommended in your official UK Lexus Scheduled Maintenance Guide or UK Owners Manual? I'm talking about what the corporate Lexus manuals recommend, not what your local UK dealers or mechanics recommend.

The official Lexus GB interval, and what is in the service schedule and owners service book, is 10k miles or 1 year. All Toyotas have an official interval from Toyota GB of 10k miles or 1 year.

Has been this way on new vehicles since 1999. Before that it was every 9k miles or 1 year for 1994-1998 vehicles and before that every 6k miles or 6 months.

Very few owners would change their oil more frequently than the recommended (not even 1% of owners).

It may depend on your change interval. In the UK the oil is changed every 10,000 miles and I wouldn't like to do that on regular oil so semi-synthetic or fully synthetic is the norm for most people.

In the US, lots of $ is spend on educating drivers to change oil every 3000 miles. There is no reason to change oil that frequent. An oil test is done on Mobile One synthetic and found engine oil is good after 10000 miles but starts to degrade before 11000 miles. Anyone wants to do their own oil test can use Blackstone to determine what is a good interval objectively.

Blackstone Laboratory

In the US, lots of $ is spend on educating drivers to change oil every 3000 miles.  There is no reason to change oil that frequent. 

The 3000-5000 oil change interval and OEM factory oil and air filters have a proven 450-650,000 mile track record

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/smog.jpg

You wont learn thngs like this by following the Bobistheoilguy forum

The Bobistheoilguy forum is owned, administered and moderated by

a bunch of specialty lube, filter, fluid and additive salesmen . These

salesmen don't have to physically travel around a sales territory

anymore making sales calls because from home, they can now just sit at

the keyboard and run the Bobistheoilguy forum to generate their sales

and income.

These salesman use amazingly effective and clever methods (e.g oil

analysis) of convincing the public that the factory original lubes, fluids

and filters are of marginal quality and therefore limit the potential life

or reliability of the engine, transmission, power steering, etc.

The public, as a result, developes a "miracle in a can" mentality in regard

to preventing and correcting mechanical or drivability problems. Thus, the loyal

followers of the Bobistheoilguy forum become, in effect, specialty product

and oil analysis Junkies.

Example: If ticking noises develop in a Lexus V8, the engine needs a valve

clearance adjustment. But the Bobistheoilguy Junkies will immediately start

adding $25 a bottle gasoline and oil additives or switich to specialty synthetic

oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil or Red Line or install specialty oil filters like

K&N, Amsoil, etc. in an attempt to "clean away" or "cushion" whatever is

causing the ticking noise. And the Bobistheoilguy forum owners, administrators

and moderators will be laughing - all the way to the bank.

Yeah this has been done to death and almost ALWAYS sparks a hideous discussion that winds up getting deleted, making enemies, or worse getting members banned. There is probably 20-30 pages of posts on this topic already, best to search to get the info you're looking for.

Thread closed :cheers: