Please Help...car Has Problem Starting!

I have a 1996 GS 300. I have changed the battery. I put in a new negative battery cable. The problem has not gone away. When I go to start the car, I turn the key and it just clicks once. I have to turn the key back and forth about 2 or 3 times before the car will start. What could it be? Anyone else had this problem before? Please HELP! :cries:

i THINK your issue is the starter.  My bro has 94 gs300 that had the same issue.. What we did was opened up the starter and cleaned the bushing.. but if u cant do all that then i would suggest a new starter.

Was it hard to do that? Does anyone know how much a new starter would be?

not spark plugs

the click is the starter solenoid making contact but not enough power to turn the starter

if it turns over after a few clicks then the solenoid needs to be removed and cleaned then change the starter wires and battery grounds

not spark plugs

the click is the starter solenoid making contact but not enough power to turn the starter

if it turns over after a few clicks then the solenoid needs to be removed and cleaned then change the starter wires and battery grounds

Can anyone tell me how to change the starter on my car? Is it hard to do?

• 1 year later...
not spark plugs

Can anyone tell me how to change the starter on my car? Is it hard to do?

Did you change the starter yourself?

I have a 1996 GS 300. I have changed the battery. I put in a new negative battery cable. The problem has not gone away. When I go to start the car, I turn the key and it just clicks once. I have to turn the key back and forth about 2 or 3 times before the car will start. What could it be? Anyone else had this problem before? Please HELP! :cries:

ok number one you have to check if all the wire connections on the battery terminal are tight including the terminal to battery bolt. next if this is ok see if you can bang on the starter when its not starting and when you bang on it and it starts then its your starter. autozone will sell you a lifetime starter

not sure if this helps

not spark plugs

agreed. no need to buy a new starter. it's the solenoid contacts. $15 from toyota for a new kit. this link tells how to do it.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html